Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,182 times

Advertisements

Hi,

For past one month, I am keep falling sleep at work. Few times, my co-worker caught me.
For example, I went to bed at 11 PM and I woke up at 7:15. Then I came to work at 9. Around 10 to 11 AM, I can't keep my eyes open, I feel like I need to sleep. I feel the same thing in the afternoon.

I did go to doctor, he said my thyroid is very low. He gave medicine for that.

I don't drink coffee or Tea. For morning, I drink juice and I eat oat meal.

Any of you had or having this kind of issues? If yes, please let me know what you are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,669,615 times
Are you getting plenty of water? You may also want to add some protein to your breakfast. A mix of oatmeal and juice is good for a rush of energy, but the come down could be hard.
Are you working at a desk with a computer monitor? And does reading make you sleepy or hard to follow what you are reading?
If so, you may want to look into something that helps with reading. I do not know the official and medical term or condition, but the solution is tinted glasses. Not just any tinted glasses, try are of a specific tint and color.
A co-workers son was having trouble with studies in school and the doctor gave him blue-grey glasses and all his reading and concentration issues went away.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Hi,

For past one month, I am keep falling sleep at work. Few times, my co-worker caught me.
For example, I went to bed at 11 PM and I woke up at 7:15. Then I came to work at 9. Around 10 to 11 AM, I can't keep my eyes open, I feel like I need to sleep. I feel the same thing in the afternoon.

I did go to doctor, he said my thyroid is very low. He gave medicine for that.

I don't drink coffee or Tea. For morning, I drink juice and I eat oat meal.

Any of you had or having this kind of issues? If yes, please let me know what you are doing.
How long has it been since you started thyroid meds? It takes a while & then may still need readjusting the dosage.

Best of health...!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:15 PM

Bongo: I have been taking the thyroid for past two months.

OwlKaMyst: For the day, I drink about two cups of water. I know it's very low. I will start drinking more water starting today. I sit front of computer whole day, I will look into blue-gray glasses.

Thank you so much.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:22 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
The same thing was happening to my husband. He had a vitamin D deficiency. He now takes prescription vitamin D and is doing much much better. It might be worth checking into.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
You may need to be in bed at 9-10. I took a while figuring out that my best sleep cycle is if I go to bed by 10pm. I'm an early riser, up by 5ish even on weekends. If I'm up til 11 I can feel the difference. Maybe try a hot soak in the tub about 45 min. before bedtime. Try a fragrant bath oil...lavender aroma is restful. Read a novel or listen to soft music to fall asleep. Get one of those alarm clocks that you can hit a timer, and the music will go off and your alarm is still working. You just may not be getting restful sleep. How's your mattress?? a good mattress, sleep foam mattress and pillows helped me.
Unless you aren't allowed coffee...I would try a cup of coffee or earl grey tea mid morning...w/ an energy bar. Hope this helps. Your thyroid meds might need to be adjusted (have you read the side effects?? is being sleepy one of them??) if you are still tired...Check w/ your Doctor. Good luck to you.
Here is a website that has some interesting info Causes of Sleepiness and Fatigue and How to Fight Them -- Slideshow

Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You may need to be in bed at 9-10. I took a while figuring out that my best sleep cycle is if I go to bed by 10pm. I'm an early riser, up by 5ish even on weekends. If I'm up til 11 I can feel the difference. Maybe try a hot soak in the tub about 45 min. before bedtime. Try a fragrant bath oil...lavender aroma is restful. Read a novel or listen to soft music to fall asleep. Get one of those alarm clocks that you can hit a timer, and the music will go off and your alarm is still working. You just may not be getting restful sleep. How's your mattress?? a good mattress, sleep foam mattress and pillows helped me.
Unless you aren't allowed coffee...I would try a cup of coffee or earl grey tea mid morning...w/ an energy bar. Hope this helps. Your thyroid meds might need to be adjusted (have you read the side effects?? is being sleepy one of them??) if you are still tired...Check w/ your Doctor. Good luck to you.
Here is a website that has some interesting info Causes of Sleepiness and Fatigue and How to Fight Them -- Slideshow
Thank you so much. I think one of the problem is my mattress. It's about 13 years old, beat up pretty bad, I think I need to invest in good mattress.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Thank you so much. I think one of the problem is my mattress. It's about 13 years old, beat up pretty bad, I think I need to invest in good mattress.
You are sure welcome. Hopefully some of these ideas by all of us will help. It could be a few combined things. I also want to tell you, that Walmart has some awesome bath soaks....I believe it's called "Village" brand, in funky looking old time canning jars, very reasonably priced...They have one that is for tired muscles....the fragrance is nice, and the effect is it makes you really relaxed. Hope you'll try that in a hot bath. I discovered it a couple years ago when I had some flu symptoms and aching muscles, sure helped me sleep. If you can't get a new mattress right now those mattress toppers made out of that memory foam, usually about $100, are really worth it. They make a memory foam pillow too. Hope some of these suggestions work to help you. Get some rest...
PS...If you really don't so coffee or tea...maybe some gum, or hard candy...just enough sugar to help.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,709,569 times
Default Do you snore?

If you snore, you could be suffering from sleep apnea, where you actually cease breathing for a short period of time many times during the night. If you have a SO or family member who can fill you in, that could be the beginning of a solution.

Tiredness is a symptom of many things and should be discussed with your physician. My medical degree came out of a cracker jack box!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:00 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,042,801 times
Maybe your iron is low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals