Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 AM

165 posts, read 553,216 times

Advertisements

I had to leave AK in July and move to Florida, and I already miss it. Never in my life has a place felt more like home than AK. Just wish my wife loved it as much as I do so we could move back again. I lived the dream once now all I have are the memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,702,041 times
Moving to Florida is jacked up. I visited there twice and don't really see a reason to go back. Sorry.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:59 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,292,926 times
Well if you really can't move back, you should take vacations up here when you can. But in the meantime you ought to find things about your new home to enjoy. Florida can be a lot of fun. What part do you live in? There are lots of islands, bays, and rivers to explore all over the state if you have a kayak or a small boat. The winter flocks of wading birds should be there now, and the lower water levels of the dry season mean more alligator sightings. Go swimming in a spring, or snorkeling with manatees or barracudas. Go fishing for snapper or grouper or even marlin. There are caves and woods and swamps to explore, and great biking trails. You've been through the worst of Florida weather and it should be getting better now.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:23 PM

89 posts, read 340,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
I had to leave AK in July and move to Florida, and I already miss it. Never in my life has a place felt more like home than AK. Just wish my wife loved it as much as I do so we could move back again. I lived the dream once now all I have are the memories.
I feel your pain!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:24 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,527,391 times
Winter flocks of wading birds.... I thought those were canadians.... No offense to them as we welcome them with open arms!

No low water yet. Been very wet lately for most of the state. Alligators and full size florida deer are getting eaten by pythons so be careful when wandering off the beaten path.

This is the time of year I really like down here. And there are natural wOnders all over the state.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:37 PM

159 posts, read 443,063 times
I wouldn't stay anywhere but Alaska or move out of Alaska for anyone!

Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 PM

165 posts, read 553,216 times
Don't get me wrong, Florida has it's perks. I love the beach, and the water, and it's nice to be warm, but it gets old like the cold too. Maybe this feeling will pass, but every other place I lived and left, I never missed like this. Just something about AK that really got to me.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 10,204 times
Hey DOUG 1980, I feel the same way about AK, I had to leave Oct.2010, and am hoping to get back "home" to AK this coming May 2012. Of all the places I have lived, AK has been the only one that I can't get out of my mind and heart. Went there for just one year and lasted for twelve and one half years. Will be back like I said in May, if all goes well.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:10 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,813,796 times
Doug....thats a real easy problem to fix, git rid of the wife.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:17 PM

20,294 posts, read 37,212,349 times
That's when the term, "snow birds" come into mind. A lot of the people who can afford it spend most of the winter down South in the lower-48, and the summers in Alaska. Some others have homes in Alaska, and in some warm place in the lower-48, too. Several of my coworkers do, and they go back and forth during the winter.

For some other living in the interior is a lot cheaper to close their homes during the winter months and spend them in the lower-48, specially now that heating fuel costs over $4.00 a gallon, because over $1,000 a month for heating fuel during the winter, plus electricity, amounts to a lot of cash.

Then Alaska is a place that one either hates it or loves it. A lot of military families split because while some of the members love it, some of the others hate the winters I have been extremely lucky in that I met my wife in Alaska, and she loves this place as much as I do. My kids do too, but it has proven too expensive for two of them, so they moved to the lower-48 several years ago. They come to visit with the grandkids, but are much happier over there because the lower cost of living allows them to have a lot of luxuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: