Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 09:20 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times

Advertisements

Typo, though easy to figure.

Crosstrek.
My question was serious, why three in the short time they have been on market for 9 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2024, 03:22 PM

65 posts, read 24,385 times
Looks are subjective, but the Subaru Crosstrek is like a hatchback - it looks so different than the other small SUVs. It has too much of a slopping back. Personally, the Crosstrek looks ugly. SUVs should have a usable cargo space, and that means not have a sloping back like a hatchback.

Old 03-17-2024, 07:42 PM

7,489 posts, read 7,156,393 times
Like them or not they still typically are sold before they even hit the dealership. Therefore customers are buying what Subaru is building.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:17 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd rep you if I could.

Other publications have found offerings from Buick, GMC and Chevrolet at top of class for value and reliability yet CR consistently goes the opposite. Independent my hiney...
CR lost me years ago. They continued to push Honda/Acura as top reliability when several people I know, including me, continued to experience transmission problems in a variety of models from early on after purchasing new.

I owned a number of Subarus. However, 2012 was my last one since it "consumed" oil at an uncomfortable rate. I used to have to carry spare quarts of oil in the back since I drove 500 miles per week and was adding a quart about every 1000 to 1200 miles. Subaru said it was normal and I disagreed. Every other Subaru I had owned prior to that year the oil was just about at the full mark on its 4000 or 5000 mile oil change.

The problem was a common one and I believe the Crosstrek, among other models, was involved in a 2012 to 2017 class action law suit related to excessive oil consumption. CR glossed over this problem and continued to recommend it as a top pick.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:06 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Like them or not they still typically are sold before they even hit the dealership.

Not even remotely true. There are 83 of them on a lot by my house.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:37 AM

7,489 posts, read 7,156,393 times
Great to know. People can at least now find them as there's eager buyers that have been waiting out there not wanting to order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not even remotely true. There are 83 of them on a lot by my house.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:52 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
CR lost me years ago. They continued to push Honda/Acura as top reliability when several people I know, including me, continued to experience transmission problems in a variety of models from early on after purchasing new.

I owned a number of Subarus. However, 2012 was my last one since it "consumed" oil at an uncomfortable rate. I used to have to carry spare quarts of oil in the back since I drove 500 miles per week and was adding a quart about every 1000 to 1200 miles. Subaru said it was normal and I disagreed. Every other Subaru I had owned prior to that year the oil was just about at the full mark on its 4000 or 5000 mile oil change.

The problem was a common one and I believe the Crosstrek, among other models, was involved in a 2012 to 2017 class action law suit related to excessive oil consumption. CR glossed over this problem and continued to recommend it as a top pick.
In 2009 I bought a new Forester MT (without a turbo, but had a manual transmission). Then with all the noise about head gasket problems, I could not trust this car. In 2011 I traded it for a 2010 RAV4 V6, and never looked back. Handed the key to my wife, who by the way, didn't like driving the Forester because the seat would give her backaches. That's the car she drives.

There are some class action lawsuits against three or so Subaru cars, including the Crosstrek. One of these lawsuits is in NJ, I believe. This one is about engine failure while the car is driven (or while the engine is running). The old close-deck Subaru engine was very reliable, but more expensive to produce. It was replaced with the cheaper open-deck design starting in the early '90s.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-18-2024 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-20-2024, 07:40 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Great to know. People can at least now find them as there's eager buyers that have been waiting out there not wanting to order.

Or maybe no one wants them?!?
I have never seen such a fan boy on C-D. I'm glad you love your car but my god man.

I test drove a Crosstrek, a CRV and a Cherokee before I decided on my CX5.

If I had to rank these 4 cars the Crosstrek was dead last. And I know it actually isn't in the class of the others but I am shallow and self centered when it comes to cars. I chose 3 of these cars for one reason: I liked the way they looked. The 4th was the CRV and it was on my list ONLY because it was the best seller at the time.

Crosstrek = dead last. It was the worst in every category that mattered to me.

CX5
Cherokee
CRV
Crosstrek
Boring to drive, mediocre handling, less tech then the others even at the higher trims.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:25 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Knowing that I would be retiring to snow country, I really wanted to purchase a Crosstrek. When the dealer was showing me the car, we looked inside the trunk. "Where's the spare tire?", I asked. He said there was no spare tire, just an "inflation kit". I'm thinking that won't be much help if the sidewall gets sliced or fails, (which is a distinct possibility in rougher terrain).

No Crosstrek for me. Nor a Forrester or an Outback, (for different reasons). I went with an AWD RAV4, then AWD Highlander. Very happy!

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-20-2024, 10:27 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
I bought a Sport model for use in Hawaii. At age 65, it's the first new car I've ever owned.

My primary requirements were: Relatively small, good ground clearance for the unpaved, rough road I'm on and good MPG.
In comparison to my location in Alaska, a lot of driving is necessary here and gas is even more expensive.

So far I love it. There's also plenty of legroom for my 6'5" frame.
My other vehicle here is a '95 Nissan D21 4x4. They're actually about the same length, with Crosstrek being wider.

In Alaska I have a '97 LX 450. I've enjoyed owning several Toyota trucks and Subarus in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive