Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 06:03 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Are there still events planned programmed in Finlay ? May Fest among others used to be there which help promote and draw people into it. Believe it or not the half a million dollar homes that overlook the park likely caused its decline. They influence former Mayor Coble and others to restrict events in the park which cause its popularity to wane starting with the closure of the cafe which used to be rented for parties and weddings. Though I like the look of the homes up there it should have been more of a mixed use community with both multi family rentals and office and retail. That could have encouraged a wide range of people to use the park. Right now the people that live up there simply enjoy the million dollar view but likely spend zero time in the park even when it was "nicer". If I am not mistaken that land where those homes are or a portion of it was city owned

One thing l think that should do is put a train garden in there. One of those ones where you can ride on the back of a replica miniature locomotives and cars....kids and adults love those. I believe there was one in A Greenville Park (though I think it was closed after a wreck). It could run around the lake and if the city is more bold up the bike trail into Elmwood Neighborhood near the cemetery. It could shuttle people back and forth while providing an attraction that brings adults and kids into the park. It could also run south thru the tunnel and end at Lady St in the vista or it could simply be a trackless tram that runs along the trail if physical rails are too intrusive or expensive This pay homage to the areas industrial past as railroad hub As for the Homeless people They only look scary when they dominate an empty space void of others

Last edited by Woodlands; 06-07-2016 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 06:28 AM

306 posts, read 393,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Are there still events planned programmed in Finlay ? May Fest among others used to be there which help promote and draw people into it. Believe it or not the half a million dollar homes that overlook the park likely caused its decline. They influence former Mayor Coble and others to restrict events in the park which cause its popularity to wane starting with the closure of the cafe which used to be rented for parties and weddings. Though I like the look of the homes up there it should have been more of a mixed use community with both multi family rentals and office and retail. That could have encouraged a wide range of people to use the park. Right now the people that live up there simply enjoy the million dollar view but likely spend zero time in the park even when it was "nicer". If I am not mistaken that land where those homes are or a portion of it was city owned

One thing l think that should do is put a train garden in there. One of those ones where you can ride on the back of a replica miniature locomotives and cars....kids and adults love those. I believe there was one in A Greenville Park (though I think it was closed after a wreck). It could run around the lake and if the city is more bold up the bike trail into Elmwood Neighborhood near the cemetery. It could shuttle people back and forth while providing an attraction that brings adults and kids into the park. It could also run south thru the tunnel and end at Lady St in the vista or it could simply be a trackless tram that runs along the trail if physical rails are too intrusive or expensive This pay homage to the areas industrial past as railroad hub As for the Homeless people They only look scary when they dominate an empty space void of others
The train was at Cleveland Park in Spartanburg and was removed following the mentioned wreck as it produced a fatal injury. Could be tough to get Columbia to consider incorporating a train in a plan considering that event.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:53 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Heritage Park in Simpsonville has a large train that takes famlies/kids around the park. It is quite nice.

I believe the Pavilion recreational complex in Greenville also has one on its grounds.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:15 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

Mayfest hasn't been around for years. The summer concert series is still held in Finlay Park on Saturday nights and Shakespeare in the Park is still held there.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:33 PM

157 posts, read 248,730 times
Does anyone know what the status is on fixing the Columbia canal, because it's still in disrepair after the flood

Old 06-07-2016, 04:43 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,843,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucjanrc View Post
Does anyone know what the status is on fixing the Columbia canal, because it's still in disrepair after the flood
They've been working on it since November.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:51 PM

157 posts, read 248,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
They've been working on it since November.
I've been out there many times and I've seen no progress and no workers.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:17 AM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Default Fema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucjanrc View Post
I've been out there many times and I've seen no progress and no workers.
Based on news reports, Haley expected to get a lot more from FEMA than she did. Given how little the state has allocated itself, the burden seems to fall on Columbia. It's such an inopportune time given the cease of water/sewer fund transfers (not to mention the $750M EPA judgment), the obligations related to Columbia Common, and the small tax base. I doubt Richland County kicks much in, so that project might fall down the priority list until the city pushes through a rate increase. Of course raising rates would be political suicide since people are still reeling from the recent utilities increases. The city seems more focused on rebuilding bridges, which actually is probably a better use of its resources at this point. Let's just hope SC doesn't have another heavy rain in the next year or two.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:13 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
A dried up canal at the museums and the broken fountain at Finlay park hurt me to think about for Columbia.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:36 AM

611 posts, read 920,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
A dried up canal at the museums and the broken fountain at Finlay park hurt me to think about for Columbia.
but at least we have a shiny new baseball stadium hidden away at bull street!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area