Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What US city is the most like Tokyo?
New York City 50 64.10%
Los Angeles 11 14.10%
San Francisco 12 15.38%
Seattle 11 14.10%
Chicago 1 1.28%
Detroit 1 1.28%
Dallas 0 0%
Houston 0 0%
San Diego 0 0%
Atlanta 5 6.41%
Miami 0 0%
Denver 2 2.56%
DC 0 0%
Other (please mention) 6 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 04:48 PM

672 posts, read 504,834 times

Advertisements

The only one that belong here at Los Angeles and New York. Perhaps San Francisco as well.

Not sure why most of the others were included. Denver and Detroit… like really!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 03:16 PM

6,573 posts, read 12,079,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
Honestly, none. I have lived in Tokyo for 8+ years now, and every time I go back to the States, I am never reminded me of anything "Japanese". I suppose, out of its size, NYC, but that misrepresents reality.

Regarding climate, I would image Tokyo would be similar to a Sunbelt city in terms of hotter summers, mild winters, wetness, lack of snow, and humidity.

Architecturally, any modern building can be transplanted from city A to city B, and you wouldn't even know it. One thing about Tokyo about I have noticed, is that many houses are custom-designed. They tend to be quite abstract, boxy, minimalistic. When I visited a friend in Seattle, his house was amazingly similar, but that's just an anecdote. Few people have yards in Tokyo.

Layout? At best Boston, or any city built before the car.

Modernity? Well, Tokyo was bombed during WW2 more or less, and haphazardly sewn back together, judging by its streets, alleys, and housing stock.

Efficiency? Hm, hard to say. The public transportation is efficient, and I'm only familiar with my hometown Chicago. I find that the biggest differences in "efficiency" isn't the city-level, but rather through apps, data processing, and so forth between the US and Japan.

Both are polite and respectful, though people mind their business more in Japan compared to Americans. Take that for what you wish.

This is just my anecdotes and experiences.
Actually regarding climate, it actually doesn't have that much of a "lack of snow". You're almost guaranteed at least one day/night of snowfall per winter.

NYC in recent years has built a lot of supertalls, especially around Central Park and even one in Brooklyn so it now looks like multiple skylines throughout its boroughs rather than a singular skyline of Manhattan with classic skycrapers like in the past. Of course it has the best public transit system in the pack, with DC in second.

Layout can be more comparable to Los Angeles as far as the dense sprawl in a basin located between mountains and ocean, and with their expanded Metro system.

Efficiency can be compared to Miami while Florida as a whole can be compared to Japan as a whole with it's well paved roads, the turnpike system, and the Brightline trains. Also with customer service and everything seeming to be "perfect".

Meanwhile Boston and San Diego can be compared for safety/low crime rates.

The only thing Atlanta has in common is the climate somewhat, and as you mentioned the history of it being destroyed by a war and having to be rebuilt, and the relatively low cost of living. Never thought Tokyo/Japan would be cheap but it actually is now. It's currently not even in the top 50 of the most expensive cities while the other US cities including Atlanta are. Otherwise it's the exact opposite, the "anti-Tokyo".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
The only one that belong here at Los Angeles and New York. Perhaps San Francisco as well.

Not sure why most of the others were included. Denver and Detroit… like really!?
Detroit actually got one vote. I'm surprised Miami and DC didn't get any, especially for being a multiple choice poll.

Otherwise NYC and then LA in that order with a huge gap between the two, and then a little SF and Seattle.

Old 04-22-2024, 03:20 PM

1,237 posts, read 949,776 times
New York City

Old 04-22-2024, 05:38 PM

4,327 posts, read 6,294,834 times
It's really a combination of cities:

-Vertical feel, crowds, public transport, financial hub, plethora of world class restaurants - NYC
-Sprawl - LA
-Asian feel - SF
-Climate and Government - DC

Old 04-23-2024, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
It's really a combination of cities:

-Vertical feel, crowds, public transport, financial hub, plethora of world class restaurants - NYC
-Sprawl - LA
-Asian feel - SF
-Climate and Government - DC
That's a good assessment. I'd also add Seattle for also the Asian feel and the scenery (Mount Rainier in the backdrop similar to Mount Fuji, and tall coniferous trees outside the urban areas). Also with DC, it goes along with climate but have to mention the cherry blossoms.

Old 04-23-2024, 03:43 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,865,152 times
Tokyo's summers are very humid and not comparable to DC in my opinion. The summer "temperatures" are comparable to here in Atlanta, but the humidity is much higher. People tend to overestimate the humidity in places like DC and Atlanta.

When temps here are 90-92 degrees in the summer, humidity is usually like 40-50%
This is humid and gives a heat index of like 95-100 degrees frequently

However in Japan these same temperatures often come with humidity of 70-75% and gives heat indexes of 110+

Realistically I would say the winter is similar to DC (somewhat cooler than Atlanta) while the summer is even more humid than places like New Orleans or Tampa

Old 04-24-2024, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Tokyo's summers are very humid and not comparable to DC in my opinion. The summer "temperatures" are comparable to here in Atlanta, but the humidity is much higher. People tend to overestimate the humidity in places like DC and Atlanta.

When temps here are 90-92 degrees in the summer, humidity is usually like 40-50%
This is humid and gives a heat index of like 95-100 degrees frequently

However in Japan these same temperatures often come with humidity of 70-75% and gives heat indexes of 110+

Realistically I would say the winter is similar to DC (somewhat cooler than Atlanta) while the summer is even more humid than places like New Orleans or Tampa
I was going to say that the summers are like Jacksonville or somewhere in Northern Florida, but the winters are actually warmer temperature-wise than Atlanta. In Tokyo it rarely gets below freezing while Atlanta gets down to the teens sometimes but almost never snows. Tokyo actually gets at least one or two snowfall days per winter normally. It also has more consistent temperatures as it stays in the 40's or 50's for the highs and rarely has the unseasonal warm spring-like temps like Atlanta. In ATL it's usually warm while it rains, but the cold air mass after the rain storm is dry and clear so that's why it rarely snows.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:09 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,865,152 times
I was looking into something similar in another thread and decided include Tokyo summers in the mix. These charts are showing days where the heat index was over 38c/100f during the past five years for different cities. While DC has some hot days it is not comparable to Tokyo based on the data

Spoiler

Old 04-28-2024, 06:06 AM

10,757 posts, read 23,858,233 times
I visualize Tokyo as a hybrid mix of Seattle, LA, and NYC. A Pacific Rim and mountain setting like Seattle, a multi nodal city like LA, and extreme density like NYC.

Old 04-28-2024, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I was looking into something similar in another thread and decided include Tokyo summers in the mix. These charts are showing days where the heat index was over 38c/100f during the past five years for different cities. While DC has some hot days it is not comparable to Tokyo based on the data
I was surprised to see how low the numbers were from Atlanta and even some of the Florida cities, and how high Tokyo was. It might even be more comparable to New Orleans or Houston for the sweltering heat/humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I visualize Tokyo as a hybrid mix of Seattle, LA, and NYC. A Pacific Rim and mountain setting like Seattle, a multi nodal city like LA, and extreme density like NYC.
LA also has the Pacific Rim and mountain setting. It is definitely multi nodal with multiple "cities within a city" and sprawl, a very dense sprawl that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World