Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:58 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12slides View Post
I would love to hear from people who have already been through it or who are currently going through it.
It took me a very, very long time to earn my Masters. So long that I had to repeat a couple of classes. Worked full time, so could only take one class a semester. Maybe a semester or two I took two classes.

I would not recommend anyone do it the way I did. But, I did it without taking on any student debt.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 03:40 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,353,597 times
I was in a program that was financed by AmeriCorps. As long as I worked for two years full-time in my designated area of need, they paid for my M.S.

The union I am currently in will pay for me to return to school but it's not a lot of money they offer up so I'd probably attend the city college if I saw something of interest to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I will be very interested in reading the posts regarding this topic. We just learned today that one Niece was accepted into a Master's Program at Columbia in NYC. Even with the 50% Tuition Scholarship she received I estimate she will need $50K per year to cover the other half of tuition plus the living expenses in the City. Maybe other posters can offer suggestions that I can pass along to my BIL and SIL.
I think it would depend on what she was pursuing as to whether or not it might be worth it.

I had a friend who wanted to do her post-bacc at Columbia. Then she found out how much it would cost and she decided to go to the local city college. She ended up getting into Harvard/UCLA after going to the city college and was thrilled because she avoided a lot of debt. She said when she initially asked Columbia about paying for the program, they basically pointed her in the direction of taking out a loan.

My husband had a co-worker who was in a very similar situation---she completed her Master's Program at Columbia and took out loans for about 50K/year for two years. She told my husband she ultimately regretted it, as she struggled to pay off the loan. Then again, I probably wouldn't have studied what she did knowing I'd owe 100K after that.

I would suggest she inquire as to any other programs, jobs, etc. they might offer at the school. Don't be surprised if it's a fruitless inquiry, but I'd pursue all avenues with them if I really wanted to go there.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:21 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,934,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I think it would depend on what she was pursuing as to whether or not it might be worth it.

My husband had a co-worker who was in a very similar situation---she completed her Master's Program at Columbia and took out loans for about 50K/year for two years. She told my husband she ultimately regretted it, as she struggled to pay off the loan. Then again, I probably wouldn't have studied what she did knowing I'd owe 100K after that.
I am pretty sure her degree plan is in a career-less field; just like her undergrad degree.

Sigh..............

Old 02-10-2017, 08:52 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
My husband used his GI Bill. I used a small grant and Graduate Assistantship.

Got it done in two years working two part-time jobs and with two young children. Since that day I have never opened that dratted thesis once and am glad I never have to do that again!

Old 02-10-2017, 09:13 AM

45 posts, read 32,300 times
Thanks to all of you who replied!! Really appreciate it.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:14 AM

82 posts, read 81,685 times
I was lucky. I worked full time in my profession while taking grad classes in the late afternoon and at night. Since it was an Education degree, most of the people in those classes were teaching full time and needed those hours for classes. I took about 9 credits a semester. It took me two years from beginning to thesis completion, and I graduated with no loans.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I worked full time and kept my classes to two days a week, arranging my work schedule around it. No need for any loans, kept up a 4.0 which was pretty much required to stay in the program.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:36 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,940 times
I went back to school full-time for two degrees.

For my MBA, I saved about $20k, then moved back in with my family to save on living expenses. Covered tuition with scholarship, fellowship and graduate assistantship and graduated debt-free.

For my Master in Computer Science degree, my wife covered living expenses and I had a teaching assistantship. We still took out $40k+ in loans, but we were able to pay it off within a year of graduation.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 02-10-2017 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 01:22 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,922 times
ASU offered to pay for a M.S. in geotechnical engineering but I'd had enough and went to work instead. Tuition, fees and books only of course. I still would have had to pay for living expenses.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
My wife's company did tuition for her MBA.
I think there were some grade requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities