Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 01:27 PM

409 posts, read 872,735 times

Advertisements

I've got to the point where it is time to purchase a new computer to repalce/supplement the one I have now.

I'm leaining towards to purchasing a laptop, even though I would prefer a desktop, due to the fact that the location where I use the computer has no physcial internet connections.

I would use it for limited work at home (Microsoft Office/Word/Excel/power point), internet surfing, emails, watching you tube, social media, personal writing, and some light game playing (Games as such as Civilization type games, Hearts of Iron and games like that, Simulation games such as Simcity and Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program manager.) I would use a console system for more intensive games. I would use a streaming device to watch streaming services as opposed to the computer.

Work may require me to view videos/listen to recordings on occasion, so an optic device might be desirable, either a Blu-ray/Dvd or flash drive.

I'm getting older and my eyesight is not getting any better, so I would lean towards to one with a larger screen. I would also like it if I could have a mouse with the computer, I find that easier.

I'm looking for something that wouldn't bankrupt me.

The purchase would be sometime in the next two months.

What suggestions do the peanut gallery have for what particular computer/specifications I should consider getting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 06:44 AM

1,097 posts, read 646,821 times
No need to lean towards a laptop just for wifi, since you can have wifi on a desktop. Decide whether you want a desktop or laptop and someone might recommend one for you.

Old 04-19-2024, 07:30 AM

3,647 posts, read 1,601,831 times
You only need a laptop if you want to take your computer with you to other rooms or places. If not get a desktop, which offers more flexibility when you want to add or upgrade something.

With a desktop you can add a mouse, change to a different keyboard, upgrade the video card, any type of change you want. You can get up to a 27" monitor on a typical newer model PC. Above 27" is higher end use and more expensive.

I never buy a new PC because the high prices. I check Amazon Renewed first and there are many selections from low to high price. For example I typed "amazon renewed desktop pc" at Amazon and I found this:

Quote:
Dell Optiplex 9020 Small Form Factor Desktop with Intel Core i7-4770 Upto 3.9GHz, HD Graphics 4600 4K Support, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, DisplayPort, HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - Windows 10 Pro
for $213.59

Now, it is 10 years old. But it's been refurbished and upgraded, and can last for many years. It may not be able to install Win11. The main component to look at in a refurb is the storage drive and how old it is, as an older storage drive will need to be replaced at some time.

SSD is what you want for much faster performance over an HDD.

For games check the game minimum requirements for details on CPU etc. Especially if you are considering a refurb.

Also the wi-fi included in a PC may be a cheaper dongle and not reliable. If so, would need to upgrade to a better dongle or even a wifi card. Refurbs may have something you'll need to upgrade.

Last edited by james112; 04-19-2024 at 08:04 AM..

Old 04-19-2024, 07:32 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post

How are we supposed to know what will bankrupt you? How about a budget?

Old 04-19-2024, 07:51 AM

230 posts, read 189,866 times
I love these from Amazon Renewed
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KSGKHVS...lig_dp_it&th=1

Old 04-19-2024, 09:04 AM

409 posts, read 872,735 times
If at all possible, I would prefer a desktop as opposed to laptop. As to budget, I'm looking at something between 1000-2000, but I do have some wiggle room upwards.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:21 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
I think when windows 12 comes out toward the end of the year the operating specs for the computer to run it will be a lot higher than 11. You might want to consider this possibility.

I think you will find all computers can receive wifi over the air if your router is broadcasting wifi. You could have interference from walls etc.

As long as you have blue tooth you should be able to use a mouse.

Old 04-19-2024, 07:43 PM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
I've got to the point where it is time to purchase a new computer to repalce/supplement the one I have now.

I'm leaining towards to purchasing a laptop, even though I would prefer a desktop, due to the fact that the location where I use the computer has no physcial internet connections.

I would use it for limited work at home (Microsoft Office/Word/Excel/power point), internet surfing, emails, watching you tube, social media, personal writing, and some light game playing (Games as such as Civilization type games, Hearts of Iron and games like that, Simulation games such as Simcity and Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program manager.) I would use a console system for more intensive games. I would use a streaming device to watch streaming services as opposed to the computer.

Work may require me to view videos/listen to recordings on occasion, so an optic device might be desirable, either a Blu-ray/Dvd or flash drive.

I'm getting older and my eyesight is not getting any better, so I would lean towards to one with a larger screen. I would also like it if I could have a mouse with the computer, I find that easier.

The purchase would be sometime in the next two months.

What suggestions do the peanut gallery have for what particular computer/specifications I should consider getting?
Laptops are nice to travel with of course. And you can always get a simple docking station, and a monitor on a stand, wireless keyboard and mouse for your desk - that to me would be a nice rig, and leaves you with the flexibility to take the laptop on the road if you travel. That is what I have at home for my work laptop. A real mouse has much better ergonomics than a mousepad, and even a conventional keyboard beats the laptop keyboard. I use a 27in Dell IPS monitor that was $320 - nowadays quality monitors are so cheap, no need to be stuck with the laptop screen if you're using it at a fixed desk at home, and the monitor comes with USB output to keep the laptop powered and charged.

For my personal computer, I also have an "all-in-one" machine - a Dell Inspiron 5400, with an i7 CPU and 16GB RAM - it was $1,240, 3.5 years ago, it's still fine capabilities-wise today. It has a 24in integral monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse. Aside from the power cord, there are no exposed wires on this system, so very streamlined and no birds nest of cables. I am 64yo and work in IT. Like you, I also prefer a decent sized screen. Doesn't need to be huge, but I don't want to stare at a 14in screen all day!

Old 04-20-2024, 07:42 AM

6,419 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Buy a Dell. I have had at least 10 and they IMHO and perform better and last longer than others. With that budget you can get a really sweet machine. I am on an 8 years old one now still going strong.

Old 04-20-2024, 12:44 PM

1,139 posts, read 615,707 times
100% get a desktop.

You get a lot more bang (power, usability) for your buck if you don't need portability of a laptop.

Because you aren't exactly a power user and your games are low / moderate intensive, you can actually get any non-gamer desktop or a low - end gaming setup.

Your budget is ample. Even at the low end of $1,000 you have a bunch of choices for low- mid end gaming rigs.

Asus, Dell, Lenovo and even some of the Acers.

If I were you, I'd check all the local electronics places for sales - for example the local BestBuy here has been advertising an ASUS gaming rig on sale for $899 - (reg $1,399). Very decent current CPU, a high end but old GPU (still very capable for mid games), 16 GB RAM, 1TB nVME drive, and decent power supply.

Then plop another $200 - $300 for a decent 27" - 32" monitor... and Bob's your uncle.

There was also a decent ACER gaming rig on sale for $649 (reg $949). Less bells and whistles as the above, but still quite enough power for you.

Wherever you buy it, make sure that their service is good. A warranty is only as good as the seller who stands behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers