Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 05:39 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,432 times

Advertisements

My beloved 16.5 year old cat's head has started to sometimes twitch and gently shake. She does not seem to be in any pain, that I know of, but I first noticed the shaking a few weeks ago and Im starting to think it might be getting worse with time. She is still eating and drinking as normal and still following me around the house. I was planning on waiting to take her to the vet until after Christmas (for my own selfish reasons because I am afraid it is just going to be bad news), but maybe I should take her in now. I really love this cat; I have only had her for one year but she is my baby. What could it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Please take your cat to the vet. The sooner a problem is caught, the better the chances of either curing or managing it. Please don't make her wait any longer, she needs medical attention now. I hope everything will be okay, but it's not fair to her to put it off.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:58 PM

Ok, I will take her in tomorrow. I knew when I got her that I might not be able to have her for very long, but boy, this is harder than I thought it would be. I am hopefully over reacting and everything will be fine, but I am very worried.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
It's a good sign she's not in pain and eating, drinking and acting normal. Take her to the vet ASAP. Let us know what the vet says.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Just a data point: It might be nothing. My older cat had some kind of odd twitch now and then that I noticed, and it didn't seem to be anything different than what was already going on (hyperthyroid that we knew of). The movements were present for the last couple years of her life until she died at 17.

Still it's important to take your very senior cat to the vet regularly, and when you notice something like this it's definitely prudent to have it checked out. Evens if something significant is actually wrong, many of the common conditions have a good prognosis.

So as noted you should go to the vet. But there's a good chance she will be okay for some time to come.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:42 AM

12,192 posts, read 2,960,983 times
I thnk you might be causing fear to your cat for a minor change due to aging. Please don't put an elderly cat through surgery or other dangerous or painful procedures. These days too many vets are in it for the cash and don't care as much about the pets! If she's not inpain, just love her.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,921,461 times
Maybe this is too late, but if you can take a short video of your cat while she's twitching to show the vet, that would be a great help. Since she doesn't always do this, she may not show it at the vets.

Also, please try not to worry too much. It is good you are bringing her in, of course, but it may turn out to be nothing.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone; really appreciate it.
Also, good idea about taking a video to the vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats