Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 AM

698 posts, read 3,267,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
We also wanted our older Tortie to die at home naturally but when it came time we couldn't bare the sight of her gasping for air and lying in her bed limp as a rag doll.

We rushed her to an all-night clinic and they euthanized her in a very gentle and loving manner. I was able to hold her until the end, and console her.

You did the right thing. I'm so sorry to hear about Siggy.
I know how you both feel. We just went through the same thing with our precious furbaby a few months ago. She was eighteen years old and had terminal cancer. We wanted her to die naturally as well,but when she quit eating and couldn't walk but a few steps without collapsing,we had to call the vet we had lined up if needed to come to the house and help her cross over to the "Rainbow Bridge." It was a VERY hard thing to do and the first time ever experiencing that,but we had to do what was best for her. Just take comfort in knowing you cared for your kitties and loved them like no one else could. Cherish your memories and talk about the good times with someone who loved her too or a fellow animal lover. It will help. I'm glad you were brave to lead her to the Bridge and let her depart with the dignity,kindness and love she so highly deserved. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 03:37 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Thank you both. Doing the right thing is very difficult at times. I've had to have a kitty euthanized several times before, and it never gets any easier. But it would have been unconscionable not to do it and let a beloved animal suffer.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
I was visiting family when their deathly sick cat died. He came over to me, sat at my feet and purred for about 15 minutes. Then got up and walked away. I knew he was ill and that it wasn't long. Before I went to bed, I tried to find him... no luck. About 15 minutes later, the cats in their house started yowling like crazy. That woke up the owners... who found the cat dead hidden behind some furniture.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,382 times
HELP HELP HELP!
Our familie's beloved pet cat was attacked by an animal last night! the cuts seemed to just be surface cuts, though she did feel pain while she walked. This morning, she accompanied us down to the chicken coop and back as usual. we called the vet and scheduled n apointment afterwards. About 2 hrs later we tried to find her to take her to the vet, and we couldn't find her. its been like 3 hrs and we still haven't found her! HELP HELP HELP!
p.s. She is a outdoor cat

Old 06-19-2010, 03:00 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katluvr View Post
HELP HELP HELP!
Our familie's beloved pet cat was attacked by an animal last night! the cuts seemed to just be surface cuts, though she did feel pain while she walked. This morning, she accompanied us down to the chicken coop and back as usual. we called the vet and scheduled n apointment afterwards. About 2 hrs later we tried to find her to take her to the vet, and we couldn't find her. its been like 3 hrs and we still haven't found her! HELP HELP HELP!
p.s. She is a outdoor cat
She may just be hiding out to lick her wounds and heal. Try calling her to eat or something like that. Whenever I can't find my cat I get the can opener out and act like it's treat time. Whatever she likes she may come out for it. Then take her to the vets to see if she was hurt inside or where you can's see.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:44 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I really think that is what my Chloe kitty was doing a while back when she seemed so ill. She stayed in the dark closet laid out and moaning every once in a while. It was pitiful and i am so glad I got her to the vet. I do feel like she would have finally come around but it was terrible at the time...

Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,170 times
I will never get over ther loss of my beloved Porkbelly. She was 15 when I had to have her euthenized. She became ill and deteoriated I thought she was just simply sick. I was planning on taking off a few days to care for her. When I got her to the vet he explained she had cancer tumors. I felt terrible, started to cry he explained my girl was in pain and would probably convulse and have a tough death. I decided to euthenize her then. My mom had died several years earlier, I now was loosing my dear little baby gir after 15 yearsl. As I prepared for this, I petted her and as the vet injected her I looked her in the eyes and talked gently to her, as she passed. I wanted her to see me last. I took her home crying most of the way. I put her on the table in the box and bag she was in. When I finally had the emotional strength to burn her in a fire, I put a letter to God, about her, asking he take care of her until I got there and please have her stay with my mom and my first cat Suchi Mein (13 yrs). Added in my rosary beads over her said a prayer for her and thanked God for her in my life. She was one tough cat and through the most difficult parts of my life that cat stayed with me. I miss her so.

Last edited by bobby8202; 02-25-2011 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: correct grammar

Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I know what that's like. It is very hard to look them in the eye and try to be comforting as they are passing, but abandoning them in their last moments is unconscionable.

What a depressing thread. It's just a bad trip down memory lane. I have a very sweet 16-year-old indoor cat whose brother I had to have euthanized on 1/21/2010 (I remember that date). I'm not looking forward to what must come.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Hi All, Some really heart breaking stories here. May I suggest that when Spring arrives, you plant a living tree or my favorite a lilac bush, in memory of your loved one? One cat I knew died in its favorite chair suddenly from a heart attack. Another, disappeared also but had kidney problems. I read that when their time comes, they feel something changing inside of them and they leave, if they can, trying to escape what they don't understand. Charish the time you had together and not the end of the dance. I have three at this time and know there is lots of pain at the end of our journey together but that is the way of nature, not what I want.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
It depends, but they do stop eating, sometimes, it is best when you know the end is coming, to let the vet help them along. Feral cats, when they are sick, will let you help them out to be treated, but then, when they are healthy, they go back to being feral again.

It is difficult to have a pet die, especially a cat that you have had for many years. Some people just don't understand what you are going through. I still remember my Mickey...even though he has been gone for over 10 years. I actually did some grief therapy work, and it helped me. I made a collage of different things he liked, I talked about him, and wrote about things he liked to do. Get a book on grief therapy, and do some of the exercises. They helped me.

Don't try to deny your grief, or think it is stupid to grieve over a cat. I seriously went into a depression when he was gone. He was with me for over 20 of the most difficult years of my life. He was the most consistent thing in my life during that time frame. From 15 to 35 years old, those are tough years for anyone. Maybe he was an extra special cat, because I have had cats since then, but none are the same as him.

Last edited by jasper12; 02-26-2011 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: edit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats