Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Visually largest city?
Houston 88 58.28%
Miami 63 41.72%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 11:18 AM

9,960 posts, read 6,670,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbits View Post
Outside of Miami and Miami Beach punching waaay above their weight for their population and land area sizes, here's some other dense cities around South Florida that have their very own thing going on, and almost all come complete with their own "downtown area", which the Houston Metro has absolutely nothing like them to compare to.

I mean come on look at the names of these places. Almost all of them are pretty widely known in many different kinds of social circles around the U.S. and the world, for many different reasons. There's a bunch more down there too. Somehow it all comes together in a beautifully urban chaotic harmony.

Miami
Miami Beach
Fort Lauderdale
Hollywood
Coral Gables
Pompano Beach
Palm Beach
West Palm Beach
Lake Worth
Weston
Boca Raton
Deerfield Beach
Key Biscayne
Boynton Beach
Aventura
Wellington
Hialeah
Bal Harbour
Doral
Surfside
Palm Beach Gardens
Wilton Manors
Hallandale Beach
Boynton Beach
Kendall
Delray Beach
Coconut Grove
Jupiter
Sunny Isles Beach

Feel free to post a list of your favorite cities around the Houston area.
This isn’t about playing favorites. Both of these places are among my favorites in the country. As I mentioned above, outside of the coastal areas, non city limit Miami is a linear endless suburbia of subdivisions, strip malls and palm trees. All of the inland places you named feel and are nothing but suburban. Why did you even mention Doral? Great place and all. Used to be the most Venezuelan place in the country. It still screams suburb.

Not they this is unique to Miami as Houston shares the endless suburbia trait with Miami, but from feelings (which id what this post is about), I run into more business districts that set it apart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 11:32 AM

133 posts, read 96,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This isn’t about playing favorites. Both of these places are among my favorites in the country. As I mentioned above, outside of the coastal areas, non city limit Miami is a linear endless suburbia of subdivisions, strip malls and palm trees. All of the inland places you named feel and are nothing but suburban. Why did you even mention Doral? Great place and all. Used to be the most Venezuelan place in the country. It still screams suburb.

Not they this is unique to Miami as Houston shares the endless suburbia trait with Miami, but from feelings (which id what this post is about), I run into more business districts that set it apart

The only inland cities I named were.

Coral Gables
Weston
Wellington
Hialeah
Doral
Kendall
Wilton Manors

Easy to say South Florida is endless suburbia inland when it's got over 100 miles of dense cities lining the coast.

The whole entire point of South Florida is to build the density as close to the coastline as possible. It's just common sense. Of course it's going to get more and more suburban as you keep going inland. Best of both worlds kind of thing.

Miami
Miami Beach
Fort Lauderdale
Hollywood
Pompano Beach
Palm Beach
West Palm Beach
Lake Worth
Boca Raton
Deerfield Beach
Key Biscayne
Boynton Beach
Aventura
Bal Harbour
Surfside
Palm Beach Gardens
Hallandale Beach
Boynton Beach
Delray Beach
Jupiter
Sunny Isles Beach

Last edited by Harbits; 04-16-2022 at 11:46 AM..

Old 04-16-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
The only inland cities I named were.

Coral Gables
Weston
Wellington
Hialeah
Doral
Kendall
Wilton Manors

Easy to say South Florida is endless suburbia inland when it's got over 100 miles of dense cities lining the coast.

Miami
Miami Beach
Fort Lauderdale
Hollywood
Pompano Beach
Palm Beach
West Palm Beach
Lake Worth
Boca Raton
Deerfield Beach
Key Biscayne
Boynton Beach
Aventura
Bal Harbour
Surfside
Palm Beach Gardens
Hallandale Beach
Boynton Beach
Delray Beach
Jupiter
Sunny Isles Beach
Jupiter? Surfside? Let me get this straight… all a place needs to do to be urban is have a couple of seaside high rises?

Old 04-16-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Jupiter? Surfside? Let me get this straight… all a place needs to do to be urban is have a couple of seaside high rises?

My list of cities were ones in South Florida that all have their very own "downtown area." And I left off a bunch of cities too. If you need some pictures just name the cities from my list and I'll whip that right up for you.

Last edited by Harbits; 04-16-2022 at 12:14 PM..

Old 04-16-2022, 12:21 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,831,282 times
Lmao. The arterial roads are ridiculously wide in Houston. If anything the major complaint is that they are too wide and hurt the urban/ Humanscale firm.

Insignificant? These roads carry as much traffic as highways in other cities. That's something else that damages the human scale of these roads.

I do find it humorous that you say they are small and Insignificant, lol

Old 04-16-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
My list of cities were ones in South Florida that all have their very own "downtown area." And I left off a bunch of cities too. If you need some pictures just name the cities from my list and I'll whip that right up for you.
Any decent town in the country will have designated town center. Jupiter having a couple of seaside mid rise properties doesn’t make it urban. It’s extremely suburban as are most of the cities you mentioned

Old 04-16-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Lmao. The arterial roads are ridiculously wide in Houston. If anything the major complaint is that they are too wide and hurt the urban/ Humanscale firm.

Insignificant? These roads carry as much traffic as highways in other cities. That's something else that damages the human scale of these roads.

I do find it humorous that you say they are small and Insignificant, lol

I just clicked on about 50 roads at their most dense spot that look to be the biggest around the Houston metro and aren't yellow and I promise you they don't compare at all to the ones found everywhere around South Florida. I urge anyone reading this to do the same on Street View. It takes 5 minutes and you will see how much of a different world South Florida is compared to Houston.

Old 04-16-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Any decent town in the country will have designated town center. Jupiter having a couple of seaside mid rise properties doesn’t make it urban. It’s extremely suburban as are most of the cities you mentioned

Like I said name the cities from my list that you think are "extremely suburban" (or even just suburban) and I'll post pics of their most urban area.

Miami
Miami Beach
Fort Lauderdale
Hollywood
Coral Gables
Pompano Beach
Palm Beach
West Palm Beach
Lake Worth
Weston
Boca Raton
Deerfield Beach
Key Biscayne
Boynton Beach
Aventura
Wellington
Hialeah
Bal Harbour
Doral
Surfside
Palm Beach Gardens
Wilton Manors
Hallandale Beach
Boynton Beach
Kendall
Delray Beach
Jupiter
Sunny Isles Beach

Old 04-14-2024, 11:59 PM

4,447 posts, read 5,175,761 times
Have now experienced Houston, lived in Miami.

From the freeway, within a 10 mile radius from the core; Houston.

Same radius on city streets, Miami wins handily.

Outside this radius, the metros are kind of to different to compare, but if I had to, I would go with Miami, because despite Houston’s outer business districts, they can’t compare to Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach as proper cbds in their own right.

Old 04-15-2024, 04:39 AM

345 posts, read 458,034 times
Houston has multiple CBDs also, including Uptown/Galleria, Med Center, Memorial, and a few smaller ones. Uptown alone is larger than many major cities, with 28 million sq ft of commercial space available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City