Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times

Advertisements

NL East Champs baby! Would have been nice to win last night though. Hope they they win the last two games so it doesn't feel like wer'e backing into the playoffs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times
Congrats to the Nats!!! Hopefully, 2012 World Series Champions, but they have to start playing better than they have in the past 2-3 weeks. Hopefully, Gio gets win 22 tonight!

Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Congratulations to the Nats on a great run! It will be fun seeing them in the playoffs.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:11 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
Teddy Wins! With the win he broke his 525 race losing streak in the President's Race!

TEDDY WINS!!... FINALLY!!! 1st Presidents Race Victory For Big Headed Version Of 26th U.S. President - Federal Baseball

I know some people think the President's Race is hokey, but I like it. It isn't original (was Milwaukee's the first?) but it plays in very well with some unique DC culture and is nice for the kids. I hope they keep it going.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Teddy Wins! With the win he broke his 525 race losing streak in the President's Race!

TEDDY WINS!!... FINALLY!!! 1st Presidents Race Victory For Big Headed Version Of 26th U.S. President - Federal Baseball

I know some people think the President's Race is hokey, but I like it. It isn't original (was Milwaukee's the first?) but it plays in very well with some unique DC culture and is nice for the kids. I hope they keep it going.

I heard today Teddy is actually a Phillies fan - funny maybe it will bring good luck

Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM

Presidential Descendent Believes Nationals Cannot Overcome Teddy’s Curse « CBS Philly

Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 AM

That is actually pretty funny, but the timing is a bit off, since Teddy won yesterday. The story should have run after one of his 500-something losses. But since he won, does that mean the "curse" is lifted?

Baseball fans are so supersitious...I have heard/read several differing takes on the Teddy thing and whether his win will bring good or bad luck to the teams.

I liked that Zim hit a homer in the first at-bat following the win, and of course the Nats won the game yesterday...maybe those two facts will help defuse any curse talk...

Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
That is actually pretty funny, but the timing is a bit off, since Teddy won yesterday. The story should have run after one of his 500-something losses. But since he won, does that mean the "curse" is lifted?

Baseball fans are so supersitious...I have heard/read several differing takes on the Teddy thing and whether his win will bring good or bad luck to the teams.

I liked that Zim hit a homer in the first at-bat following the win, and of course the Nats won the game yesterday...maybe those two facts will help defuse any curse talk...

Oddly on the local news radio station yesterday morning they were playing this story only to have it resolved later that afternoon, irony or ...

Anyway superstitious are funny.

In Philly there was the curse of Billy Penn when a building was built taller than his statue on city hall. The result was a new statue at the top of the tallest building in Philly the comcast center and well the rest is history.

Curse of Billy Penn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as the Nats - I actually always enjoyed Werth, not sure I can root for them but no real ill feelings like if say it was the Mets.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM

I had heard about the Curse of Billy Penn, but I didn't know about the smaller statue on the Comcast Center in an attempt to lift the curse. That is funny stuff!

Good for the fans in Philly (and of course the broken Curse of the Bambino in Boston a few years earlier and the Curse of the Blacksox) to break their curses, but in some ways I miss the curses...they are fun local lore. Only the Cubbies are still holding tight to their Curse of the Billy Goat.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
What about the curse of the Sports Illustrated magazine cover, which the Orioles just happen to be on last week? We'll find out tomorrow I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball