Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 01:06 PM

10,830 posts, read 4,506,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
LG, Sony and Samsung make the best TV's. Period.
I my opinion, in that order, but others will disagree. lol

Vizio is crap and doesn't care about TV's very much, just data mining what you watch. This is why Walmart is buying them.

bwahahahaha

1) All connected tvs send back data
2) All of these have mics in them
3) The netflix, roku, prime, hulu, tubi, paramount, peacock, youtube all send back data (prolly others, these are just the ones I catch)

Go look at your router logs and the crap they are outbounding, while you watch the device, or in the case of a TV or Fire tablet, listen to in the house.

You agreed to this when you accepted the EULA in order to use it.

PS: Our last Vizio TV came from Target....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 08:20 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
bwahahahaha

Quote:
1) All connected tvs send back data
If I plug a Roku into my TV, the TV is not sending anything. The Roku does, not the TV.

Quote:

2) All of these have mics in them
Flat out wrong.

Quote:

3) The netflix, roku, prime, hulu, tubi, paramount, peacock, youtube all send back data (prolly others, these are just the ones I catch)
OBVIOUSLY.

Quote:
Go look at your router logs and the crap they are outbounding, while you watch the device, or in the case of a TV or Fire tablet, listen to in the house.
I know you aren't new around here. You know damn well I know my stuff, don't you? I surely have proven that in the 8-10 years I have been here helping people.

OF COURSE the apps send data. How are they going to know what episode I am on? What kinds of recommendations to show me. This is fine. This is acceptable.

Do I need to go in-depth about why Vizio sucks?

They had an issue where the OLED TV's wouldn't turn on after you turned them off. Because Vizio gives you ZERO options to a) decide if you want to take an update or B) allow you to roll back an update, 100's of us, all commiserating on Reddit waited 10 MONTHS for Vizio to roll out an update. For 10 months at least 2x a week I had to unplug my TV and plug it back in to get it to turn on.

10 months without an update, unable to roll back.

Finally fixed that. I turned off the wifi and used a Roku because the TV was finally working right. One minor annoyance was when using OTA antenna input, you couldn't get a guide. And there was no really easy way to scroll TV channels. But it was serviceable.

Now, I don't remember why, but I did turn on the wifi again and accidentally got another update. This caused a problem with the Vizio screensaver not going away when the Roku was active so you had to touch the Vizio remote to make it go away. Madness. That was eventually fixed....with the update that moved the OTA channels into an app.

Ah yea, that update was REAL popular...another big time screw up...understand that Vizio COULDN'T monitor what you were watching when the antenna was hooked up. So, you know how Roku has "Live channels" like Pluto and Google...literally everyone has these "Free Live Channels" now? Vizio moved the antenna into their version of Live Channels called Watchfree+.

To see how popular of an idea that was, spend a few minutes here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VIZIO_Offic...hannel_update/

Vizio, doubling down on making more money of your data then they did hardware.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/10/...rivacy-q3-2021

Quote:
PS: Our last Vizio TV came from Target....
Not sure what that has to do with anything? But I truly hope it is your last Vizio TV.

Meanwhile on my LG I can say NO to updates AND I can roll updates back with a USB stick if I want. Same with Samsung.

Look at any other Reddit sub for TV's and tell me you see the same amount of complaints:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VIZIO_Official/

Old 03-12-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:

If I plug a Roku into my TV, the TV is not sending anything. The Roku does, not the TV.

does the tv have a wifi conenction? Unless you have MAC filtering it is AT LEAST sending UDPs. You cannot escape that. The newer you get, they wont even let you turn it on unless you accept the EULA - zero opt out.

Quote:
Flat out wrong.
wanna bet? bring it over. how much you give me for each mic and or sensor I find in it?

Quote:

Do I need to go in-depth about why Vizio sucks?

no. ALL of my tvs are vizio except for the sony in the mancave I got at auction. But if they still show pictures, I have switched so many over to roku du jour (NEVER amazon, all amazon spies) - especially the ones that no longer get software updates, 3 of the D or E24s no longer have viable nextflix, prime or hulu aps and still do duty in bedrooms, guest rooms etc. The E50 we got in 2016 is perhaps the BEST one in terms of working with my ARC stuff, software updates, and just plain old not freaking out.

Quote:

They had an issue where the OLED TV's wouldn't turn on after you turned them off. Because Vizio gives you ZERO options to a) decide if you want to take an update or B) allow you to roll back an update, 100's of us, all commiserating on Reddit waited 10 MONTHS for Vizio to roll out an update. For 10 months at least 2x a week I had to unplug my TV and plug it back in to get it to turn on.

10 months without an update, unable to roll back.

dunno about that, but I have worked with vizio support re: programming an update and issues with ARC on a NEWer 50 inch we got 3 years ago.

Quote:

Now, I don't remember why, but I did turn on the wifi again and accidentally got another update. This caused a problem with the Vizio screensaver not going away when the Roku was active so you had to touch the Vizio remote to make it go away. Madness. That was eventually fixed....with the update that moved the OTA channels into an app.

also out of bounds, but if you have comcast (and other cable companies perhaps - I dunno) equipment, you have the 2.4Ghz SSID, the 5ghz SSID, the comcast SSID and you have a non-broadcast ssid.

*all* the tv manus have paid for this access, you cannot stop it short of not using the comcast router, and I thot I was safe BUT it has recently come to attention that the cable 'box' with coax or HDMI output for the TV has yet ANOTHER non broadcast ssid in it your equipment can access.

This issue in this thread is not so much if vizio sucks. If you want true suck buy hisense or ONN.

The real issue is the spying and THESE hooks into the apps are where most of your problem originate. Its not like they can publish the API, then everyone would be writing homegrown to spy, sorta like what they did with the IP stack in windows right?

oh, and if your remote has the new sexy - voice access - then that is EASIER to spy than a mic in the tv. you are holding the damn thing in your hand.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Not sure what that has to do with anything? But I truly hope it is your last Vizio TV.

oh I forgot, you said that the reason walmart buys vizio (it actually sells them and vizio pays to be on the shelf) was the cheapness of vizio.

the vizio tvs at walmart are not - by far - the worst that they sell. so much so that I pointed out the last 50 incher, a 4K, came from target. I dont think origin has much to do outside of model number.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:34 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
OP, I hope you got what you needed to know out of this thread, since it's apparently been hijacked by a Big Richard contest.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
OP, I hope you got what you needed to know out of this thread, since it's apparently been hijacked by a Big Richard contest.

good point. posts #1 (the OP) and #11 are the only ones that discuss the model tv and its tantrums. please delete all the rest

Old 03-13-2024, 07:14 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Quote:
This issue in this thread is...

The real issue is...
The issue (for the OP) seems to be moot at this point. New Samsung was purchased.

The issue for me is that the Vizio doesn't do what it's supposed to when you press the button. While my first Vizio is older, non-smart and has worked perfectly since day 1, my second Vizio is "smart" and had problems since day 1. Finally had to have Vizio replace it.

The replacement Vizio also has problems. About once a week, the TV doesn't turn on (without unplugging it first). "Not turning on" is a real issue that puts the TV in the suck category...for me. If I have Vizio fix/replace/whatever the TV (again), I may very well end up with a worse problem, so for now I put up with unplugging it once a week.

Last edited by akrausz; 03-13-2024 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-13-2024, 08:49 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
wanna bet? bring it over. how much you give me for each mic and or sensor I find in it?

I would bet you any amount of money my LG TV does not have have a microphone. I suppose you think they are always listening too? Not sure about the Vizio as I barely use the $1,200 OLED TV I bought as it is the guest room TV now. THis is how much we hated it.

Big dick contest? Really Sanybelle? Wow.... Topics go off subject all the time. This is nothing new. And continuing to discuss how much Vizio sucks isn't even really all that off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics