Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 04:24 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times

Advertisements

Saw this from Australia. Thought you Wyomingites would find this interesting.
https://amp.news.com.au/finance/econ...f8f491fb41c46c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 05:02 PM

60 posts, read 56,256 times
Yikes well there is the steel mine near South Pass City that closed in 1983. There was talk a few years ago about reopening it.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping_chic View Post
Yikes well there is the steel mine near South Pass City that closed in 1983. There was talk a few years ago about reopening it.
They are still talking about the goid Ole days of steel in Western PA.. was fifty years ago.. they should really move on. But the big parallel I see is the mention of going from a materials based economy to a service based economy, and the pitfalls (no pun intended). The "mining to dining" theme could actually be adopted by our state.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:34 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
The wealth creation of resource extraction, be it mining, timber, gas/oil, or ag, can't be matched by a pure service industry. Wherever there are strong service sectors, they are concurrent with other stronger, producers of wealth, like gov't in Wash DC, banking and trade in NYC, ports and transportation in LA and Chicago, etc. So that idea does not impress me. Most journalists who write about service economies don't really have a clue where the wealth comes from.

Well now, steel is still being made in the US. (I remember the collapse of the old steel mills in Western PA... I was working at a GE machine controls division that designed, made, and sold a lot steel mill controls.) Manufacturing is a good wealth builder that provides a lot of blue collar jobs.

Just looking at that article (which is interesting BTW, tnx)..... my son and I talk a lot about China and how it has changed in the last 30 years or so since Mao went to his much belated end. In no particular order:

- This type of article misses the mark in trying to name it as a pure political conflict... it is an economic conflict in the finest traditions of Rome versus Carthage, etc., etc.
- China has westernized and industrialized, just like Japan did in the latter 19th century. Just like Japan, that big change to modern industrialization needs to fed with raw materials. Japan saw and aimed for the same type of thing.... control of raw materials. These resource confrontations are just like those with Japan leading up to WWII.
- China has gone from Communist to a mix of Fascist and plain old Imperial China, which has a millenia long history of trying to dominate the Asain economy.. hence the long-term, universal dislike of the Chinese in all of Asia. (Fascist theory features state controlled means of production, not state owned means of production; that is the largest difference between the 2 ideologies.)
- The end of the 19th century saw a lot of foresight and prediction of a looming conflict with Japan. Plans for West Coast defense were being drawn up as early as 1900, and the thinking for a 2 ocean US Navy started before 1900l, and came from the analysis of that looming conflict. The Panama Canal's width was expanded on purpose so US battleships could go between oceans directly.

- Stay tuned.... Just like Japan and its pride and resentment of the West from the late 1900's to WWII, China is following right along in the same footsteps.

Trump saw this in big neon letters! Let's hope the Biden cabal keeps their nerve and keeps up our stake in this.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:54 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
can think of only two service industries that don't need manufactured raw material, one a prostitutes' the other a lecturer

Old 06-22-2021, 06:33 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
And the worst part about this is: it's the Millennial-Spawn who are now in charge of this; and given the unique-upbringing they 'endured'...it is entirely feasible (in my mind, at least) that THEY are the one's who will be ushering-in the Apocalypse, as soon as they finally realize they ARE'NT 'getting thier way'.

And it's not an 'American' phenomena (Millennial-behavior) anymore, but rather a WORLDWIDE situation, we are facing.

Look at all the marches, riots & civil 'unrest' everywhere...

...of all those making the most noise, causing the most physical-damage & destruction...which age-group do you see best-represented, on the videos & newsreals ?

Yup...this one's gonna be big...and once we have another 'Kent-State'...it ALL comes completely un-corked, because this time around, it won't be about race, color, creed, 'gender-discrimination' OR bickering about class-warfare...

...it'll be 'US against THEM' on ALL fronts.

It won't matter who'se occupying the WH...even if martial-law is enacted...

...this one is about 'Principalities & Powers'.

Every single damn aspect of it.

Anybody who does'nt see (or at least 'sense' it) is BLIND.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
can think of only two service industries that don't need manufactured raw material, one a prostitutes' the other a lecturer
No one is suggesting the end of the materials businesses, but it is a fact that the composition of Wyoming's economy is changing. The alternative is too wind up like Western PA, where there is little left but some houses selling for under 10,000 USD. At least half a dozen on this forum have used the old boom/bust hyperbole. What are we in now if it is always boom or bust? The answer is neither. I remember some of the jokes about Clinton's Economy (not too mention his sexual perversions). Bill Clinton created 3 million jobs... in the Peace Corps. Or, Dad lost his union defense job at Lockheed and mom took care of the kids. Now, both work at Walmart and the folks in Washington are telling us we are better off...

Old 06-22-2021, 11:33 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
I should like to suggest that Wyoming is in neither 'boom' OR 'bust'...but rather stuck in 'malaise-mode'...very similar to that which my parents endured (while I was a little-one) during the Carter-administration...

...or perhaps the entire nation is literally stuck in a 'Sargasso-Sea' type of situation...neither improving, nor 'devolving' into worse situation...

...as of YET.

Old 06-22-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
I should like to suggest that Wyoming is in neither 'boom' OR 'bust'...but rather stuck in 'malaise-mode'...very similar to that which my parents endured (while I was a little-one) during the Carter-administration...

...or perhaps the entire nation is literally stuck in a 'Sargasso-Sea' type of situation...neither improving, nor 'devolving' into worse situation...

...as of YET.
You must have been very young to think this economy is comparable.. Energy crisis, 15% mortgages, 52 hostages in Tehran... It was bad...and believe it or not, it was a Californian, who saved the day.

Old 06-22-2021, 01:41 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
And the worst part about this is: it's the Millennial-Spawn who are now in charge of this; and given the unique-upbringing they 'endured'...it is entirely feasible (in my mind, at least) that THEY are the one's who will be ushering-in the Apocalypse, as soon as they finally realize they ARE'NT 'getting thier way'.

And it's not an 'American' phenomena (Millennial-behavior) anymore, but rather a WORLDWIDE situation, we are facing.

Look at all the marches, riots & civil 'unrest' everywhere...

...of all those making the most noise, causing the most physical-damage & destruction...which age-group do you see best-represented, on the videos & newsreals ?

Yup...this one's gonna be big...and once we have another 'Kent-State'...it ALL comes completely un-corked, because this time around, it won't be about race, color, creed, 'gender-discrimination' OR bickering about class-warfare...

...it'll be 'US against THEM' on ALL fronts.

It won't matter who'se occupying the WH...even if martial-law is enacted...

...this one is about 'Principalities & Powers'.

Every single damn aspect of it.

Anybody who does'nt see (or at least 'sense' it) is BLIND.
What the hell did I just read?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming