Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 11,075 times

Advertisements

Hi I´m looking for a (free) writing site where i can submit writing and get critique etc. I just want to find a place where I can improve my writing on the internet without having to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 04:42 PM

15 posts, read 27,824 times
Cool hi... i really can spell and puncuate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckula View Post
Hi I´m looking for a (free) writing site where i can submit writing and get critique etc. I just want to find a place where I can improve my writing on the internet without having to pay.
.... if you will pardon the internet language.. it takes too long to cap and spell...lol... there are 2 good ones... Demand and i will have to get back to you on the other one, which is on my other computer. it is a very comprehensive site and you can even get even get your work picked up and receive a nominal fee, as its a content site and advertisers often go there so they can build websites for their ads.. big DEMAND (pun not even intended)....for writing.. they want you to write about 300-500 words, i believe and not to use words or concepts that can't be understood by a 5th grader.. but its so comprehensive that you can do many things on it.. i rarelly use it, cause there i s so much stuff to do on the site that i get caught up all day... check it out.. people review your work if you go to that area of the site...if i remember.. maybe, i will start using it again myself..see ya there!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:25 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
The huge absolutewrite forums. There's a big forum area where you can submit your work for critiqueing.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks for your help chiroptera
and GEMYSTERY who im going to pm now re that other site. Then will post it here!

Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I have to tell you. I spent some time on a few of those, and found they were a gigantic waste of time. Typically, while you can get some good insight, you have to wade through the nonsensical posts of halfwits, people whose sole motivation is to trash other writers. With my first novel, I can't tell you how much input I got that began, "Well, I'm a sci-fi/fantasy person. I really don't have any interest in your genre, but this is what I think..."

What you need to have are readers who are sensitive to what you're trying to achieve with your work, are willing to read in depth, and able to provide straightforward and diplomatic input. The very act of doing this is defeated by sitting at a computer monitor without benefit of notes.

To get this degree of input, you are far, far better off to find a critique group in your own area populated with good, experienced writers. Not some bunch of anonymous yahoos who glance over your opus, and simply write, "It sux."

Old 09-11-2009, 01:27 PM

From what Ive seen of the absolute writers site it seems people offer solid feedback to each other. But yes- joining a group in my area is something I should really do.

also helium is the writing site Gem described which Im checking out now.

Last edited by Duckula; 09-11-2009 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: adding link

Old 09-12-2009, 07:37 AM

15 posts, read 27,824 times
quote=Duckula;10713276]From what Ive seen of the absolute writers site it seems people offer solid feedback to each other. (QUOTE).............so does anyone have a good idea how to go about finding local groups..my lit teacher invited me to one in 05... but, being basically, shy, i had a hard time fitting in.. and i just couldn't figure out when to pull out my poetry.. in between the more senior members grantwriting and the latest 1/2 chapter.. then they all caught up on each others' personal lives.. while mildly entertaining.. i did not feel qualified to participate.. and then i had to come up with 13.00 for a nice greek meal.. i am in the houston area..~gemystery~

Old 09-14-2009, 06:04 PM

437 posts, read 1,071,353 times
Absolute Write Water Cooler is about the best online option.

Local groups - if you can find one with people who know what they're doing - can be great.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:18 PM

620 posts, read 1,771,819 times
Echoing the posters who have mentioned Absolute Write. I really enjoy the forums. By the way, the site's not working for me right now, but I hope it is for others. I'd hate for anything to happen to AW.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:50 AM

239 posts, read 612,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckula View Post
From what Ive seen of the absolute writers site it seems people offer solid feedback to each other. But yes- joining a group in my area is something I should really do.

also helium is the writing site Gem described which Im checking out now.

I'm on Helium and I enjoy it. Critiques can be slow on the boards (you might only get 2 or 3 responses), but they do have a good mentoring program. The only hitch: unless you develop friendships outside the site, you'll only be able to have Helium-published work critiqued. Publishing other work on the boards might be seen as self-promotion.
Still, it's fun and the competition gets you motivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing