Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 09:00 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times

Advertisements

King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild....

I always wondered how it came to be that the tiny country of Belgium had such a large colony in Congo.
Now I know enough to keep me awake at night..................

And as a general rule, any of the series Hard Core History, by Dan Carlin. Available as a podcast at Apple.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...173001861?mt=2

Mongols, WW I......it's all good stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 09:56 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,045,263 times
Thru-Hiking Will Break Your Heart: An Adventure on the Pacific Crest Trail by Carrot Quinn.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:46 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
The man who mistook his wife for a hat by Oliver Sacks. Fascinating stuff. Each chapter can be read as a stand-alone so you can dip in and out of it (although you will not want to put it down).

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat: And Other Clinical Tales, Oliver Sacks - Amazon.com
I've enjoyed every Oliver Sacks book I've read. I'm just starting to read Hallucinations right now.

Another one, not by Oliver Sacks but by Rebecca Skloot, which I thoroughly enjoyed and plan to re-read is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. To quote from the back cover of the book, "Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor black tobacco farmer whose cells - taken without her knowledge in 1951 - became one of the most important tools in medicine, vital for developing the polio vaccine, cloning, gene mapping, and more. Henrietta's cells have been bought and sold by the billions, yet she remains virtually unknown, and her family can't afford health insurance. This phenomenal New York Times bestseller tells a riveting story of the collision between ethics, race, and medicine; of scientific discovery and faith healing; and of a daughter consumed with questions about the mother she never knew."

So many good suggestions on this thread! Thanks, everyone!

Old 09-07-2015, 05:38 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Keep the list going people!
I have seen a few books on here that I never heard of, but am now interested in. Will definitely be picking up that Carrot Quinn book mentioned above.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:41 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I've enjoyed every Oliver Sacks book I've read. I'm just starting to read Hallucinations right now.

Another one, not by Oliver Sacks but by Rebecca Skloot, which I thoroughly enjoyed and plan to re-read is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. To quote from the back cover of the book, "Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor black tobacco farmer whose cells - taken without her knowledge in 1951 - became one of the most important tools in medicine, vital for developing the polio vaccine, cloning, gene mapping, and more. Henrietta's cells have been bought and sold by the billions, yet she remains virtually unknown, and her family can't afford health insurance. This phenomenal New York Times bestseller tells a riveting story of the collision between ethics, race, and medicine; of scientific discovery and faith healing; and of a daughter consumed with questions about the mother she never knew."

So many good suggestions on this thread! Thanks, everyone!
sad to hear he has passed.

Tea with Oliver Sacks: Will Self, Andrew Solomon and Sue Halpern pay tribute | Books | The Guardian

Old 09-07-2015, 10:32 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times
Yes. So sad. What a loss. I plan to get his autobiography, titled "On The Move", when I get caught up on my current stack.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
"Someone Knows My Name" aka "The Book of Negroes" was one of the best books I've read in the past ten years. I could not put it down, and I realize now that I don't look at any African American people in the same light as I did before reading this book, so I'd say it made a profound impact on me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/bo...ne-t.html?_r=0
Quote:
In Lawrence Hill’s wonderfully written fictional slave narrative, “Someone Knows My Name,” the protagonist exhibits similar “proof on my flesh” of slavery’s barbarity. But to do so, she must face her audience. The evidence Aminata Diallo has to offer is inscribed above her breast, the enslaved female body instantly sexualized. Captured at around the age of 12, she was marched to the African coast and branded, “a finger’s length above my right nipple,” before embarking on the monstrous Middle Passage.
The book is marketed as fiction because not much is known about the main character so a lot of it is conjecture when it comes to her personal life. But the historical events and even the things that happen to her in this book are based on true events and real people - she is just a composite of more than one person.

Riveting story.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:04 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,689,634 times
Another suggestion for animal lovers (and anyone who enjoys humorous non-fiction) is the All Creatures Great and Small series by James Herriot. They are all about his life working as a vet in rural England.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Another suggestion for animal lovers (and anyone who enjoys humorous non-fiction) is the All Creatures Great and Small series by James Herriot. They are all about his life working as a vet in rural England.
You know what - if you love this book (and it's a really good book), I think you would like The Pennine Walkies. A middle aged man and his middle aged dog decide to walk the Pennine Trail in northern England. It's full of gentle humor and it's very interesting! An easy, delightful read - I was very pleasantly surprised!

Pennine Walkies by Mark Wallington

Quote:
The original Boogie, reluctant hero of the South West Peninsular Path, was the Mongrel from hell. Mark Wallington's New Boogie, like New Labour, appears a much trendier and more wholesome incarnation -until, that is, Mark gets him on the Pennine Way. This is the big one in every sense. Clearly Boogie will do fine -but will Mark be up to the task?
Boogie is his dog.

Honestly, I'll be the first to admit that it sounds sort of lame, but the book was actually so good that I couldn't put it down.

If you like Bill Bryson, you would probably like this book.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:12 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times
The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey Paperback – October 10, 2006
by Candice Millard

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

The autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Cocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller

Savage Kingdom: The True Story of Jamestown, 1607, and the Settlement of America – April 8, 2008
by Benjamin Woolley

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed AmericaFeb 10, 2004
by Erik Larson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books