Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 AM
(-) (-) started this thread

690 posts, read 1,867,066 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to let everyone know it's never too late to pursue your goals and dreams. long story short, he retired from the service (after 20 years), graduated from a small state school in maryland, got accepted to a post doc program, did well (it was a year long full time program) and got accepted to a pretty good med program. of course there were doubters who said he was too old, there were doubters who said he couldn't hack it academically since he was a liberal arts (sociology) undergrad major. his journey isn't over, as it's just really begun but, i know he will do well. anything he's set his mind on accomplishing he has. not bad for a guy who dropped out of high school and got a GED.

it's pretty much why i cringe when i hear people who are only 25 and 30 years old act as if there lives are over. it's the beauty of america.

don't ever let anyone tell you what you can't do!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:22 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,557,712 times
That's fantastic!! Your buddy should be really proud of their accomplishment...

and you sound like a great friend! Congrats to you both!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 PM

143 posts, read 378,150 times
At my med school, I've seen some amazing people attend med school. Congrats on your friend's acceptance. I hope he brings his unique knowledge of the world to the school he attends.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,882,789 times
Thanks....what a pleasant post...good luck to your pal

-);18738481]I just wanted to let everyone know it's never too late to pursue your goals and dreams. long story short, he retired from the service (after 20 years), graduated from a small state school in maryland, got accepted to a post doc program, did well (it was a year long full time program) and got accepted to a pretty good med program. of course there were doubters who said he was too old, there were doubters who said he couldn't hack it academically since he was a liberal arts (sociology) undergrad major. his journey isn't over, as it's just really begun but, i know he will do well. anything he's set his mind on accomplishing he has. not bad for a guy who dropped out of high school and got a GED.

it's pretty much why i cringe when i hear people who are only 25 and 30 years old act as if there lives are over. it's the beauty of america.

don't ever let anyone tell you what you can't do!

[/quote]

Old 04-16-2011, 04:30 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,110,249 times
Posts like these brighten my day and encourage me to give the finger to all those who say "do it before you get old".

Old 04-18-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
That's fantastic!! Your buddy should be really proud of their accomplishment...

and you sound like a great friend! Congrats to you both!

thanks

Old 04-18-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Posts like these brighten my day and encourage me to give the finger to all those who say "do it before you get old".
definitely, stay encouraged and keep believing!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,374,789 times
Wow, that is amazing. Congrats!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:02 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,598,362 times
Can you imagine those opressed savages in other countries where evil dictators took away the freedoms of accumulating college degrees at one's whim (provided sufficient funds, naturally). Thanks to our brave men & women in uniform who defended our cherished freedom just like this one.

You get accepted, you pay, you pass tests and voila - a degree is yours whether you are 25 or 75, Iran or Canada. Raking in a degree is NOT a big deal, neither is shopping at a Wal Mart. What you gonna do with that at the ripe age of 47+ is quite another matter. If you are an independently wealthy, or you have a secure job behind your back, getting another degree is just like a hobby. You may turn your hobby into a business, or you might not, not a big deal, have fun. If you have to turn your degree into Cash flow ASAP to pay bills & loans at the ripe age of 47, especially if your degree is in something unrelated to your previous experience, it's not even a gamble, it's stupidity. Medical field is little bit lenient in this regard and there are a few "feel good stories" about guys in their 40s breaking in the field, but, every year dozens of people win millions in lotteries (it's way more than the number of freshly minted 47 years olds entering medical profession). Other fields are merciless, no feel good stories there.

The guy put in his 20 years, that means GI bill + VA care + $3,000/month at least. For him it's a hobby without major consequences. But, on the other hand, if he takes a loan to put himself through medical school, and considering all the horror stories about student loan mafia, it's a big gamble anyway. However, if some penniless idiot will get inspired by his example, there will not be happy ending there. I've seen a couple of broke guys getting a Ph.D. in engineering in their 50th (with a specific goal of making more $$$ upon graduation), that was sorry looking futility, neither made it through, both were rewarded with an M.S. and both can use their diplomas to wipe their arses, UNEMPLOYABLE.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,695,815 times
He's actually not uncommon. Obviously most student bodies skew toward youngsters, but almost every class has a few people who are older. Your buddy will have the benefit of 20 years of experience living, so some of the things that are "like, OMG" to his classmates, will probably be nothing to him. If anything, he probably has an advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities