Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Red, I'm with you!

In meditation, one can reach a state of nibbana/nirvana. It is simply the cessation of suffering, absolute acceptance and being in the moment. Extremely hard to achieve.

Another difference between christianity and buddhism? Anyone can be a buddha, it's not an exclusive club.

It's also a philosophy, not a religion.
Yes, I agree that it is a philosophy and not a religion -- but that distinction confuses most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 09:16 PM

245 posts, read 625,261 times
calling buddism a religon is a sacriligous thing to do.
just funnin

Old 01-26-2008, 11:53 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
I was first turned on to buddhism by a jewish buddhist.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:00 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,626 times
it is true that buddhism is a philosophy, but the goal is the same, liberation.

in that case, yoga could be a philosophy too, or christianism.

and like others mentioned here everyone could be a buddha, everyone could be a shiva either or a christ, it is ignorance and the desire of controlling people that makes the heads of churches tell that only a few selected will be saved/liberated.

but not all religions believe this, and wise people from every religion knows that we are all sons of God, and what really matters is that your heart and actions are full of love.

now, what does Religion mean?

Religion comes from the Latin word religiare, to bind.

So the meaning of religion at least literally is to create a bond with God, that will relieve you forever from suffering and disease.

interestingly enough, Yoga means exactly the same thing, to bind.

so if you think of Buddhism in this way it is a religion also, it creates a bond with your inner self to relieve you from any suffering, death or negative thoughts emotions.

I doubt a true buddhist would consider a sacrilege calling buddhism a religion, because buddhists are wise and he will understand the sense of the words written here.

regardless of your religion, philosophy or lack of.

be happy, enjoy life to the max, love and be loved, peace and harmony for all of us, for eternity!!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,894 times
Quote:

So the meaning of religion at least literally is to create a bond with God, that will relieve you forever from suffering and disease.
As a christian though, we don't look upon what we believe as a "religion" but a relationship. Through Christ's redemptive work on the Cross, we can freely come to the Father without any condemnation or barriers. We can love and worship Him in a one-to-one relationship. God comes to us with a relationship; man tries to go to God with religion.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
As a christian though, we don't look upon what we believe as a "religion" but a relationship. Through Christ's redemptive work on the Cross, we can freely come to the Father without any condemnation or barriers. We can love and worship Him in a one-to-one relationship. God comes to us with a relationship; man tries to go to God with religion.
Couldn't be said better my friend!! full respect!!

All religions seek the same thing, unity with the father or in godless philosophies like buddhism at least relief from death, disease and suffering, unfortunately sometimes we believe that one way is the right way, this has more to do with religious leaders wanting to monopolize and control their faithful followers, than with God being selective, but if you study the teachings carefully we are seeking the same thing.

Every major religion has a leader, which is someone that could find God and lead the way for others to follow, for some is Christ, for some is Krishna for others is Buddha, and for others every saint from every religion is equally valid.

I'll copy some hindu mantras here to set the example.
अप् सह होतृ सच द सच धन हर हर हर
"The Lord Himself has become our protector, the Truest of True has taken care of us, God, God, God", or "The Lord Himself is my refuge, true is the support of the True Lord".
असतोमा सद्गमय।
तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
"From ignorance, lead me to truth; From darkness, lead me to light; From death, lead me into immortality"
सर्वे भवन्तु सुखिनः।
सर्वे सन्तु निरामयाः।सर्वे भद्राणि पश्यन्तु। मा कश्चित् दुःख भाग्भवेत्॥
(Om, May all be happy. May all be healthy. May we all experience what is good and let no one suffer. Om, Peace, Peace, Peace!

Now, what is the only thing that God truly wants from us? what does the master of universe could want from a mere mortal? what could a mortal give to him that he doesn't have?

Our love, that's what we can offer to God, Christ, Krishna, Buddha and all the englightened masters who came to give us their message, showed a love for God that is out of this world.

Buddhists might say but how was that Buddha loved God, in which way? wasn't Buddha all loving and compassionate with his fellow man.

what are the Buddha's four immeasurables?

Loving kindness, Compassion, Joy, and Boundless. equanimity.

Is this really that different from Christ's message?

From Krishna's message?

think about it

Om, May all be happy. May all be healthy. May we all experience what is good and let no one suffer. Om, Peace, Peace, Peace!

Old 01-27-2008, 12:44 PM

245 posts, read 625,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
it is true that buddhism is a philosophy, but the goal is the same, liberation.

in that case, yoga could be a philosophy too, or christianism.

and like others mentioned here everyone could be a buddha, everyone could be a shiva either or a christ, it is ignorance and the desire of controlling people that makes the heads of churches tell that only a few selected will be saved/liberated.

but not all religions believe this, and wise people from every religion knows that we are all sons of God, and what really matters is that your heart and actions are full of love.

now, what does Religion mean?

interestingly enough, Yoga means exactly the same thing, to bind.

so if you think of Buddhism in this way it is a religion also, it creates a bond with your inner self to relieve you from any suffering, death or negative thoughts emotions.

I doubt a true buddhist would consider a sacrilege calling buddhism a religion, because buddhists are wise and he will understand the sense of the words written here.

regardless of your religion, philosophy or lack of.

be happy, enjoy life to the max, love and be loved, peace and harmony for all of us, for eternity!!
regardless of its origens religon actualy refers to repartition, I.E 'jonny religously brushed his teeth every morning'

Old 05-28-2022, 08:39 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
It is only in the west that this doubt about Buddhism being a religion arises. If you look below the end of the posts you will see this question is repeated in several threads, and never resolved. Hinduism as well is said to be not a religion. i think the problem is the meaning the western mind ascribes to religion, god, sin and applies that to all systems if thoughts on divinity and practices. Buddha himself did not mention God or religion because he did not speak in English.
Buddhists and Hindus really don’t care the dharma they follow and the divinity they worship is religion and god or not, they know what they are - worshipers of the divine spirit.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:32 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is only in the west that this doubt about Buddhism being a religion arises. If you look below the end of the posts you will see this question is repeated in several threads, and never resolved. Hinduism as well is said to be not a religion. i think the problem is the meaning the western mind ascribes to religion, god, sin and applies that to all systems if thoughts on divinity and practices. Buddha himself did not mention God or religion because he did not speak in English.
Buddhists and Hindus really don’t care the dharma they follow and the divinity they worship is religion and god or not, they know what they are - worshipers of the divine spirit.
No.

You tell us that people should stick to the religion they are born into. So stop being the spokesperson for Buddhism.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:08 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No.

You tell us that people should stick to the religion they are born into. So stop being the spokesperson for Buddhism.
Since you are quoting me about people sticking to their religion they are born into, follow that advice as well. It is actually Lord Krishna's advice to the prince Arjuna: Better to follow one's own Dharma imperfectly rather than follow anther's Dharma perfectly. You are doing neither. You should stop thinking you are an expert on anything connected to religion other than Christianity and atheism.

If you actually understood anything about Buddhism you would know it is based on resistance to Hinduism, so they are both intimately connected. Buddhism is home grown and of the same soil, culture and language. Pali is a derivative of Sanskrit which Siddartha, a Hindu prince, studied, and was a scholar of. Dharma, karma, nirvana, sangam, dukkha, kama are all Sanskrit words and concepts. When he attained realization he was called Buddha, the enlightened in Sanskrit, by guess who? The Hindus. Guess who were his first followers? Hindus. Read the rest of this thread and maybe you will learn something.

You certainly do not own Buddhism, nor can decide who can speak about it. What a ridiculous and non-Buddhist idea. Try a different religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism