Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 01:33 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,109,189 times

Advertisements

I am adopting one this weekend . just would like to know someone else has one so we can talk about it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 06:07 AM

6,488 posts, read 10,372,452 times
I don't currently, but I did for many years. Is it an adult or a baby ? Was it a pet ? Male or female ?

Old 06-29-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I don't currently, but I did for many years. Is it an adult or a baby ? Was it a pet ? Male or female ?

she is 20 and she has been a pet for the last 16 yrs . Now I have had parrots all my life my mother got me an African grey when I was 6 he passed about 5 yrs ago have not had a bird since , I had no idea he was sick I found him passed away in the bottom the cage .I have read everything I can get my hands on she will be here Monday morning . I know what they eat fruit and veggies should make up about 80 percent of their diet . they also like to eat pasta and beans and some nuts . I m going to leave her alone for about a week until she gets used to me . I have also had amazons and one amazon was so mean I had to re home him to someone who was better equipped to handle him . But I had a yellow nape amazon who was beautiful but he was already about 45 when I adopted him and he also passed but he was so sweet he leaned how to say mama and I love you . so please let me know anything else I should know about an eclectus thank you .

Old 06-29-2019, 01:07 PM

6,488 posts, read 10,372,452 times
Definitely confirm the bird's current diet from the current owner. If the bird is 20, I wouldn't recommend any radical changes of the diet. Yes, fruit and veggies are a preferred/healthier diet than just seed, but seed or pellets should be part of the diet.

I had raised breeding adults and some hand-fed babies over the years. In my experience, they may talk but are not fantastic talkers. They are beautiful birds (both male and female) and can make nice pets depending on how much they were handled. I have seen very gentle Eclectus and some rather vicious ones.

While I might not be able to answer every question, I will offer as much information as I can and I would be happy to help.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Definitely confirm the bird's current diet from the current owner. If the bird is 20, I wouldn't recommend any radical changes of the diet. Yes, fruit and veggies are a preferred/healthier diet than just seed, but seed or pellets should be part of the diet.

I had raised breeding adults and some hand-fed babies over the years. In my experience, they may talk but are not fantastic talkers. They are beautiful birds (both male and female) and can make nice pets depending on how much they were handled. I have seen very gentle Eclectus and some rather vicious ones.

While I might not be able to answer every question, I will offer as much information as I can and I would be happy to help.

Thank you so much . Of course I hope this does not fall through . I had one lady last year and it fell through and it was heartbreaking so you know anything could happen . I never count on anything until it is in hand . This lady that had the African grey last year said she decided at the last minute she changed her mind and of course I was heartbroken . It was also a nightmare too . One month she would call me I want you to adopt and then a couple of days later I have changed my mind and this went on for about three months until we finally had to tell her to please stop calling me and breaking my heart . That sort of thing and I hope this woman is not of that caliber you know ? It is always iffy when you are dealing with some people .

Old 07-01-2019, 06:01 AM

well it fell through it amazes me how people can lie so easily to you on the phone . im so disappointed but there might be a reason for it falling through and maybe the Good Lord is keeping me from a problem that would occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds