Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 03:56 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times

Advertisements

The political future of Alberta, a province that is historically a balancing act of Conservative and Liberal ideologies, is today a toss up between NDP and Conservatives. The only thing that everyone agrees on is that the federal Liberals are an Alberta problem because of C-68 and C-69.

I had a knock on the door Friday evening. There was an hyperactive older man who said someone important would arrive soon. I felt like such a celebrity. I looked beyond him, to the street, and there was a swarm of people running through my neighbourhood. The important man arrived at my door and the hyperactive man ran away.

He said that he was the UCP candidate and would I vote for him. I asked him why environmental concerns are punitive rather than incentive; why is there a carbon tax rather than a rebate for hybrid? He leaned in, trying to peer into what is behind my door, and offered a handshake as limp as a wet rag. I might have voted UPC before meeting the candidate. His party has a long history of old boys club plus Alison Redford, questionable financial dealings, antisocial behaviour, legal problems related to candidate rigging and he has a limp handshake.

Shocking that the UPC is the favoured party. As usual, there isn't much to choose from. Alberta Party has a good leader, but weak support, Green is a BC thing, Liberals are polished but vacant, so what is left?

Albertans should envision what they need in a provincial government with a Conservative federal government. Alberta doesn't need toll roads, privatized health care and alternate carbon tax, and NDP might keep the balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 05:15 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
I’m glad. Trudeau has been bad news all around. Not a good leader imo.
Carbon tax is nuts with a weak economy....he must be in his own dreamland.
Hopefully the high prices at the pump will wake up all Canadians.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:43 AM

The concern is that a retaliatory vote against Trudeau and his Liberals will result in embracing a mysogenist, vacant, socially inept, financially dishonest opportunist government. When people want change, they do some crazy things - like hire an elementary school substitute teacher pretty-boy to run the country.

Carbon tax is just another tax without a benefit. It is punitive rather than incentive. If Canada wants to reduce the problematic off-gassing, incentives need to be provided to encourage people to change. Trudeau, and the UCP, view the carbon tax as income, but they can't yet agree on whether to tax the people, corporations, or both. Neither Liberal nor Conservatives, NDP or Others, are looking to change behaviour through incentives, only to balance their budgets with taxes and devastating deficits.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 PM

Alberta is Conservative again. Liberals are going to make a run for the next government opposition. All leaders conceded graciously.

Some people have predicted that the worst provincial - federal combination would be Conservative - Liberal, something to do with these leaders at this point in time rather than a scenario that has been played out many times in the past. If the Liberals win the next federal election, it's expected to be a disastrous scenario for the country.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:28 PM

Here we go (paraphrased):

"Alberta is over-regulated" by the federal government. Alberta is for the highly educated. The UPC want a fair deal for Alberta within Canada. There is deep frustration in the province. Alberta has provided generously 600 billion dollars to the country, yet everywhere the province turns, it is blocked.

I see war with a Liberal government.

"Problem is getting energy to markets at fair price" but, Alberta energy was targeted by foreign funded campaign against Alberta energy, resulting in huge losses and fire sale prices. OPEC dictatorships are also on the radar.

Sheesh, he is going 100% at Prime Minister job. Just like Trudeau spent the evening bath mouthing Alberta elections, this new premier is taking a shot squarely at Trudeau. Canada should use clean energy produced in Canada. Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, New Bruswick, NWT are all federally aligned, per the new Jason Kenney, new Alberta Premier.

He speaks French, and did take a pot-shot at Quebec.

They're saying that he put other provinces and the USA on notice. This is about the price of oil and who is buying from whom? Is Canada buying from dictatorship countries because it's cheaper? There is a problem somewhere in that.

Last edited by Lieneke; 04-16-2019 at 10:49 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 PM

I must be the most boring person in Canada, but not the most boring person. I am curious about things and questioning matters today. In this fabulous place, I seem to be talking to myself, for the most part.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:40 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
No, you are not talking to yourself. I'm watching. Thing is, I would prefer to let everything settle before I comment. We've gone through something unprecedented, so let's wait and watch and see.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Lieneke; you're definitely not a voice in the wilderness here. The rest of us are being circumspect at this point.

Alberta, has been getting ever more restive for some time and many Canadians are sympathetic to the waffling and wavering over any attempt to transport it's singular greatest asset to market. The stupid American stuff over Keystone XL fades into relative obscurity when considering the walls erected by every Canadian entity from provincial leaders to the Red Hat ladies brigade to stymie Alberta getting it's (ours) product to a more diversified group of market targets.

We love our single payer. We desire a functioning military. We desperately need priority placed upon advanced education. Aboriginals and their issues require everything from reparations to more handouts. Affordable housing ……..the environment...….. the list is endless of issues Canada as a country needs to have some form of unified approach to.

Canadians in numbers seem to think these things can be addressed without an infusion of cash from somewhere. There is a disconnect whenever we come to thinking of our country being stuck in a resource based economy while erecting obstacles to prevent expansion of market for those and all entrepreneurial enterprise in general.

We no longer can afford to provide entities like Bombardier government funds to explore the development of "green lawn mowers". If Bombardier or other Quebec-centric companies wish to enter a competitive market ....they should do so on their own dime.

If you were alive during the HMCS Bonaventure and AVRO Arrow, for just two federal debacles, you would know where my frustration with federal governments has as it's genesis.

Like Chevy; I'm going to wait and see, but cannot refrain from some slight satisfaction at seeing a stick being poked in the eyes of all the usual suspects with Trudeau now having to think on his feet instead of relying upon brown shoes & toney socks with a blue suit avant-garde superficial silliness to carry his water.

This is going to get interesting.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Lieneke; you're definitely not a voice in the wilderness here. The rest of us are being circumspect at this point.

Alberta, has been getting ever more restive for some time and many Canadians are sympathetic to the waffling and wavering over any attempt to transport it's singular greatest asset to market. The stupid American stuff over Keystone XL fades into relative obscurity when considering the walls erected by every Canadian entity from provincial leaders to the Red Hat ladies brigade to stymie Alberta getting it's (ours) product to a more diversified group of market targets.

We love our single payer. We desire a functioning military. We desperately need priority placed upon advanced education. Aboriginals and their issues require everything from reparations to more handouts. Affordable housing ……..the environment...….. the list is endless of issues Canada as a country needs to have some form of unified approach to.

Canadians in numbers seem to think these things can be addressed without an infusion of cash from somewhere. There is a disconnect whenever we come to thinking of our country being stuck in a resource based economy while erecting obstacles to prevent expansion of market for those and all entrepreneurial enterprise in general.

We no longer can afford to provide entities like Bombardier government funds to explore the development of "green lawn mowers". If Bombardier or other Quebec-centric companies wish to enter a competitive market ....they should do so on their own dime.

If you were alive during the HMCS Bonaventure and AVRO Arrow, for just two federal debacles, you would know where my frustration with federal governments has as it's genesis.

Like Chevy; I'm going to wait and see, but cannot refrain from some slight satisfaction at seeing a stick being poked in the eyes of all the usual suspects with Trudeau now having to think on his feet instead of relying upon brown shoes & toney socks with a blue suit avant-garde superficial silliness to carry his water.

This is going to get interesting.
On that I think everyone agrees. It is the phrase I've heard most often on this.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:17 PM

The new premier is very strategically forming a team of similar minded provincial leaders to make a plan to take on the federal government. I sure hope the new guy can do what he said and reverse the 6.7% unemployment rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary