Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 10:30 AM

665 posts, read 613,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
As an engineer, I’d like to know the answer to that as well.
It though Australia was pretty good for engineers especially civil engineers as there is alot of cranes in Sydney and they're expanding the public transit systems in both Melbourne and Subway. I'm in the process of getting my migration assessment from Engineers Australia right now.

Is there something I need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Pitt,

Looks like I've found your thread. If US is in your plans based on your experiences then Europe is probably the best. Just look for the countries where that are the engine of the EU like Germany and France. The Scandinavian countries might be good as well. You'll have to do your research.

Keep in mind you'll paying for filing your US taxes and may have to pay taxes if you make too much money overseas.
Foreign earned income exclusion - Wikipedia

Old 11-09-2017, 12:03 PM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I have been trying to do this since 2015 for my area, the pay is far to paltry in the fed govt to move for it, but if I could get say a GS9 roll in my town then combined with my wifes income and our family support it would be a good gig. But moving for it does not make sense and I know thats a detriment.
High-paying private industry jobs don’t often have job security. They can lay you off for any reason (no reason). In the Federal Government, you have to take a pay cut initially, but you can make good money if you stick with it and are ambitious enough to reach higher management positions. The jobs are also more secure. No hire and fire mentality.

Either way, you have to pick your poison. That’s life.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
In China engineers have a higher status than medical doctors and lawyers etc., but lower than government officials.

Some engineers work for large state-owned corporations and there is a possibility to become "officials". For example, the former president of China Hu Jintao was an engineer, so was the former premier Wen Jiabao.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:36 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,516,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
It though Australia was pretty good for engineers especially civil engineers as there is alot of cranes in Sydney and they're expanding the public transit systems in both Melbourne and Subway. I'm in the process of getting my migration assessment from Engineers Australia right now.

Is there something I need to know?
My brother is a senior mechanical engineer who is currently working on one of the new infrastructure projects in Sydney. Yes, the work will go on for years unless there is a massive collapse in property prices. The state government is heavily in the black because of the revenue from realestate sales. Basically the median house price is in US dollars, about $800k and many nice houses cost $3 million or up. On a median house the state tax is probably about $50k.
However, my brother works on contracat and he has never had a lot of job security. He has had periods of commuting to Queensland and even Western Australia. The biggest companies are forever being taken over and restructuring.
But if you intend to live in Sydney you need to look long and hard at whether you can afford the housing costs and the high cost of living in general.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:53 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

I suppose the pay in Germany probably is not all that either though .....
They pay in Germany can be pretty good but I don't think your chances of successfully landing a job will be all that high with foreign credentials only and limited knowledge of German.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:18 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times
Look for the right company, not the right country. I've worked for several companies during my career. At a couple of them I didn't worry at all about job security, but others were literally a month by month existence. Do some reading, ask around, etc. All companies are not blood thirsty cutthroats, although there are more than enough of that sort around.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China engineers have a higher status than medical doctors and lawyers etc., but lower than government officials.

Some engineers work for large state-owned corporations and there is a possibility to become "officials". For example, the former president of China Hu Jintao was an engineer, so was the former premier Wen Jiabao.
Good to know.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
My brother is a senior mechanical engineer who is currently working on one of the new infrastructure projects in Sydney. Yes, the work will go on for years unless there is a massive collapse in property prices. The state government is heavily in the black because of the revenue from realestate sales. Basically the median house price is in US dollars, about $800k and many nice houses cost $3 million or up. On a median house the state tax is probably about $50k.
However, my brother works on contracat and he has never had a lot of job security. He has had periods of commuting to Queensland and even Western Australia. The biggest companies are forever being taken over and restructuring.
But if you intend to live in Sydney you need to look long and hard at whether you can afford the housing costs and the high cost of living in general.
What I highlighted in red is good to know. I was wondering why there was a high demand for engineers (especially civil engineers) a few months ago when I began looking into going to Australia. Hopefully, the housing prices don't go too high otherwise it will be like a huge bubble when it bursts. From doing my research I think Melbourne would be a good starting point for me and if it didn't work out I could always go to Sydney.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:42 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
High-paying private industry jobs don’t often have job security. They can lay you off for any reason (no reason). In the Federal Government, you have to take a pay cut initially, but you can make good money if you stick with it and are ambitious enough to reach higher management positions. The jobs are also more secure. No hire and fire mentality.

Either way, you have to pick your poison. That’s life.
I put GS5 as the lowest pay accepted to see if I would get an interview and nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World