Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 12:51 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Another important ingredient in cat food is taurine. It's an amino acid that is critical for the heart and eyes, and it helps with digestion. It's put into both dry and wet. When it's in dry food it sometimes doesn't stay in the cat's system long enough to be absorbed and goes out the other end with all the rest of the indigestibles. That's another reason that wet food is better.

I also have an elderly cat who's lost a bit of weight and muscle mass simply due to age (on the same idea of what happens to humans). I feed him small amounts many times per day (about 1/2 can Fancy Feast per meal, maybe as many as 6 times a day). He just doesn't have the appetite like he used to have at a meal when he could devour a whole can.
My old man Stormy is the same way. Doesn't eat much at one time, but multiple times a day. He used to eat most of a can of Fancy Feast a couple of times a day, but now eats about 1/3 of a can 4 or 5 times a day. He's a few months shy of 18, and I'm just thankful he's still here and eating at all. So he gets whatever he wants when he wants it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 07:13 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
If not said (I can't read this long a thread, lol) then adding canned Organic Pumpkin adds carbs, & lbs, if given a few times/day in their food. Just FYI, if not already mentioned.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:54 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
If not said (I can't read this long a thread, lol) then adding canned Organic Pumpkin adds carbs, & lbs, if given a few times/day in their food. Just FYI, if not already mentioned.
Cats are obligate carnivores. They do not need a lot of carbs. Cats should be fed a MEAT based diet! Not fruits and veggies.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,049 times
just had my 10 y/o male tabby to the vet this morning. he had lost nearly half his body weight in two years. seeing him everyday, I hadn't noticed that much, but after some friends came by and commented on his weight, decided to have him checked out. did a blood test and he has liver problems. treating him with pills now for a month to see if he can gain back some of his weight.
have a blood test done, it can tell you problems you maybe didn't think about. my Skyland showed no signs of illness except for the weight loss.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:30 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmo View Post
just had my 10 y/o male tabby to the vet this morning. he had lost nearly half his body weight in two years. seeing him everyday, I hadn't noticed that much, but after some friends came by and commented on his weight, decided to have him checked out. did a blood test and he has liver problems. treating him with pills now for a month to see if he can gain back some of his weight.
have a blood test done, it can tell you problems you maybe didn't think about. my Skyland showed no signs of illness except for the weight loss.
My 17-year-old has also lost a lot of weight over the past couple of years. Tests and bloodwork always come back fine, and the two vets (yes, got another opinion) chalk it up to a metabolism change that comes with age (even in humans) which can affect muscle bulk (as in humans).

Silver used to be a voracious eater, so he was fed twice a day. Although his daily consumption is still the same, I have to feed him smaller amounts more times a day. The regime is working since he's maintaining his weight. But OMG he looks so skinny compared to his earlier chubba-chubba days of being a big muscle-y brute.

Perhaps along with the meds you could feed more often in smaller amounts?

Old 02-06-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
My 17-year-old has also lost a lot of weight over the past couple of years. Tests and bloodwork always come back fine, and the two vets (yes, got another opinion) chalk it up to a metabolism change that comes with age (even in humans) which can affect muscle bulk (as in humans).

Silver used to be a voracious eater, so he was fed twice a day. Although his daily consumption is still the same, I have to feed him smaller amounts more times a day. The regime is working since he's maintaining his weight. But OMG he looks so skinny compared to his earlier chubba-chubba days of being a big muscle-y brute.

Perhaps along with the meds you could feed more often in smaller amounts?
It was exactly the same with my recently departed 17 yr old Stormy. The last couple of years he was eating smaller portions 4 or 5 times a day. He still lost weight/body mass, but it was very slow and gradual.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Our male neutered Russian Blue is 14 or 15 yrs old and has been losing weight for past year or so--
weighted in Oct and weighed today at the vet and there was 4oz loss which is about an ounce a month
When he was weighed in Oct he has lost about 1/2 lb from about 4-5 mo before that--
He is about 11 lbs 3oz now

We are giving him injections every 2 weeks now for arthritis--but we can increase those shots to every week if it would help the situation--

the vet says his teeth are in good shape considering they have never been cleaned--no obvious broken/cavities

he is indoor cat but has outside priviledges and the other day I caught him eating the last part of something he caught--bird or mouse--couldn't tell bcuz was just flesh--so he can get around fairly agilely even now

he eats canned food and dry--will give him half a small can at a time and feed him fresh 2-3-4 times a day if he seems hungry--
will also offer him cooked chicken we give our dog but he doesn't really seem to like that--what he does like is canned tuna (the kind we eat)...

I took him to vet today to trim his nails and the girl weighed him and found another weight loss--
I asked her to have vet check his chart for past 2 years to see the pattern--

I am thinking it is just likely being a senior cat--but I also worry that he might be something serious. He had bloodwork done when he got his vaccs this past fall and everything was within normal limits--

There are times when he will just yowl in most plaintive way --usually when he is in part of the house by himself, not when he is in living room with us--but if I go check on him and offer him treats he seems fine...
so can't be sure if it is really "trauma" or just manipulation...and read on the Cornell U site that sometimes senior cats have "senior moments"--so it could be that too...

we have had two cats live to be 12+ and develop kidney disease but he is going to the litter box and drinking water in normal amounts (to me)--he shares a bowl with the dog so hard to tell how much each separately drinks...

any suggestions--
I am expecting the vet to call me back tomorrow and I am willing to take him in for urine test and bloodwork if it seems necessary...

Old 02-11-2015, 12:35 PM

My old mancat Stormy was almost 18 when he ran for the Bridge this past Jan 12, and the last 3 years of his life he was very much as you describe your cat being... gradual weight loss, eating less but more frequently, very clingy wanting lots of attention, 'senior moments', etc. He was on meds for a while for declining kidney function during his final year, and he turned around for a while. His last blood test showed improved kidney function, but high pancreas numbers & white cell count. Shortly after that he stopped eating & wouldn't drink water unless 'primed' with an eyedropper. He was pretty much normal and ok until the last 3 weeks or so, then failed rapidly. Not saying this is what's going on with your cat, but the best advice I can give is to do regular blood panels so you will know what's going on and if there is anything you can do to treat it or make him more comfortable. Stormy had a total of 4 senior blood panels run in 2014 alone, and it was a bit of an expense. But it was necessary, as at that age they can start going down hill very quickly if you aren't on top of it.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:52 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
thanks--
we have had two cats with renal failure and took them into the vet's for fluids twice a week or more so we have been through taking care of cats--
this is just different way to go...

Old 02-12-2015, 07:02 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
My elderly cat liked fish stock. I would simmer salmon, mackeral and cod parts for an hour, strain the liquid, discard the solids and let cool to room temperature at which it would a gel. Rich in fats and nutrients and easily digestible. Probably close to 50 calories per tbs.

Remember though that cats like people need some fiber to move things along.

Also, raw meat is good on the menu too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats