Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 724 times

Advertisements

Even I use the same. It is very comfortable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 04:50 AM

572 posts, read 325,001 times
Hiking shoes are more comfortable for cycling. Though for professionals there are special flat shoes for more grip and easier paddling.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:40 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Sketchers used to make a shoe called the Biker, and it was my favorite for cycling. I still have one pair, and these are similar.
Very comfortable, not a "fat" shoe so no worries about the toe scrubbing my front tire (which can happen on my mountain bike because of the geometry of that particular bike if I wear running or hiking shoes). Anyway, Sketchers similar to these are all I ever wear cycling.

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/sk...ctiveColor=037

Old 09-15-2021, 08:54 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Sketchers used to make a shoe called the Biker, and it was my favorite for cycling. I still have one pair, and these are similar.
Very comfortable, not a "fat" shoe so no worries about the toe scrubbing my front tire (which can happen on my mountain bike because of the geometry of that particular bike if I wear running or hiking shoes). Anyway, Sketchers similar to these are all I ever wear cycling.

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/sk...ctiveColor=037

I wear these for cycling, and do a minimum of 42 miles a day, 6 days a week. They work great for me. Just bought another new pair:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-04-2021, 02:37 PM

1,952 posts, read 827,682 times
As a mt biker, I wear nothing but 5.10 shoes. They are the best for our spiked platform pedals.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:02 AM

92 posts, read 112,007 times
A half-year late to this thread, but just in case a bicycling newbie comes along in the future -- cycling shoes have a stiff sole to prevent your foot from bending down over the pedal axle when you push down. It is this bending that eventually causes discomfort and pain. Yes, the stiff sole also enhances pedaling efficiency as already mentioned, but the main reason is pain prevention. Of course a person who only rides around the block once or twice will probably not ever experience foot discomfort, but the more miles you do, the more likely foot pain will happen. When I started riding, it was when I got up to 15-20 mile rides that pain appeared.

If you want to use "clip-in"* pedals, then you just have to choose a shoe/pedal combination according to your riding style. Road shoes have hard plastic outsoles, mountain biking shoes are more like hiking shoes, and touring shoes are more like sneakers. Obviously one can use any style of shoe for any type of riding, but a slick sole will not be helpful in on the mountain trail. Pick a shoe type you want, and then a pedal that matches the bolt pattern of your shoe.

If you want to use a biking shoe but do not want to clip in, then you can buy regular pedals that either have a clip on one side only and a regular pedal surface on the other, or just plain old-style pedals with no clips at all.

Another option that is becoming more popular are platform pedals and cleat-less shoes that a lot of mtn. bikers use. These pedals have a large surface area with metal or plastic pins that stick up from the surface. The shoes look like sneakers, have no deep lugs like a hiking boot, and they rely on the pedal pins to help keep your feet on the pedals. This is the setup I use on my road bike, as I often ride in plain tennis shoes, and the wide platform of the pedals prevents my foot from bending over the pedal axle (I do use a cleat-less mtn. biking shoe for longer rides). For someone who is just starting the put on the miles in regular shoes and is now starting to get some foot discomfort, you might try a set of polymer platform pedals ($40-$60) and see how it goes. You might find that you won't need a true biking shoe. And if you do progress in miles from there and start experiencing foot discomfort, get a set of mtn. biking shoes. If you progress past that, then you will be ready for some type of clip-in pedals, although some very proficient and experienced riders don't ever feel the need. I used hard-soled road shoes and clip-in pedals from Look for a number of years. Now, I just don't feel the need.

Biking shoes can be expensive, but there are plenty under $100, and as of today there are a number of shoes of all types under $75. Therefore, one can use actual biking shoes for the same price as a good pair of regular sneakers. I just purchased a pair of Pearl Izumi biking shoes for $67, so the good prices are out there.

*Clip-in pedals are actually referred to as "clipless" pedals, even though they have what is commonly referred to as a clip mechanism. The "clipless" term actually came about because long ago there was a pedal that had a metal or plastic hoop (more or less) over the end of the pedal and that the rider would stick his toes into, and then cinch up a strap that went around the entire foot. Clip-in pedals eliminated the "over-the-foot" clip, and were therefore called "clipless". That is why a clip-in pedal is called a clipless pedal. Confusing, I know......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling