Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 08:18 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times

Advertisements

.Hi, tulegirl. I have not read Great Granny Webster before now. But, I do have The Last of the Duchess by the same author sitting on a shelf waiting to be read.

Let us know what you think about Great Granny Webster. Caroline Blackwood seems to have an acerbic bent to her writing. Is Great Granny Webster written this way, also?

Thanks, for the tip on Powell's. It can take the mind of Sherlock to find out of print books sometimes! It took me 25 years to get a copy of It All Started With Columbus, and it looks every bit its age.

Last edited by gemkeeper; 03-28-2008 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: Added a thought before it's too late!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:57 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Thanks, tulegirl, for the good reminder about Powells, a truly wonderful bookstore. I often wish I had gone West rather than back East just to be able to browse their shelves.

gemkeeper and others, they have an on-line wish list, and over the years, I don't think they failed me once. I may have had to wait a year or more, but sooner or later, even the most difficult books to find turned up and most often at affordable prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post

I get all my harder to find (than usual) books from Powells. Sometimes I have been able to snag out of print stuff.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:30 AM

That is great information, ontheroad. I had no idea that Powells would do that online. I just registered with them on their website. What a great find. Thank you both, ontheroad and tulegirl.

Must run off for awhile. Life goes on!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:48 AM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Caroline Blackwood seems to have an acerbic bent to her writing. Is Great Granny Webster written this way, also?
Yes, very much so.... the girl truly has no shame.

Wasn't "acerbic" yesterday's word of the day?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks, tulegirl, for the good reminder about Powells, a truly wonderful bookstore. I often wish I had gone West rather than back East just to be able to browse their shelves.

gemkeeper and others, they have an on-line wish list, and over the years, I don't think they failed me once. I may have had to wait a year or more, but sooner or later, even the most difficult books to find turned up and most often at affordable prices.
Powell's one of the top ten reasons not to move from Portland. Every time we think of moving to get away from the rain, I think of not being able to browse at Powell's on a whim. I am fortunate to be able to order by phone and then pick up at the surburban branch. As a matter of fact, I just ordered The War at Home by Nora Eisenberg one of the candidates for the Book Club. And, the first snow of the season, beautiful big flakes, are fallling as I type. Of course, they're melting as soon as they land. LOL

Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Hi Gem!

I just started reading Great Granny Webster by Caroline Blackwood.
Has anyone else read it?

I get all my harder to find (than usual) books from Powells. Sometimes I have been able to snag out of print stuff.
Well thank you! I just popped over to Amazon to check this book out
Sounds interesting & amusing so of course I ordered it

Now I have to get to the Post Office and mail my sister 1000 Splendid Suns...long wait at her library for it

Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 AM

Default Yikes, this grew beyond a quick note! Sorry!

You are a nice sister, njkate! I hope your sister enjoys the book as most of us did.

Do Powell's discount all of their books, tigerlily, or do they have featured book discounted? I am definitely going to use their website when I can't find a book locally. I think between Powell's and Symposium in RI, we have hit the jackpot for locating hard to find books! Happy!

Ahhhh, snow falling gently while you work! Sounds beautiful. I do miss the snows of NE PA. It will be over soon, tigerlily.

Very funny, tulegirl! Maybe I should throw one out every day like I did with my 4 boys when they were growing up! Did I make you look up "acerbic"? Good!

It's funny that as a girl I would use the Reader's Digest and give myself a new word from their vocabulary section. A dear friend and I would test one another frequently on our new words. Sounds a bit like Amir, doesn't it?

I would do the same with my boys and it was always a family game for us to test one another in our conversations with new and not often used words. My sons became more efficient than their mother, I'm afraid.

My third son, who is now 30, continues this game and 2 or 3 times a week, sends me and the other 3 sons "a word of the day". His brothers tease him mercilessly. (Now, it does sound like Amir!) They email back some of the funniest sentences using a take-off of the word.

Yesterday, Mike sent us all the word, "anatomize", and dared anyone to be able to butcher that word up. (It means to analyze something to death or take it apart for in depth inspection - ala, anatomy). After his brothers made several vain, but futile, attempts to foul the vocab waters, Mike was quite pleased with himself that no one could destroy his new word. I was driven to respond with "Mike, that is what little Max (my 2 yr. old grandson) says "Ah gnat on my eyes". Michael isn't talking to me today!!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:13 AM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Very funny, tulegirl! Maybe I should throw one out every day like I did with my 4 boys when they were growing up! Did I make you look up "acerbic"? Good!
Sorry - I've known what "acerbic" means for decades...

I was thinking that Karla with a K had it on her ? of the Day post sometime this last week...

I used to love the Reader's Digest words, too. Lately I have noticed that they have been "dumbed down" a lot. They aren't at all challenging. Such a shame...

Now I prefer to play with dictionaries & thesauri.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Sorry - I've known what "acerbic" means for decades...

I was thinking that Karla with a K had it on her ? of the Day post sometime this last week...

I used to love the Reader's Digest words, too. Lately I have noticed that they have been "dumbed down" a lot. They aren't at all challenging. Such a shame...

Now I prefer to play with dictionaries & thesauri.
I figured you knew what it was!! I rarely think about what words I am using when writing unless I am writing to my grandchildren. Then, I am very careful to not use "acerbic"!

That is funny that Karla used it on a thread. What forum is "the word of the day on"? CC? I'll have to look for it; I love doing it with my boys. I do confess that I had to look up "anatomize yesterday. I had the root word, but was semi-correct in my thinking.

You are a girl after my own heart. I love words and word games. I haven't seen the vocab in Reader's Digest for years. I'll have to look at one in the grocery or book store, whichever I hit first.

My favorite these days is "Scrabble". I just have trouble getting someone to play with me. I'll have to look on line or maybe figure out a way to start a scrabble thread. Aha, I think I got it.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:37 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,182 times
Hi gemkeeper!

You will find Karla's question of the day on the Other Topics every day...Like good ole clockwork, she'll have her question ready and is also ready for any question you might think up too...She's fun because she'll also have a specific work for the day and will pass extra credit if you use it in your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books