Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 09:59 AM

88,556 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Oh wait, I've seen this before. There is a term that describes this type of usage but I forgot what it was. It's similar to a statement like "You should not have so much meat in your diet" in that the word meat is taken to mean a general plural term. So in the sense of "sun and cloud", the meteorologist might just mean a general sense of cloudiness as opposed to multiple clouds.
That's how I read/hear it.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:45 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Speaking of cloud(s), can anyone please explain to me the difference between "partly cloudy" and "partly sunny?" Aren't they the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 01:08 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Speaking of cloud(s), can anyone please explain to me the difference between "partly cloudy" and "partly sunny?" Aren't they the same thing?
I think the main difference is that partly sunny can only occur in the daytime when the sun may be visible in the sky between sunrise and sunset but partly cloudy can occur at any moment in time within a 24 hour period.

Old 05-06-2023, 01:53 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,323,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Another example:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mix-of-sun...iday-1.6248729

I have a feeling most people say things the American way and this usage is prescribed to be more Canadian and/or it's regional.

Meanwhile, in the U.S.:

https://www.abc12.com/weather/foreca...502396c4e.html
Interesting learn something here every day.

Could be that Canadians are laconic, preferring simpler, shorter and less fanciful expressions.

https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...oun-for-clouds

Old 05-06-2023, 04:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The way I've always interpreted that was that " partly cloudy " means mainly sunshine with some cloud, and
"Partly sunny" means mainly cloudy with some sunshine.

Old 05-06-2023, 06:29 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
It's true that you do hear "mix of sun and cloud".

Didn't know it was not said in the US.

Old 05-06-2023, 08:01 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,344,424 times
Quote:
Here's a weird one that I think flies under the radar linguistically. I am American. Whenever I hear a Canadian weather person talk about clouds, they refer to it in a singular, uncountable noun "cloud" in the same manner as "fog", whereas in American English, we would use "clouds" with an s. Im assuming this Canadian usage is the same as UK, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I know it seems minor but it sticks out to me whenever I see/hear it in Canadian media. Is "clouds" even a word in Canadian English? One of those tiny details that seem to go unnoticed.
There's no such thing as "Commonwealth English" or common pronunciation and vocabulary across English speaking countries outside the US.

Sometimes that lack of consistency can be good material for a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybq8m2ZBCG4

In more formal contexts, though, people tend not to find the communication glitches and drop-outs so amusing.

Old 05-07-2023, 12:36 PM

35,037 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Here's a weird one that I think flies under the radar linguistically. I am American. Whenever I hear a Canadian weather person talk about clouds, they refer to it in a singular, uncountable noun "cloud" in the same manner as "fog", whereas in American English, we would use "clouds" with an s. Im assuming this Canadian usage is the same as UK, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I know it seems minor but it sticks out to me whenever I see/hear it in Canadian media. Is "clouds" even a word in Canadian English? One of those tiny details that seem to go unnoticed.
Another is "chesterfield" for couch.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:38 AM

404 posts, read 434,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
There's no such thing as "Commonwealth English" or common pronunciation and vocabulary across English speaking countries outside the US.

Sometimes that lack of consistency can be good material for a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybq8m2ZBCG4

In more formal contexts, though, people tend not to find the communication glitches and drop-outs so amusing.
Yes, I know. Thats why I asked on the Canada board, as opposed to the United Kingdom. I was wondering if this was unique to Canada. I referred to this as "Commonwealth English" because Commonwealth countries tend to follow British usage in varying degrees, vs. American. In Canada's case the spelling but not all of it, but with North American pronunciation but again not everywhere (e.g., Newfoundland English). I know each dialect is different and unique.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:39 AM

404 posts, read 434,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Oh wait, I've seen this before. There is a term that describes this type of usage but I forgot what it was. It's similar to a statement like "You should not have so much meat in your diet" in that the word meat is taken to mean a general plural term. So in the sense of "sun and cloud", the meteorologist might just mean a general sense of cloudiness as opposed to multiple clouds.
This is what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada