Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 08:57 AM

12,990 posts, read 9,516,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Always carry more than one form of payment...especially when travelling. Electronic gadgetry can fail for multiple reasons at any time. Common sense!
It's also a good idea to carry two credit cards from different accounts. For example, you might have stayed in a hotel for a couple of days and upon checking out, find out that your Visa has been compromised and you can't pay the $500 bill. Having another card will lessen the probability of that happening. It doesn't happen often, but my credit card has been compromised three or four times over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 10:45 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,424,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
I would too! Not sure what you mean by 'taking cash costing money'... do you mean the effort to count it, do accounting, etc?
Yes, someone has to count it and deposit it, or pay to have it picked up.. and then there are security costs and risks of having cash around, as well as problems with counterfeiters.

Old 05-29-2021, 01:42 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,404,014 times
Quote:
Interesting... nobody messes with that anymore in this region... the southern Appalachians. The big truck stops sometimes show cash vs credit prices show on their big signs by the highway, but when I go to get diesel at the auto pumps for my P/U, it is almost always the cash price regardless. So this practice has fallen out of use here.
Really? I lived in No GA mountains for many years. It was always that way or you had to buy a Wally card, join Ingles or Kroger to get a discount. In North GA stations https://www.gasbuddy.com/station/11585 it shows a dime difference. That's pretty much standard. Some of the truck stops are HIGHER priced than just local stations.J

Just looking now at Wyoming https://www.gasbuddy.com/gasprices/wyoming
and the least expensive gas is in Newcastle at 2.579/gal CASH PRICE and shows a nickel difference.

In Alaska - diesel is TWENTY TO THIRTY CENTS/gal LOWER than gas. Which actually makes sense considering that it doesn't need as much refining and the Fed tax is lower.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:27 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Really? I lived in No GA mountains for many years. It was always that way or you had to buy a Wally card, join Ingles or Kroger to get a discount. In North GA stations https://www.gasbuddy.com/station/11585 it shows a dime difference. That's pretty much standard. Some of the truck stops are HIGHER priced than just local stations.J

Just looking now at Wyoming https://www.gasbuddy.com/gasprices/wyoming
and the least expensive gas is in Newcastle at 2.579/gal CASH PRICE and shows a nickel difference.

In Alaska - diesel is TWENTY TO THIRTY CENTS/gal LOWER than gas. Which actually makes sense considering that it doesn't need as much refining and the Fed tax is lower.
Got it.. mighta been the case then.. dunno how long ago you lived in NoGA? But I don't find it much around here anymore.... western VA and WV...the price at the pump usually is the cash price.

And the stations having higher prices by the interstate have been like that a lot everywhere. Found a 10-15 difference in WY just last month just going off the interstate.

Diesel used to always be lower in summer and higher in winter... more #1 and some additives in winter for anti-jelling. When the ultra low diesel was mandated in 2006-2007, then diesel jumped up and has stayed up.

Pretty interesting that it is so much lower in AK. Are you sure that was for on-road diesel? And taxes play a big part.. some states seem to really hike the diesel fuel taxes. In PA, they charge 16.5 cents more per gallon for on-road diesel: 74.1 vs. 57.6 cents AK only charges 9 cents per gallon for both, and I think 8 cents of that is the Federal excise tax..

Old 06-01-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Got it.. mighta been the case then.. dunno how long ago you lived in NoGA? But I don't find it much around here anymore.... western VA and WV...the price at the pump usually is the cash price.

Moved home to Canada a year ago last May. My son Brett (exwyocowboy) had just completed selling all the properties in the USofA before he died last month. He said the prices were crazy. In Canada the prices are fixed so you buy by brand name and don't have to run around to various stations looking for a better price. Today's price is 132.4 ltr = $5.03CAD or $4.1USD/gal

Quote:
d higher in winter... more #1 and some additives in winter for anti-jelling. When the ultra low diesel was mandated in 2006-2007, then diesel jumped up and has stayed up.

Pretty interesting that it is so much lower in AK. Are you sure that was for on-road diesel? And taxes play a big part.. some states seem to really hike the diesel fuel taxes. In PA, they charge 16.5 cents more per gallon for on-road diesel: 74.1 vs. 57.6 cents AK only charges 9 cents per gallon for both, and I think 8 cents of that is the Federal excise tax..

Fed tax on gas is 18.4 cents and diesel is 24.4 cents - state taxes vary. For decades GA had the lowest taxes and WY was second. That all changed with the blended fuels. Haven't seen anyone mixing D1 with D2 in a long time. Mostly they just mix in the Power Service at the tank farm right before delivery.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=10&t=10

Costco is Anchorage doesn't sell off-road or red dye. You can get in a lot of IRS trouble for using off road in otr trucks. It's ok to use it in farm tractors and boats - but don't ever get caught like what happens in MT. The State Troopers will dip your tanks at weigh stations and horse events.

Old 06-01-2021, 05:19 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,294,158 times
we do a 50-50 #1 and #2 blend in the winter time on our bulk fuel here at the ranch. Station have signs that they start blending at a certain date usually early winter. and see signs lot of station in winter that the fuel is winterized and blended. ONE station IN Gillette HAS #1 AND #2 DIFFERINT HOSES BUT SAME PUMP so you can pump how much of each you want in 2 transactions .

Old 06-01-2021, 05:37 PM

561 posts, read 438,070 times
Quote:
My son Brett (exwyocowboy) had just completed selling all the properties in the USofA before he died last month. He said the prices were crazy. In Canada the prices are fixed so you buy by brand name and don't have to run around to various stations looking for a better price. Today's price is 132.4 ltr = $5.03CAD or $4.1USD/gal.
Oh man, exwyocowboy passed away? He and I were messaging back and forth about ID, so that would explain the no reply back. That’s sad. My condolences for your and our loss.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:06 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Oh man, exwyocowboy passed away? He and I were messaging back and forth about ID, so that would explain the no reply back. That’s sad. My condolences for your and our loss.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Thank you. He's gone to meet his brothers and sisters. He was the last of my seven children. He leaves two sons (out of seven) and me.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:37 AM

561 posts, read 438,070 times
Quote:
Thank you. He's gone to meet his brothers and sisters. He was the last of my seven children. He leaves two sons (out of seven) and me.
Wow 7 kids, that must of been a full house. It's posts like these that really make one realize how short life is. I hope they all lived happy lives while on this planet.

Sorry to derail the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming