Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:18 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times

Advertisements

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Troopers rescue Healy man freezing in wilderness (http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/16522935/article-Troopers-rescue-Healy-man-freezing-in-wilderness?instance=home_news_window_left_top_3 - broken link)

He took most of my food and dropped poison in my syrup,” Costales said of the alleged thief. “I already know who it is. I hope to resolve this pretty soon.”

This isn’t the first time troopers have dealt with Costales, who Jeffords described as “kind of a unique guy.” This is the second winter Costales has spent camping and prospecting along the Wood River. Troopers were asked to check on him twice last winter by people in Healy who knew him and were worried that he wasn’t prepared.

“He chased us off twice when we went out to check on him,” Jeffords said. “He said he didn’t want anything to do with people and he wanted to be left alone.

“He just kind of drifts around out there,” the trooper said. “Usually, he ends up using other peoples’ cabins.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times
That's some weird story for sure. I would like to hear the whole story; when the details are published later. For instance this alleged poisoned syrup! I'm at a total loss for words on this one. Again; something just doesn't make sense.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:55 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
"kind of a unique guy"....very polite way of putting it! haahahaa

Old 11-22-2011, 08:55 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,998 times
This one looks like it would have all the makings for a made-for-tv movie.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:13 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
This one looks like it would have all the makings for a made-for-tv movie.
I doubt it. At least not yet. Hollywood is only interested in making movies about acts of extreme stupidity that result in death (e.g., Tredwell, McCandless). This kid at least had the intelligence to know when he was in trouble and called for help.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Wow! He was lucky to have that SOS/911 button with him.

Hats off to the State Troopers. They have a very difficult job to do.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I doubt it. At least not yet. Hollywood is only interested in making movies about acts of extreme stupidity that result in death (e.g., Tredwell, McCandless). This kid at least had the intelligence to know when he was in trouble and called for help.
You're probably right about the 'at least not yet' part but I'm sure there's a whole lot more to this story than meets the eye. Should be interesting to follow though.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Guys like him may "drift" into the wrong cabin, and when the owner's return, he may find himself missing!

Without toes, it may slow him down some as well. Once you have Frostbite, you are easley affected in the cold for getting frostbite in the same area that wasn't removed.

Besides, you don't prospect for gold in the dead of winter, you leave. Since he has no claim that is his there, he breaks into other cabins and steals their supplies. Hope someone presses charges on him.

As for "Into the wild", there is a number of cases out that way of people camping out there and pretending they are "Experts" on McCandless. One nut case lives in his Pickup for the last bunch of years out the stampede trail, but goes away when it gets cold!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
Strange story. You gotta feel for the troopers. They have to deal with a lot of 'UNIQUE" people.

At 30 below and in the middle of the night.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:34 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Strange story. You gotta feel for the troopers. They have to deal with a lot of 'UNIQUE" people.

At 30 below and in the middle of the night.
That is a very cold dangerous drive on a snowmachine at those temps and puts the Rescuers at risk as well because someone else is stupid! Parts start to break in the extreme cold.

I have gone out in zero temps and then the mercury dropped to -40, but I always take the right gear with me, but won't start out in that cold unless someone is overdue or hurt. Most of the guys I know dress accordingly and some cases will stop and build a large fire and just stay put til the weather changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska