Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 12:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree...but now, I couldn't care less, and nobody is forcing me to watch, so I won't.

Its a massive waste of resources, & airtime. That sponsor money shuld be saved, and used to reduce prices instead..."The inflation reduction Bowl"
How is any thing broadcast on TV a waste of resources and airtime? What would you broadcast to replace a bowl game? Many choices are available such as old movies, another dating show such as The Golden Bachelor, reruns of old TV shows like I love Lucy and The Honeymooners, or another crime show series like CSI Miami. Which would be a better use of resources?

Quote:
I also hate how all these Bowl games postpone the 2 games that actually matter by what...3 weeks? Dumb.

By the time the 2 real games are played, I've moved along to other sports or activities...I lose interest.
I'm not a fan of bowl games. I would rather see teams play 10-11 games and have the top 32 teams in a playoff that would end on New Years Day. Teams not selected or once you lose, your season is over and you go back to being a student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 12:41 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Well next season, with the 12 team playoff, there's going to be 4 really good teams eliminated in the quarterfinals not even going to a bowl game, so it will be interesting to see how they fill all those bowls with 4 top teams not even going at all.
This is an interesting point, but I bet anything that at some point the higher up bowls not in the playoffs will end up getting the first round losers. The Power conferences will want that money.

Old 12-06-2023, 03:41 PM

238 posts, read 129,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I like them just for the unusual matchups. As a Tennessee fan, seeing Tennessee playing Iowa is going to be an interesting clash of strengths.
I think there are 5 bowl games (not including playoffs) this year with Big 10 teams matched up against SEC teams. Always a good show with those two conferences.

Can't say I'm a fan of all these realignments though, and yes, I understand that small realignments have happened throughout the decades and that sometimes major ones can happen when a conference collapses.

The current grabs just destroy any and all geographic contiguity and in my opinion make the conferences too big and unwieldy. Michigan State versus Indiana? Great. Minnesota vs. Wisconsin? Wonderful, especially for the people who live in those areas. But Illinois versus UCLA? Meh, who would care about that?

Besides, with these now 16 and 18 team conferences, teams might only play some of their in-conference "rivals" but once every 3 years in many instances.

A ten team conference seems perfect: you play 9 games against your conference every year, one FCS team, and two from outside your conference (which might include a yearly ex-conference "rival"; ex. Georgia vs. Georgia Tech, or Florida vs. Florida State that people expect and which gets ratings).

12 teams starts to get big, but I get it, and in that case it makes sense to break it up into two halves where you play your division opponents every year and then rotate the rest. More than 12 I think is just too much although the SEC makes it work with 14 and I'll admit that that doesn't seem too out of line, but I'll note that there's at least geographic continuity still.

Old 12-06-2023, 05:29 PM

2,045 posts, read 783,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I like them just for the unusual matchups. As a Tennessee fan, seeing Tennessee playing Iowa is going to be an interesting clash of strengths.
I agree ... I'm going to enjoy Penn State vs Mississippi.

Old 12-06-2023, 06:48 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,196 times
as posted earlier: Bowl Games are "products" for sports entertainment.
ratings, gambling, tourism, etc...enough money is made to make them marketable.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:02 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
I like having odd mixes vs. the same ol' regional pairs.

But football is hard to watch. The commercials are constant. I need three other games or a commercial-free movie to have something to turn to every five minutes. (Gotta be three games...with just one or two there's a good chance they'll have commercials on too.)

So that 6-6 matchup? Not good enough to deal with. I might pop in on a few games where I know the teams. And of course the pissed-off bowl.

Old 12-07-2023, 06:46 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Quote:
I also hate how all these Bowl games postpone the 2 games that actually matter by what...3 weeks? Dumb.

By the time the 2 real games are played, I've moved along to other sports or activities...I lose interest.
I hate how these bowl games become advertisements for any bowl which has an SEC team in it and the announcers spend 4 quarters talking about Alabama or Georgia, and neither of them is even in the game we are watching !!!!

I tell you this: Barstool Sports will once again, put on the best broadcast in Arizona That is the Number one Main Event Bowl to watch. All others are the under card.

Old 12-07-2023, 06:49 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I hate how these bowl games become advertisements for any bowl which has an SEC team in it and the announcers spend 4 quarters talking about Alabama or Georgia, and neither of them is even in the game we are watching !!!!

I tell you this: Barstool Sports will once again, put on the best broadcast in Arizona That is the Number one Main Event Bowl to watch. All others are the under card.
I avoid all the nattering by the talking heads because my hearing is really, really bad, so I just mute the tube and watch the game.

Old 12-07-2023, 10:47 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I avoid all the nattering by the talking heads because my hearing is really, really bad, so I just mute the tube and watch the game.
Ditto, I walk away or tune out or channel surf. No way I am listening to them going on about "Jake from State Farm" or "Tostitos". The fact that I know those sponsors just grinds my gears.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:58 AM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
There were more than seven. The Bluebonnet and Liberty Bowls, example started in 1959. The Independence Bowl started in 1976. There were many other bowls now defunct that last for one or several years such as the Bacardi Bowl played in Cuba starting in 1907.
Yes you are right that as time went on, more games were added. I was more referring to the seven I named because they were the only ones from the mid 1940s until the late 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football