Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 11:04 AM

9 posts, read 69,627 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to Colorado for my husband's work. He would have the northern Colorado offices to manage. We have kids ages 15, 13, and 9. If we move by this summer our two older kids will be a junior and freshman. Our youngest child would enter 5th grade. We live in San Diego and our kids attend school in one of the best school districts. We want them to continue to excel in their academics and enjoy life in a kid friendly town like our current one. Being able to play club soccer is a plus since that is their year round sport here. Our kids are very athletic and can snowboard quite well for living in southern California -- I suppose a good thing for living in Colorado. Can you make a recommendation? Although Boulder sounds beautiful, I have read a lot of negative things about it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 01:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I'd consider Loveland (quieter, artsy, and friendly) or Ft. Collins (more suburbia, more school / soccer options, and culture of University town)

Personally Berthoud is a nice spot, and very convenient for commute, but not sure the kids would be impressed. It's actually got a lot of community support, and probably close enough to Longmont or Loveland for soccer activities. But with fuel prices...and older kids (soon to be in Jr College or beyond) probably want some town of size and proximity to higher education. You might check into state programs of allowing HS kids to go to college and the state pay the bill. I've heard CO has an option such as ours in WA (Jr and Sr yr in College as an option to HS, works well for some kids). Snowboarding will require a drive, tho Boulder has "eldora" nearby which is ~ok in "high snow / cold" years. There are some very nice places near Boulder, and it might be the less of 'culture shock' coming from CA. Look at Golden also if it will be ok for a 'work' location.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Where will your husband's work be located? I'm assuming he doesn't want a ridiculously long commute.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:51 PM

530 posts, read 2,624,745 times
Have you looked into Louisville? It was recently named the 3rd best place in the country to raise a family. We moved here 2 yrs ago. It just so happens that some of our best friends here also moved 2yrs ago from, San Diego! They say that Louisville is a much better place to raise a family than SD. The Boulder Valley Schools are pretty good. We have other friends who have a 15yo girl who plays soccer all year round. There is so much to do here. Search zip 80027. The high school here is called Monarch if you want to look it up. BTW I have a 14yo son at Monarch and a 12yo daughter in special ed at Louisville Middle. We moved from New Orleans and we couldn't be happier.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:14 PM

Default Best places to live in northern Colorado for families

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's good to hear that Micktooth's San Diego friends are happy in Colorado. That gives me hope since I worry about the complete culture shock and moving my kids from their comfort zone.

I actually did see Louisville come up in city ratings. We also have friends who live in Arvada (80005 zip code), love their area too, and recommended the Jefferson County Public Schools, namely Ralston Valley High. Academics seem to be rated high along with opportunites to continue in the same sports offered in our San Diego high school (lacrosse, soccer, and cross country).

My husband's main office would be in northern Denver and his area to manage would consist of the north part of Denver on up. Although my employer is also located in Colorado Springs I will quit my corporate software engineering job to stay home and take care of kids.

Last edited by soccermomof3; 03-10-2008 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 02:33 PM

A north Denver work location leaves you wide open for most anything in the north metro area. Arvada would be fine. Ralston Valley is a fine high school. Louisville would be great, too. I, too, live there and my kids went to Monarch, got into "good" colleges. In Colorado, if a school doesn't have the sport your child wants to participate in, s/he can participate at the next closest school. My kids did this for gymnastics, participated at Broomfield High. Broomfield is also a place I personally like. There seems to be a good sense of community there. I seem to like places on the edges of the metro. Come out and take a look around!

Old 03-10-2008, 03:44 PM

Katiana --

Have you ever read the reviews about Monarch High at Parent Reviews of Monarch High School - Louisville, Colorado - CO. I read them with a grain of salt but some comments make Monarch High not very appealing.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Well, I just read them now, LOL! I don't put a lot of faith in these things; it seems like the disgruntled are the most likely to post. I was on the MHS website earlier today and found this:

Quote:
Monarch is the sixth best high school in the Denver Metro area
- 5280 Magazine, 2007
5280 is a Denver magazine. Again, I take what they say with a grain of salt, too, but I think their article based their rankings on CSAP scores (Colorado NCLB tests).

My oldest was a freshman the year the school opened, as such a member of the "first in four" class (first class to spend all 4 yrs there), class of 2002. It was really neat to see the school grow. My younger daughter was a member of the class of 2005. By then, it was a much larger school with more course offerings. MHS states that 95% of their students go on to two or four year colleges. My kids were never new students, can't address that issue. I found about 95% of the teachers good to excellent. Of course, there are always a few duds. I would say that the main group of kids for whom Monarch doesn't work is the kids who are marching to the beat of a different drummer. I know a few who transferred out to other schools b/c of that. I also know kids who transferred in. I think the problems you find at Monarch are the same as at any high school.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:23 PM

Thanks Katiana. I'll take a look at the Denver magazine source that you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado