Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 09:47 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
They were quite reliable. More reliable than the Corvair.
Funny you mention that. Prior to the Chevy II, my father had a '62 Corvair Monza. Being a sales rep for an industrial equipment company meant that he used to run up the miles on his cars, and traded every 18 months, or so. I don't recall him having any issues with the 'Vair, but maybe he didn't keep it long enough....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 10:09 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Room. And comfort. Now I can say that modern bucket seats are more comfortable and supportive, but being able to rest your arm on the door sill with the window open or closed makes for relaxing driving. And fabric and upholstery on the doors and no hard plastics adds comfort. Room. Can you put your arm through the side of the car seat and the door and side pillars? Our small dog could walk from the front seat to the back between the seat and the doors.
Can you sit three people comfortably on the bench seat front and back? Lots of leg room in both? Huge cavernous trunk?
The family car was a 1967 Chevy Biscayne for 10 years. Then my first car was a 1962 Buick Invicta.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:09 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Funny you mention that. Prior to the Chevy II, my father had a '62 Corvair Monza. Being a sales rep for an industrial equipment company meant that he used to run up the miles on his cars, and traded every 18 months, or so. I don't recall him having any issues with the 'Vair, but maybe he didn't keep it long enough....
Yes, maybe that is why. I have many of those old Consumer Reports annual auto issues. The frequency of repair for the Corvair ranged from average to worse than average. For comparison, the mid-'60s Plymouth Barracuda ranged from better than average to much better than average.

The Barracuda also had several advantages over the Corvair:

- Available V-8 engine, including a 4-bbl V-8.

- Automatic transmission was the 3-speed Torqueflite; the Corvair for all the years it was made (1960-1969) was stuck with the primitive 2-speed Powerglide.

- The hi-po version of the Barracuda could run 0-60 mph in 8 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 16 seconds; the hi-po version of the Corvair usually ran 0-60 mph in the 10s and the 1/4 mile around 18 seconds.

- A/C available in the Barracuda; not sure if available in the Corvair.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Room. And comfort. Now I can say that modern bucket seats are more comfortable and supportive, but being able to rest your arm on the door sill with the window open or closed makes for relaxing driving. And fabric and upholstery on the doors and no hard plastics adds comfort. Room. Can you put your arm through the side of the car seat and the door and side pillars? Our small dog could walk from the front seat to the back between the seat and the doors.
Can you sit three people comfortably on the bench seat front and back? Lots of leg room in both? Huge cavernous trunk?
The family car was a 1967 Chevy Biscayne for 10 years. Then my first car was a 1962 Buick Invicta.
The advantage to the bench seats was in dating. My wife and I will hit our 50th anniversary next fall, and we dated in my 1964 Skylark Sport Wagon, and she sat in the middle of the front seat. Today when she rides with me in my 1974 Nova with bench seat, she stays on the passenger side, because it has a stick shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive