Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is your preference?
Berlin 16 34.78%
Montreal 21 45.65%
Santiago 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 03:55 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times

Advertisements

Berlin, Montreal, or Santiago?

Which city do you like more? Which city would you rather visit? Which city would you rather live in?

I'll share sets of pictures (by means of posting their links) at a later date for all three cities. Santiago in Chile, to those that may be wondering which one.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-18-2017 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 09:34 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Interesting trio.

Santiago: Was somewhat underwhelmed on visit here to city itself, perhaps because expectations were higher, and did not have much time. Fantastic natural location, with day trip ability to one of the World's elite wine regions, beautiful coastline/coastal town (Valpo), and even proximity to the Andes high peaks, the highest section of mountains outside of Himalayas on earth (basically THE base town for Aconcagua). Uncomfortably hot when we were there in middle of day January, but generally a terrific climate. Best metro system/highway system I've seen in L.A. Core not as walkable as I would like (at least my impression) and not as historically preserved as many other L.A. major cities. Good business climate it seems though, and still offering a fair amount. Need to go back and spend more time. I want to learn Spanish at some point (and Madarin, but Spanish most), and I think among cities I would live in to immerse in language/culture, Santiago would be at top of short list.

Montreal: Very limited trip here (I've only spent one day in each of these three) as well, but I like what I see. Due to combo of COL and proximity to states and relative security, it might be the place I'd move first if somehow forced out of the states. Dynamic, albeit small, historic center, fantastic arts and nightlife scene, very diverse, interesting modern infrastructure, beautiful parks, and the best proximity to quality mountains ratio of any major city in the eastern half of the continent. Planning to go back here for a long weekend in the fall sometime. If someone wants to backpack or go abroad/exotic experience without traveling far and still feeling secure, highly recommended. If there's a weakness though, probably that Montreal, while having certain charms of Europe, is not exactly like Europe by any stretch. People expecting such will be disappointed. Metro service is more limited than one would expect.

Berlin: Imposing initially, but then gradually relaxes you in. Great budget option for both food (Street Food!) and rent, among major cities in Western Europe the very best for this perhaps. Uber trendy/hipster. Has a grunge feel in places, but also historic in some, and sleek/modern/dynamic in others. Endless array of acclaimed high culture/events. Good proximity to all 4 corners of Europe pretty much. Due to price point and quality, probably the Euroelancity I would choose to live in (I voted Berlin BTW). One weakness perhaps would be Weather for those who don't like constant cool/grey, and also that it's
Somewhat removed from more significant scenery. That being said though, I think other parts make up for it. I vote Berlin, for both the one I liked most and one I'd live in (barring American roots of course). Just a very dynamic place, but at the same time without so much pretense.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:56 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,164 times
Santiago is my favorite city in South America. Clean, busy, great weather, beautiful location, and tons to do. And Chileans are amazing people.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:58 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
I voted Santiago due to the best wine, the best climate, the best views (Mountains), best looking women, the cheapest, and I halfway speak Spanish and don't German or French.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Santiago due to scenery, climate and culture. One of the best if not the best city for living in Latin America.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Santiago is on my bucket list of places to see.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:18 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
If I'm being honest, IMO, I don't know if there's one specific thing about Santiago that is all that spectacular (city itself, like historic type attractions and the like), but, it's on my list to get back to because hiking to the top of Aconcagua is very high on my bucket list. I'm sure if I spent a few days there before after, I'd probably find a number of interesting things to do as well.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:08 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Santiago is a beautiful city but probably does not even make it to the top 10 best cities on the continent. For living it is the best out of the three because its climate is a million times better than either Berlin or Montreal, but I think the other two are much better for visiting. Montreal seems like a good place for a visit but a bad place to live, whereas Santiago is the opposite

Old 09-19-2017, 10:27 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Santiago is a beautiful city but probably does not even make it to the top 10 best cities on the continent. For living it is the best out of the three because its climate is a million times better than either Berlin or Montreal, but I think the other two are much better for visiting. Montreal seems like a good place for a visit but a bad place to live, whereas Santiago is the opposite
A bad place to live? I bet there are waaaay more Chilenos living in Montreal than the other way around. lol

Old 09-19-2017, 10:33 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
A bad place to live? I bet there are waaaay more Chilenos living in Montreal than the other way around. lol
I know it has a high HDI, but as someone who grew up in a city with a similar climate, it becomes a living nightmare to have to spend an entire year in such a place. Especially if you are someone like me who has a history of sinus and bronchitis problems. I'd much rather live in Santiago, I'm sure my health will thank me for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World