Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 AM

6 posts, read 24,868 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what it's like to visit Alaska during fall? I'm thinking late September to early October. Can you catch the Northern Lights then, or no? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 04:51 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
You should be able to but you should go to Fairbanks instead of Anchorage to watch them. It's hard to see them around Anchorage.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
You should refine your area a little better. Fall has snow falling possibly. Temperatures will be in the 50's high and 20's low. Fairbanks has the best Northern Lights viewing in the early months of the year but as you may know they are unpredictable. See the state? July -Sept...Lights? Dec-March

Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
The best timing & location for seeing the Northern Lights is thoroughly discussed on the Trip Advisor forum for Alaska. I'd suggest doing a little research there.
Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska - TripAdvisor

Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 PM

162 posts, read 362,003 times
Perhaps you ought to be more specific about where in Alaska you wish to go?
Consider:

Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Depending on the weather (clouds or clear skies), you should be able to see the Auroras around Fairbanks by the beginning of September. The problem is that you may have to spend several days until the sky clears, so be prepared to spend a week or two around here. I have taken photos of the Auroras while moose hunting near Fairbanks (1-20 September).

Good locations are on the hills surrounding Fairbanks, and any high point from Fairbanks out to Summit Lake and beyond. But it's somewhat common for the snow to fall even by mid September near Summit Lake, although certainly common by the end of the month. Now, sometimes we have long and beautiful summers that stretch into the Fall, and the snow comes late (by October).

Besides the Auroras, the landscape in the interior is amazingly beautiful in September:

Old 04-07-2012, 09:40 PM

25 posts, read 91,262 times
The weather turns quick in Alaska during September!

We have traveled to Alaska for the past 4 years during the month of September for these reasons : less bugs, less people, after Labor day most campground are free, great backpacking weather!

For instance, last year , we had a trip planned out to hike on the Kenai Peninsula. We rented forest service cabins along our 20 mile back pack trip. The days leading up to our trip, the weather did not look good. We kept our options open.

We arrived in ANC on Sept 11. It was cold but sunny.( I had flip flops on) The next day we headed down the Seward Highway and saw the clouds over the peninsula. Dark,dark storm clouds. Repots were saying that it was flooding down there.
We pulled over and called the Denali National Park ranger station and asked how the weather was up that way. " Clear and sunny." We did a U- turn and headed up that way to sunny skies- it was coldy,(55) but no rain. and it stayed clear and sunny for our entire visit. Once getting up there and seeing Denali perfectly, the ranger said that Denali had only been visible 20 days this season. We felt so lucky!

Our last night before heading back to ANC, we stayed at Nancy Lake recreation area on Sept 17. (which is about and hour and a half out of Anchorage. We had clear skies. It was about 39 degrees. Counted at least 20 satellites.
About 1 am, climbing out of tent, looked up and saw the Northern Lights! (my first time!)

It was awesome!

The previous year, we had left for Alaska on Sep 16. We had planned to go up to Denali National Park- The weather was great! I wre tank tops during the day-- However when we left AK on the morning of Sept 26, it was snowing.

If you are away from the city, and the sky is clear, you will see amazing night sky.

There are a several websites that have an Aurora Forecast and it shows in what part of the state has the best chances for viewing. Just type in Aurora forecast and several will pop up.

Are you camping,backpacking? Where were you planning on going? Have you been before?

And as RAyinAk said, the colors of the foliage in September is very special.

Feel free to PM me, I have tons of info , as I plan our Alaska September trips every year!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,638 times
Default Fall is our favorite time in Alaska.

A couple of our fall adventures:

(copy and paste)

http://www.islamujeres.info/communicating/vacation_journal.asp?subpage=&id={D4D2EF3D-FC2F-4E9F-BFE0-73BB7EE99E1D}

http://www.islamujeres.info/communicating/vacation_journal.asp?subpage=&id={A2A3CBC3-493D-4370-B06D-04D1B7EED27A}

Old 04-07-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAuke View Post
Perhaps you ought to be more specific about where in Alaska you wish to go?
Consider:
Good point. That puts it in perspective.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 PM

I'm considering taking a cruise from Anchorage in September. I wanted to see how long I should arrive before the cruise to do some sightseeing.

Thanks for everyone's good advice. They at least will give me a starting point to planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska