Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 09:30 PM

561 posts, read 438,070 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were in Wyoming last week at the beginning of our 5k+ mile road trip and we couldn't of been more welcomed. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there (we stayed in Gillette and moved through Buffalo then Cody along US16 before leaving for Montana). The scenery was great, especially the Big Horn National Forest! So, Wyomingites my wife and I say thank you for welcoming us patriotic Texans and please do everything you can to resist any cultural change.

Note to people who want to move to Wyoming... When these folks who live here tell you the place is windy, you need to take them seriously. It IS something you need to consider and is a legitimate point. In the fall and winter time I can see this being quite the thing to learn to deal with for anyone who moves in from out of state. Do NOT underestimate the winds here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 07:08 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
My wife and I were in Wyoming last week at the beginning of our 5k+ mile road trip and we couldn't of been more welcomed. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there (we stayed in Gillette and moved through Buffalo then Cody along US16 before leaving for Montana). The scenery was great, especially the Big Horn National Forest! So, Wyomingites my wife and I say thank you for welcoming us patriotic Texans and please do everything you can to resist any cultural change.

Note to people who want to move to Wyoming... When these folks who live here tell you the place is windy, you need to take them seriously. It IS something you need to consider and is a legitimate point. In the fall and winter time I can see this being quite the thing to learn to deal with for anyone who moves in from out of state. Do NOT underestimate the winds here.
Glad you had a good visit to WY. I think of WY as the red line in the sand - covid, lockdown, high crime and high tax refugees are running here because they're running away from their home states. If they F up this place where will we all run to next? There is nowhere else to go.

RE: wind. A big deal. Even bigger in the winter but I stood at my front door a couple of weeks ago watching my vehicle rock forwards and backwards in winds clocked at over 80 mph. Know a realtor who told me someone bought a house out the Southfork (just outside of Cody) who spent one windy night in their newly purchased home. Next morning went back to the realtor and told her to put it back on the market.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:41 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,896 times
https://youtu.be/aKhknsN8M9U

Old 06-23-2021, 08:56 AM

400 posts, read 454,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
know a realtor who told me someone bought a house out the southfork (just outside of cody) who spent one windy night in their newly purchased home. Next morning went back to the realtor and told her to put it back on the market.
hahahahahahahaha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-23-2021, 11:30 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
From a couple of years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wnG_iW9So

Old 06-23-2021, 11:53 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,840 times
Yessir.. but it is not every day and not the same all year long, and not the same all over the state. So don't get the impression that this is all the time, and is not e same all over WY. We have experienced more low wind days than high winds days. The winds in northern Indiana bothered me more because, while they are less overall, they never stop.

Time of year of the worst winds also varies depending on the part of WY. SE WY winds peak in Feb, making it worse due to the cold, plus being very strong overall there. But the Lander winds peak in May and are much less intense overall.

And not exclusive to anyone place..... We spent a lot of time on Hatteras Island NC for 10 years..... 200 yds to the Atlantic and 300 yds to the Pamlico Sound. Some days nice, some days quite 'breezy', with nothing to stop the winds; feeling the house shimmy and shake was pretty common. Then there were the nor'easters and hurricanes..... !

So it's all relative....

Old 06-23-2021, 03:24 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,896 times
your point being....?

Old 06-23-2021, 05:58 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
glad you had a good visit to wy. I think of wy as the red line in the sand - covid, lockdown, high crime and high tax refugees are running here because they're running away from their home states. If they f up this place where will we all run to next? There is nowhere else to go.

Re: Wind. A big deal. Even bigger in the winter but i stood at my front door a couple of weeks ago watching my vehicle rock forwards and backwards in winds clocked at over 80 mph. Know a realtor who told me someone bought a house out the southfork (just outside of cody) who spent one windy night in their newly purchased home. Next morning went back to the realtor and told her to put it back on the market.
:d:d:d

Old 06-23-2021, 05:59 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Better stick with a low profile car while driving and don't park on the side of the road

Old 06-23-2021, 09:55 PM

255 posts, read 262,733 times
[quote=Note to people who want to move to Wyoming... When these folks who live here tell you the place is windy, you need to take them seriously. It IS something you need to consider and is a legitimate point. In the fall and winter time I can see this being quite the thing to learn to deal with for anyone who moves in from out of state. Do NOT underestimate the winds here.[/QUOTE]

And the reason I will live in nothing but a log home in Wyoming! Thank the great Lord I have the choice. I've watched and wondered how in the world all those people lived in camp trailers throughout Wyoming winters and springs. We rented a brand new artic fox camper for 4 mths from Dec to April while building a log home. Swore I'd never do that again! I remember trying to get the metal roof done on the log home we have now and cursed like a sailor constantly throughout the whole ordeal. The soffits are also metal. I individually screwed every stinkin piece!
FWIW, this has been an extremely mild yr so far!

Falls and winters are easy. It's the damn springs that are the worst but I'm just about always outside. Majority of folks spend majority of time inside regardless of what they tell you.

Those that say, ah it's not so bad.....sit in the house on their ass majority of time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming