Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,059 times

Advertisements

Make sure to check your cat for yellow skin, it is a sign of jaundice. One of our cats stopped eating after a vomiting phase and was diagnosed with hepatic lipidosis. In cats with hepatic lipidosis [ fatty liver ] the liver starts to store fat to keep the body alive, but it causes the liver to fail and the cats system to shut down. Our cat is a calico with mostly orange markings, so the yellowing of the skin was easy to miss. I started force feeding her an AD cat food mixed with kitten food that is very moist and to make it smoother, I push it through a sieve and add a little more water. I get her to eat about a third of a cup, twice a day. Dehydration is a bigger issue for cats then starvation. She has gained almost two pounds in six weeks and the jaundice is gone. The vet said that force feeding the cat jump starts the system. Both online and the vet said it could take six to eight weeks to get the cat back to eating. It is very much like anorexia in humans. After so long of depriving the body of food, no matter how hungry the individual, it is hard to get into an eating regiment that puts on weight. It seems like with our cat, when I force feed her, she gets hungry and eats some dry cat food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 46,815 times
Unhappy i am soo outraged

i have a 6 year old cat who was fine.... then last week she went into heat, she started getting listless about 4 days ago, and then seemed fine the next day. last night she vomited some bile, i attempted to feed her, even offered her some fresh turkey which she normally loves and nothing..changed her water bowl all that& still nothing. she has taken to hiding under my bed since last night and refuses to come out, while i know this is serious i have called all [and i mean all] local vets, even financial help organizations as i am recently unemployed and i can not afford to take her to the vet... and lovely for me none of them bill.
i was on the phone pleasing and crying with several vets and organizations but no positive outcome, am i supposed to just sit here and watch my cat wither away??
i am beside myself i donot know what could have happened to my little girl.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:38 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
My female cat, age 4 had a vomiting spell on Monday-Tuesday that has tapered off. She vomited about once every two hours for 15 hours. We don't know what caused it. Today she only vomited once. But she will not eat or drink. I have been forcing water into her with a medicine dropper. Otherwise, she seems fine. She has not eaten or drunk normally since Monday afternoon.

This exact same thing happened with our cat who recently passed away 5 weeks ago. He had a vomiting episode just like this, vomiting up white foam and then yellow bile for 2 days. We took him to the vet, got full bloodwork done, got an abdominal ultrasound done, and nothing was wrong. They sent us home with anti-nausea meds and some sub-q fluids. He started losing a lot of weight, refused to eat or drink, and died two weeks later. We bought all sorts of different kinds of wet foods; he refused them all, including his previous favorites. He ended up dying of a lung infection--we don't understand how he got it.

Why do cats do this--i.e. refuse to eat? I'm worried about this cat. I can force feed her with the medicine dropper, but she refuses her favorite foods and treats. I can't believe we're having this same problem again. We're going to take her to the vet, but in all liklihood, it will be the same story as with the other cat: lots of expensive tests, and nothing found to be wrong.
Before I knew anything about natural medicine I had a cat with vomiting episodes as well. He was so sick I brought him in to the hospital to be monitored. They couldn't figure out what was wrong other than he had really high white blood cells which was normal because they were just trying to fight off the infection. When they started talking about exploratory surgery to find out what was wrong, I drew the line.

I later discovered the book THE NEW NATURAL CAT by Anitra Frazier and in it suggestions of how to use natural remedies for illnesses as well as how to improve overall health with diet upgrades.

Slippery Elm is wonderful for calming and normalizing the digestive tract. If I had known about Slippery Elm back then, that's what I would have given my cat but every digestive problem he'd had after that I did use Slippery Elm and it always fixed the problem and saved a stressful visit to the vet (and saved me me a lot of money).

Slippery Elm

Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 74,025 times
my female cat 1 1/2 yrs old has laid around for 2 days. no eating and vomiting white foam. Could something be stopping up her intestines?

Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,564 times
You MUST get her to a vet right away, this is a life threatening emergency!

If a cat doesn't eat for 24-48 hours, they can develop a condition called fatty liver infiltration, or something like that. Basically their liver fails.

Take kitty right now, find an after hours ER clinic if one is near you!

Good luck!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,428 times
For the OP--with two cats presenting the same and no tests positive is it possible your cat has FIP? Google it and see what you think. There is only a clinical diagnosis with FIP--no specific test as far as I understand. Do you have a vet school in the area? They might be able to help.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 67,428 times
..... Autumnsgoddess....Did you find out what is wrong with your kitty? This am...my 6yr old that just came out of heat is having the same symptoms....? She is vomiting white foam, wont eat or drink, wont hardly even look at us... does anyone have any thoughts...

Thanks....Michelle

Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,189 times
My friends, I hate to part with money, but if you cat is not eating, drinking and vomiting, take them to the vet immediately. I spend more time at the vets office than doctors office for myself, but they cant speak to us, tell us whats wrong or ask for help...that is why we have to watch their behavior and if something is out of the norm, take them to the vet. If you had a child who was vomiting white foam, wouldnt eat or drink and would hardly look at you, how long would you wait before you took them to the doctor or emerg. room? I'm not trying to be rude, but these posts about sick animals and what should be done is making me want to cry...call a vet, get them in there immediately..please.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,919 times
Are you using advantage? I had a similar vomiting of white foam problem with my St Bernard after applying her usual dosage. This dog was 11 years old and very old for a Saint and had never vomited in her entire life. Two days later she stopped eating and on the 3rd day, I had to have her put down because she was also suffering from paralysis in her hind quarters which was unrelated.
Now, I no longer use advantage on my older pets.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 74,025 times
The cat vomitimg white foam, I took her to vet and she gave her an antibiotic. Cat has been fine since. Sometimes cats get sick like we do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats