Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:55 PM

4 posts, read 11,228 times

Advertisements

Since living in Calgary during the boom, we left before the bust. I now find myself missing the city living as we relocated to a smaller location. I miss the opportunities in a bigger city and options. I was in Calgary recently and found the place still a nice location but not sure if or what to think in terms of affordability, definitely more to do. Would rather have stuff to do than to be in a boring place. Could be the most non detailed post. Much more to put in. Physical space in Calgary more- space to do things. Where we live now, lots of privatized spaces- hence, permissions or permits or private land. Sociallly I found Calgary a more friendlier place with things and people to do. I know this is not detailed. I dont intend for it to be. How do you decide where, you are. I know Calgary took a turn for the worst. Not sure if where I am is a place that is worse.

Last edited by easterngirl27; 04-23-2017 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 06:52 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,834 times
We just moved here and so far love it. Weather is great and the amount of outdoor activities is overwhelming! While the work opportunities may not be as plentiful here compared to where we were, we decided quality of life was more important then $$.

But give your new place a chance, it takes time to settle in.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 11,228 times
its been years, nearly 8 to be exact-- we moved out in 2009- i went to visit Calgary just recently this past winter and i felt this nostalgic feeling of, wanting to go back. I think a lot of the aspects of the city resonate with me, in terms of having physical spaces, amenities, malls, places to go. Where we are now, its super limiting. I suppose its also about figuring out a lot f things in terms of what makes you happy, and gives your life that sense of connection. Perhaps a vacation there with the kids and see what and how that looks and feels, plus secure contacts and start considering the move or when? If we do. Thanks, any other input great. I didnt really know where else to make these comments, as in, except here, so i figured, it'd be fine, to put it out there.

Last edited by easterngirl27; 04-25-2017 at 04:16 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 12,856 times
I can completely relate. I just posted a thread asking this very question! Whether we should simply move back because we miss the hell out of it!

Old 07-13-2018, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,370 times
Calgary, absolutely wonderful place to grow up

Old 05-01-2019, 02:55 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Calgary is a great place to live, but isn't a very exciting city overall.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,277 times
That's because you have a good taste, my friend!

Old 07-05-2020, 12:05 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,083 times
Calgary is clean and safe but it's just not a very interesting city to live in.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:15 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Yank, here. I've been to Calgary to visit relatives, and I was very impressed with the malls. The US has nothing like them! Amazing architecture! And I"m not a mall person! But I enjoyed Calgary's malls, and downtown. And I was there in winter, or late fall. It was snowy, yet the way public indoor spaces are designed, it was delightful to be out and about! Buildings seemed to be designed to alleviate winter doldrums from the cold and reduced sunlight.

It must be hot in the summers, though, I imagine.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:20 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yank, here. I've been to Calgary to visit relatives, and I was very impressed with the malls. The US has nothing like them! Amazing architecture! And I"m not a mall person! But I enjoyed Calgary's malls, and downtown. And I was there in winter, or late fall. It was snowy, yet the way public indoor spaces are designed, it was delightful to be out and about! Buildings seemed to be designed to alleviate winter doldrums from the cold and reduced sunlight.

It must be hot in the summers, though, I imagine.
It's not that hot in the summer, especially not this summer. And the weather always changes here. I'm planning on moving as soon as the pandemic dies down. There are pros and cons. But Cow Town just ain't the place I can picture myself living in long-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary