Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2024, 09:40 PM

409 posts, read 292,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
"Give me the tea or T"..........I don't know - what? I had to have that explained to me.

"Honestly" - So unless you say 'honestly' as the first word in your sentence, all your other sentences that didn't start with honestly were a lie? Sort of like Simon Says I guess.

It's tea, as in "spill the tea." But that doesn't bother me as much as "goss" for gossip.

Also tired of "honestly."

Getting very tired of "merch" for merchandise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 07:52 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Text speak used in forums or email, like
U for you
R for are

UR2 ob2222

(obtwos, of course!)

Old 02-03-2024, 08:49 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,442,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Too funny when I think of it now but when I heard it/and saw it in print form I was much younger and slightly naive so the word was closer to horses [than whores].
Funny thing is I can't stand the phrase "Too Funny", or "Too Cute".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Recently, I heard a body language expert say that anytime someone starts a sentence with "To be honest...", that's an indicator that what they're about to say is probably not going to be truthful.
To be frank, the body language experts acknowledge it really does depend on baseline and context. I love to start sentences with "To be frank" or 'to be earnest'. It reminds me of two of my favorite characters/actors Frank Burns from M.A.S.H. and Earnest Borgnine. So in my case starting a sentence like that brings me internal humor but not deceit.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:57 AM

19,504 posts, read 9,530,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Funny thing is I can't stand the phrase "Too Funny", or "Too Cute".

To be frank, the body language experts acknowledge it really does depend on baseline and context. I love to start sentences with "To be frank" or 'to be earnest'. It reminds me of two of my favorite characters/actors Frank Burns from M.A.S.H. and Earnest Borgnine. So in my case starting a sentence like that brings me internal humor but not deceit.
Ha, too bad, so sad. Not! How’s that?

Old 02-04-2024, 09:26 AM

88,532 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
"Give me the tea or T"..........I don't know - what? I had to have that explained to me.

"Honestly" - So unless you say 'honestly' as the first word in your sentence, all your other sentences that didn't start with honestly were a lie? Sort of like Simon Says I guess.
Yup. My daughter explained that one. Tea = gossip.

Old 02-04-2024, 10:33 AM

2,052 posts, read 996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post

"Surely you can't be serious!"
"Don't call me Shirley."

"Roger, Roger." LOL

Old 02-04-2024, 09:24 PM

8,168 posts, read 6,920,059 times
"Veggies". I have no idea why this bothers me.

And when people call Reese's peanut butter cups "ReeSees"

I think Reese's came up with the "pieces" just so people would start pronouncing the name properly.
But no....

"ReeSee's Peesees."

Old 02-05-2024, 10:39 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

I think Reese's came up with the "pieces" just so people would start pronouncing the name properly.
But no....

"ReeSee's Peesees."
And sammie.

https://diannej.com/2013/lets-take-t...ut-of-recipes/

Old 02-05-2024, 04:54 PM

88,532 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

But no....

"ReeSee's Peesees."
I got confused over "Shari's Berries". It sounds awkward to me, as if someone is trying to rhyme but it doesn't quite work.

Then it occurred to me one day that with some regional accents it probably DOES rhyme!

I am not sure I've heard "ReeSees". That would make me wince.

My teeth-grinder is people who say "The World Trade Centers". One of my coworkers always said that--AND WE WORKED THERE. FOR THE AGENCY THAT OWNED IT.

Old 02-05-2024, 07:09 PM

1,824 posts, read 797,831 times
Should of
Could of
GAH! It is:

Should HAVE
Could HAVE

Also, wth is "irregardless"????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing