Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 01:20 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times

Advertisements

I like visiting pretty much anywhere, I'll never turn down a trip. But ranking major cities I haven't been to, from highest to lowest priorities:

LA (I've planned to visit multiple times, it's always gotten cancelled for some reason or another)
Atlanta
Detroit
Miami
DFW
Austin
San Diego
Tulsa
Omaha
Research Triangle
Jacksonville
Kansas City (both)
Des Moines
Charlotte
SLC
Toledo OH
Rochester NY
Grand Rapids
Colorado Springs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 02:35 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
A few of cities I most want to visit in US, that I hadn't done a proper stop to explore (* means I briefly stopped here, but not for long enough to explore it more):

LA(this also remains the biggest US city and metro, I've never visited)

San Diego (bet this'd be like a much more laid back and less hectic version of LA? and being by Mexico land border would be nice, whenever that opens again)

*Richmond, VA (everything I've read about here, makes me want to visit. and the times I've seen it mentioned on the skyline battle thread, makes me want to go here more. I had driven through here once, but never stopped)

Boston(at least with the history, museums, local food places, I'd like to visit here once. and to see for myself if it's as good as others say, or overhyped)

Miami (another city I've read a lot about, but hadn't ever been there before. I would bet at least it'd have good Cuban food, and more. I do wonder if this city is as good as others say, or overhyped?)

Buffalo(at least with what I've read about here, I wouldn't mind visiting once. and street viewing some of its neighborhoods and parks, gives me hope it'd be a nice city)

Kansas City (both from street viewing it and researching it, gives me hope it'd be nice to visit)

*Fargo, ND(from what I've street viewed and researched, seems like it ma be worth at least a brief stop to visit someday. dunno when I'll ever finally do a proper visit to Fargo, though. I slept through Fargo btw on Amtrak Empire Builder, as that train passes through in middle of the night)

Seattle

Portland

On my maybe list(but may need a little more convincing I should visit these places)

Honolulu

Baltimore

Old 06-02-2021, 02:59 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,284,327 times
Want to visit, in order:
Portland, OR
San Diego
Chicago
Honolulu
Greenville, SC
Raleigh

Don’t want to visit:
Houston
Buffalo
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Columbus
Oklahoma City
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Salt Lake City
Boise
New Orleans

Old 06-02-2021, 03:43 PM

542 posts, read 1,107,109 times
That I have yet to visit.
San Diego
Philly- I've only been in the airport.
Toronto/Buffalo
Portland ME.
KC
I used to want to see LA/SF, but I don't know anymore.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:47 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times
It's fun to do a trip flying into one city and out of another and stopping and staying at small towns along the way. Big cities are where direct flights land, but getting out of the one metro gives a more wholistic picture into what a state or a part of the country is like.

Two I did like this were Branson MO to Little Rock, staying on the Buffalo River in between (amazing kayaking and waterfalls) and Medford to Eugene OR stopping in Florence on the ocean, best scenery and agriculture in Oregon

I could pass on NYC and Miami and do Long Island instead. Don't get the highrises or glam but you still get east coast, bagels, pizza, beach, and probably the same people. Atlanta flies direct to Long Island MacArthur!

Pass on San Diego, San Fransisco, and Portland, would do Seattle + Forks WA. Might as well see the most rainforesty part of the west coast.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:35 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
It's fun to do a trip flying into one city and out of another and stopping and staying at small towns along the way. Big cities are where direct flights land, but getting out of the one metro gives a more wholistic picture into what a state or a part of the country is like.

Two I did like this were Branson MO to Little Rock, staying on the Buffalo River in between (amazing kayaking and waterfalls) and Medford to Eugene OR stopping in Florence on the ocean, best scenery and agriculture in Oregon
I am doing this right now! I had some extra vacation days I wasn't using, so my partner and I are taking a week to explore my home state of Illinois, which I never really got to do when I was living at home. We flew into St. Louis and have hit up (so far) Casey, Terre Haute IN, Urbana-Champaign, Decatur, Springfield, Peoria, Galesburg, heading to the Quad Cities now, and we're flying out of Chicago on Sunday. We've seen so many interesting things along the way and it's all the more rewarding because of the off-the-beaten-path feeling.

BTW Portland is likely worth visiting sometime even if you're not into indie music or hipster bars. It has the best food truck scene by far of any city I've been to, and there are several cool natural sites even in the city limits (Mt. Tabor, Rocky Butte, etc.)

Old 06-02-2021, 09:57 PM

153 posts, read 110,395 times
Want to visit:

Seattle
Portland
Chicago
Minneapolis
Boston
Charleston
Philadelphia

Old 06-02-2021, 10:17 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

I could pass on NYC and Miami and do Long Island instead. Don't get the highrises or glam but you still get east coast, bagels, pizza, beach, and probably the same people. Atlanta flies direct to Long Island MacArthur!

Pass on San Diego, San Fransisco, and Portland, would do Seattle + Forks WA. Might as well see the most rainforesty part of the west coast.
What do you really like about Long Island? Any good things in the past you visited there(i.e. museums), that you liked? Maybe the eastern tips of LI(i.e. Montauk, and also that northeast tip of Suffolk County) might be worth visiting for all I may guess, and ditto with some of its southern beaches?

Long Island was one of those places(never mind I forgot to mention it in my above post, but I'll probably do a part 2 post for all the additional places I forgot to say when doing that post) I was up in the air, about whether its worth visiting. Maybe if I heard some things about what's good to do in LI, I'd consider a side trip there when returning to NYC someday.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:34 AM

276 posts, read 168,500 times
The big ones I want to knock off my list:

- LA (happening this summer)
- Seattle or Portland
- Houston
- Tampa
- Boston
- Toronto
- New Orleans
- Cleveland
- Kansas City (been to the airport but never the city proper)

Old 06-03-2021, 07:38 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
What do you really like about Long Island? Any good things in the past you visited there(i.e. museums), that you liked? Maybe the eastern tips of LI(i.e. Montauk, and also that northeast tip of Suffolk County) might be worth visiting for all I may guess, and ditto with some of its southern beaches?

Long Island was one of those places(never mind I forgot to mention it in my above post, but I'll probably do a part 2 post for all the additional places I forgot to say when doing that post) I was up in the air, about whether its worth visiting. Maybe if I heard some things about what's good to do in LI, I'd consider a side trip there when returning to NYC someday.
I haven't been there yet. I really haven't even explored the US east of the Mississippi much outside of the ATL area. The ocean is fun, but I wouldn't want that to be the main focus of a trip, just one of the activities.

Being on an island seems novel for a Colorado native . On Long Island, if you go east and you get scenery and islands to explore and a new england vibe, go west and you have queens and Brooklyn. Come back to the middle and you have a hassle free small airport to fly out of! Seems like a good way to get introduced to the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City