Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Mexico City 11 16.67%
New York City 55 83.33%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 03:28 PM

801 posts, read 1,513,534 times

Advertisements

Mexico City. Seems like a lot of people in this thread haven't even visited Mexico City yet seem to know everything about it. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 03:30 PM

801 posts, read 1,513,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossifier2017 View Post
New York City all the way. Mexico City is beautiful and has perfect weather but New York is better overall. For a start, the pollution in Mexico City is much worse than New York City. The Mexicans are very friendly but the Americans are even friendlier. Mexico City apparently has no central heating or air conditioning which can make it feel indoors either way too hot or way too cold. New York has both. New York has snow for snow lovers and real winters. New York has hotter summers. New York gets about the same sunshine hours so either or for that. Mexico City does not have four seasons. New York does, and the crime is pretty bad in both cities but slightly worse in Mexico City. So I pick New York.
Americans are not friendlier than Mexicans. The weather in Mexico City is almost always temperate which means there's no need for AC or heating, but most newer buildings do include it.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:14 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Mexico City. Seems like a lot of people in this thread haven't even visited Mexico City yet seem to know everything about it. Lol.
I've got to admit I've been surprised by what I've seen of Mexico City so far, just going by online sources.

A lot of this, especially the build form of the city outside of the slums, is better than I'd expected.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
NYC, based on my own personal biases.

However, I think Mexico City is way underrated as a travel destination and widely misunderstood. I think many assume it is just some 3rd world hole when it is a true international city. I would really like to visit. I hear it is well worth it from everyone I know who has been there.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:07 AM

531 posts, read 594,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
I've not been to Mexico City, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has better infrastructure than New York.
So what are people’s conclusions on how the infrastructure of the two cities compare?

Old 10-29-2017, 09:09 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,037 times
Mexico City is beautiful in many areas; has excellent culture, entertainment and food; and has a good infrastructure. It is certainly no hole in the ground.

That said, I would rather live in NYC because it is tremendously wealthier, cosmopolitan, and has more to offer.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:59 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
So what are people’s conclusions on how the infrastructure of the two cities compare?
Bearing in mind political and socioeconomic discrepancies, it's a much closer comparison than I'd expected.

New York's public realm infrastructure is uniformly mediocre to bad, excluding a handful of very new developments, whereas Mexico City has more variance. It has many well-developed areas that approach European standards, areas that are similar to New York and slum areas with little to no infrastructure.

It has very decent transit and an international airport that has a few problems, yet scores higher than LGA on customer rankings. The tap water is not drinkable. Though, to be frank, I wouldn't drink the tap water in New York either. I can't speak of other public utilities.

Overall, New York has better infrastructure, but the fact that it's comparable to this degree should be considered embarrassing.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:04 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
New York City, although Mexico City was where I first saw a bidet.

I've been to both and liked Mexico City a lot (been several times), but NYC is, as has been said, New York City.

As far as infrastructure, NYC. Mexico City has some nice areas, but overall it is still Mexico.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:00 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Most people probably assume that Mexico City is just a larger version of Ciudad Juarez or Tijuana lol. Judging by many comments here that seems to be the case

Old 10-30-2017, 12:03 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
NYC, based on my own personal biases.

However, I think Mexico City is way underrated as a travel destination and widely misunderstood. I think many assume it is just some 3rd world hole when it is a true international city. I would really like to visit. I hear it is well worth it from everyone I know who has been there.
I've heard nothing but good things about Mexico City from those who traveled there. Seems like most people are expecting this from Mexico City:

Not this:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World