Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 08:46 PM

36 posts, read 28,308 times

Advertisements

A major problem is the piecemeal approach to growth challenges. There is no regional cohesion or consensus. Mt.P is hellbent on blocking any denser or multifamily development. City of Charleston and Charleston County just squabble and piecemeal everything. Berkeley and Dorchester don’t like being condescended to by Charleston. And nothing ever improves….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 09:15 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasviewer View Post
A major problem is the piecemeal approach to growth challenges. There is no regional cohesion or consensus. Mt.P is hellbent on blocking any denser or multifamily development. City of Charleston and Charleston County just squabble and piecemeal everything. Berkeley and Dorchester don’t like being condescended to by Charleston. And nothing ever improves….
Mt. P doesn't surprise me that much, they didn't get a second high school finished till 2020 and that's for a district with a population a bit north of 100k.

Old 04-06-2023, 08:15 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Low-density development hasn’t worked for Charleston or anywhere else.

Many people don't want high density, especially with children. They want space and the ability for their kids to run outside and play in a relatively safe environment. That's why people move from dense inner city to outlying suburbs.

Mt.P wants to continue to offer the lower density housing their citizens want. This means property values will continue to climb as land becomes scarce and the suburb lifestyle is a sought after commodity.

Old 04-06-2023, 08:30 AM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Many people don't want high density, especially with children. They want space and the ability for their kids to run outside and play in a relatively safe environment. That's why people move from dense inner city to outlying suburbs.

Mt.P wants to continue to offer the lower density housing their citizens want. This means property values will continue to climb as land becomes scarce and the suburb lifestyle is a sought after commodity.
Oh well. Deal with traffic quagmires then. They only think they don’t want higher density because there aren’t enough alternatives that are affordable because lower density means fewer homes over any given area of the city and metro, and fewer houses means higher costs per square foot. Supply and demand. Walking versus driving everywhere for everything. Better designed communities within the metro can help solve the problem. And dumb on Mount Pleasant’s part. I’ve read all about it.

Old 04-06-2023, 09:47 AM

Future generations will ask what the hell the developers and people of our time were thinking. It’s an American F-up, not just the Charleston region.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:55 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
It's not a matter of wanting density due to cost. They don't want density because they want space. They simply don't want to live stacked on top of each other. You can have lower density with better planning by good public transportation options and placing commercial spaces in nodes closer to population areas. Don't make your people drive across town for goods and services.

I know you like density and what that lifestyle entails. But not everyone is like you. There are very large parts of the population that looks for something else. It's been a long history of a movement to the suburbs of large cities for families then empty nesters possibly moving back after the needs that drove them there leave the house.

Migration of these populations to SC have swelled areas like MtP and not downtown because they're looking for the suburbs. That's where the demand is.

Old 04-06-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
It's not a matter of wanting density due to cost. They don't want density because they want space. They simply don't want to live stacked on top of each other. You can have lower density with better planning by good public transportation options and placing commercial spaces in nodes closer to population areas. Don't make your people drive across town for goods and services.

I know you like density and what that lifestyle entails. But not everyone is like you. There are very large parts of the population that looks for something else. It's been a long history of a movement to the suburbs of large cities for families then empty nesters possibly moving back after the needs that drove them there leave the house. And most newcomers are looking for housing they can afford, and it’s not downtown or close.

Migration of these populations to SC have swelled areas like MtP and not downtown because they're looking for the suburbs. That's where the demand is.
Don’t know how many times I can express that we don’t really know what “they” want, as in everyone with children, because “they” don’t have viable alternatives in the form of well-built housing that “they” could purchase in denser settings with public parks nearby and retail within easy walking distance. Developers buying cheap land and creating suburban sprawl out of marsh and wilderness have led to the challenges we face today in making room for a growing population.

Old 04-07-2023, 04:40 AM

310 posts, read 258,388 times
Quote:

I know you like density and what that lifestyle entails. But not everyone is like you. There are very large parts of the population that looks for something else. It's been a long history of a movement to the suburbs of large cities for families then empty nesters possibly moving back after the needs that drove them there leave the house.

Ok boomer.

I'll just point out that younger folks can no longer afford both a car and a house on a single salary. Some are opting to forego a car and instead rely on public transportation. Some are opting for jobs where they can work remotely. This includes young people with families. As a consequence of this, more people now want to live in bikeable/walkable areas with easy access to shopping dining, and entertainment. This was less true 20 years ago.

The Charleston area has an estimated deficit of something like 10,000 residential units. If we build all of those units as neighborhoods with single-family homes, we're going to need space. The only space available is further and further away from Charleston's urban core. We're going to end up with more traffic.

I'm not saying we should stop building single-family homes. I am saying we should focus on mixed-use density as a partial solution to traffic and transportation.

Old 04-07-2023, 06:51 AM

I’m 64 and counting, and I figured this out decades ago. For those who want more space, there are small towns and the countryside - well, what’s left of the countryside. And ‘lord knows’ most of the small towns could use more people and investment at this point, since suburban-style development has sucked out their populations and commerce.

Old 04-07-2023, 07:50 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I’m 64 and counting, and I figured this out decades ago. For those who want more space, there are small towns and the countryside - well, what’s left of the countryside. And ‘lord knows’ most of the small towns could use more people and investment at this point, since suburban-style development has sucked out their populations and commerce.
What you’re saying is that suburbs shouldn’t exist. That everything should either be 100% urban or 100% rural. I don’t know which black-and-white world you think you’re living in, but this ain’t it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area