Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2023, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,696 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Hubby and I are thinking of retiring to SC, he’s retired military and would like to know the best city to move to? I’ve been doing some research and I’m thinking Greenville has more to offer. I love the beaches but I don’t think I want to be that close to them because of the hurricanes plus we don’t mind hoping in the car or the motorcycle taking a ride. We currently live in Albuquerque but before that we were in SA, TX and Corpus was just a couple of hours away. So can you give me some feed back on Greenville and maybe some good areas to buy a house or some up and coming subdivisions where we can possibly build? Thank you and appreciate your time. We are looking to move late February early March
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 12:19 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
You’ll get more feedback if you post in the Greenville specific sub-forum or the general South Carolina forum for a wider range of suggestions. You have this in the Charleston forum.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:54 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
I'm somewhat familiar with Albuquerque. I think you'll really need to visit any (or possibly all) of the main SC cities to get a feel for them. One thing you will immediately loose is the wide open view of a mountain range or vista and the well laid out road grid. Our city/suburban traffic will feel like gridlock as you will not have all the interconnecting surface roads.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:51 AM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Columbia and its metro’s roads pattern is like a grid superimposed on a spider web. Six of one, half dozen of the other to get anywhere, with a choice of several routes, not just two, all equally convenient. The city was planned that way.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:38 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Columbia and its metro’s roads pattern is like a grid superimposed on a spider web. Six of one, half dozen of the other to get anywhere, with a choice of several routes, not just two, all equally convenient. The city was planned that way.
The extent of the grid is not comparable. Except for High Desert and areas near the university/airport, Albuquerque is set on a giant grid that was actually followed/extended. And the whole area (except Rio Rancho across the River) in continuous as opposed to towns that grew into one another. As a SC native, it is shocking how quickly you can travel from one end to the other with so many possible routes.

Old 08-10-2023, 01:24 PM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
The extent of the grid is not comparable. Except for High Desert and areas near the university/airport, Albuquerque is set on a giant grid that was actually followed/extended. And the whole area (except Rio Rancho across the River) in continuous as opposed to towns that grew into one another. As a SC native, it is shocking how quickly you can travel from one end to the other with so many possible routes.
But OP apparently is retiring to SC, or at least titled this thread by that topic, and Columbia’s roads system in my view is the closest thing in SC.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Greenville appears to be a great community and if you have a motorcycle -- closer to great rides in the mountains....or as you say a quick ride to the coast.

Charleston/Mt. Pleasant/Summerville area is great. We chose it and I wouldn't be happy in Greenville (I want the ocean) but I've heard so many great things about Greenville.

Old 09-13-2023, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,161 times
Greenville would probably be better if you enjoy your motorcycle. Or Summerville or Goose creek, if you would like to be fairly close to Charleston. Mt. Pleasant would not be good because motorcycles are not allowed in many neighborhoods.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:05 PM

129 posts, read 169,945 times
Definitely need more details about you. What's important to you besides being close to the beach? What kind of neighborhoods do you prefer? I've been through my fair share of large hurricanes. Summerville fairs pretty well and it's not a terrible ride on a bike. Depending on traffic you can spend anywhere between 45 min and an hour (sometimes more) to get to the beach. During the season you can generously add to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area