Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:21 PM

115 posts, read 541,293 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to Columbus,GA by October. I'm from (B.R.)Louisiana and moved to Jacksonville, Fl and hate it. If you are not strong in God these people will make a saved person become a backslider( but the devil is a liar)! Where I'm from theres great food, and friendly family oriented people like I've heard about in Georgia. I will be graduating soon to become a Surgical Tech and I was thinking Columbus. Do anyone have any advice about Columbus or a place in Georgia where it's things to do and places to go when my family comes to visit. I don't do clubs. Atl is party city I gave that up for Jesus so I would want to be where I can find a church. Help a sista? Please respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 07:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Default Fort Benning is located near Columbus

Attractions near Columbus:
http://www.visitcolumbusga.com/see.cfm (broken link)

Google for some churches that might support your beliefs. Then go and see for yourself.

Good Luck.

sls

Old 05-07-2007, 09:55 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
I know several people who live in the Columbus area, and while it's a smaller city, it's big on the arts for a town this size. Yes, there is a sizeable "church crowd" but I don't think it's one of those "Jesus in your face" places, either (which from the wording of your post I'm wondering if that is the type of person you are (?). No offense if you are, but Columbus isn't as big on that kind of stuff as people think.

Albany, Tifton, and across the line in Alabama (Auburn/Opelika) are more conservative "religious" towns.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:54 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,891 times
Keki, Columbus has something for everyone. I must be honest and tell you, that if you are looking for an ultra-conservative town this is not the place, nor is it a far left town either. It is very middle of the road. The city likes to give the appearance that it has a small town feel and some respect it does, because there are very few buildings here taller than ten stories (that's by design), but don't let the lack of sky scrappers fool you. This city has one of finest art, music, religeous, recreational and park scenes to be found anywhere in Georgia. This city is rich in history and culture with something for everyone. There are about 600,000 people in the area (there are two metro areas side by side plus some other counties not in metro areas that are within a 30 minutes drive)

Old 05-10-2007, 08:56 AM

670 posts, read 2,998,816 times
Well I was from California, lived in Baton Rouge ten years, Dallas ten years, and now Columbus and I'm sorry but our experience has been unless you are involved actively in a church--you are an outsider. My children have experienced this in PUBLIC SCHOOLS where they were voting to see which churches they went to.

Now there are some nice things about Columbus. There is less traffic. Homes are less expensive than currently in Baton Rouge, but more than Dallas and generally built smaller. Property taxes are less. There are a few stores that I was used to shopping at, i.e., Target and say Kohls with more going in all the time slowly (like Ulta yeah!).

But the thing that surprised me most is people are pretty rude here compared to the other three states I lived in for a long period of time, as well as the places I've visited (Florida, Washington, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Mississippi, Michigan, and Illinois). That really struck me as odd since my mother, being a Southerner from Louisiana and the majority of her family still there, as well as my inlaws, taught me about "Southern Hospitality" and this place sorely lacks it IMO and experience in the last 7 months.

The other thing that surprised me coming from DFW is that things like cleaning services, carpet cleaning, hair (except for say a Supercuts type dealio), lawn service is at least 25% more than I paid there--but usually a lot more. For example we had our lawn down there (front and back) for $100 a month, the guy here wants $180. When I had estimates for cleaning this house (2000 square feet compared to 3000 in Texas) it was $25 more per visit...for a smaller house. Groceries are also more expensive; however, that could be due to gas prices going up country-wide.

Last edited by USA_Mom; 05-10-2007 at 09:07 AM..

Old 05-12-2007, 11:02 AM

8 posts, read 30,398 times
Default Columbus

Columbus and Jacksonville share a lot of similarities. They are both moving fast economically towards the future and promotes growth and low costs of living. for the reasons metioned in the above posts, Columbus is a great city. For a more conservative one, try Macon. They have more churches per sqaure mile than any other GA city! But dont let image fool you. we have that here in Albany too! And the devil is alive and well here!!!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2007, 12:46 PM

111 posts, read 867,316 times
What do you not like about JAX????

I just moved from Cols. Lived there for 10 years. I honestly didn't appreciate it until I moved away. Now I miss being so close to the river, Callaway Gardens, and Warm Springs. Those were just a few of our favorite things to do. Plus Cols. is really growing in the entertainment and arts area with the new River Center.

As far as religion, well, you ARE in the Bible Belt. That being said, we're not church goers and we hung in there just fine. I suppose it's how you approach things. I'm respectful of other's religions and just do the "smile and be polite" thing when I'm around someone who feels they need to "save" everyone in their life. I was raised mostly around Baptists, so I know how to "handle" the situation......LOL!!!

There are two very nice hospitals, so finding a job should be no problem.

As far as things to do when family comes....as a mentioned above, Callaway Gardens, Warm Springs, the river walk, Providence Canyon (aka Georgia's Little Grand Canyon), Roosevelt State Park, the Civil War Naval Museum, just to name a few.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:47 PM

thank you for your respond. what do you think about marietta georgia?

Old 05-15-2007, 07:53 PM

28 posts, read 173,485 times
what part of Marietta?

Old 05-15-2007, 08:03 PM

Thanx atlantagreg30127 but I don't push Jesus in anyones face. I'm sorry if you've experience that. I only do what the spirit leads me to. I only wanted to find out info on places where I could possibly get a combination of a nice church, people with good hospitality( whites families, blacks families,neese's families, latino families, indian families)I love all people. Good food, convienent shopping areas (Walmart, malls, grocery etc), and where I can find a good job in my field and nice places to go when Im bored. So does anyone know if Marietta is a good place? I know theres crime everywhere I lived close to New Orleans and I know people from Chicago, I'm covered. I just need your honest opinion about areas in Georgia. Thanks everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA