Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,765,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
If you live in a neutral climate like Washington DC or Paris which is not great but not bad either, you will not really know the importance of having a good climate. But if you move to a place like Moscow or Winnipeg with brutally cold winters, and endless clouds, it is going to have a big effect on your wellbeing
DC and Paris have ideal weather, four seasons and nothing too extreme. But yes I agree with you. I lived in Toronto for 8 years and last winter in France was the first normal winter I had for a long time. In March, you actually don't have to be dressed like a bear any more and there is no sub zero days, or snowstorms, just spring and flowers. And it is one of the cold part of France (-8C on some days, with a couple of days of snow). I am like wow, this is what March should be like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 11:21 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,262,587 times
Crime and traffic hurt American cities. Though some made other such list but not top 10. Some major world cities with large actual slums are ruled out too as none of these cities have? This list.... is of VERY WHITE cities too. Just saying ..... not that there is some motive involved. I am surprised more European cities do not top this list? A sign of changing times in its cities perhaps?

Old 08-18-2017, 10:50 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,303,292 times
Interesting.

Almost everybody is singling out climate....it's only ne metric
out of many that makes for a livable city.

Hey you heat lovers....there are plenty of nice hot cities in India for ya
I hear New Delhi in april just before the monsoon is delightful,
average highs in th 40C range (over 100F) and nice toasty nights
where the temperatures barely fall below 30C....sign me up

Nah, I'll take my boring a$$ four season cool climate, thank you

Old 08-19-2017, 01:12 PM

7,502 posts, read 6,321,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I'm very skeptical of this list. Calgary has a very poor climate, is very isolated, and has poor public transportation. Vancouver also has a poor climate and is extremely expensive. I would think that cities like Nice, Barcelona, Monaco, Genoa, Rome, etc, would dominate the list
Rome is an amazing place but certainly not the most "livable" city whatever that means.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:05 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,509,821 times
Calgary, Adelaide, Perth & Auckland, really? Four cities I would never want to live in. BS like most of these rankings.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:18 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,362,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Interesting.

Almost everybody is singling out climate....it's only ne metric
out of many that makes for a livable city.

Hey you heat lovers....there are plenty of nice hot cities in India for ya
I hear New Delhi in april just before the monsoon is delightful,
average highs in th 40C range (over 100F) and nice toasty nights
where the temperatures barely fall below 30C....sign me up

Nah, I'll take my boring a$$ four season cool climate, thank you
That's because climate is the biggest issue in many of these cities. I dont think its the most important factor, but climate in some Canadian cities (or Indian cities for that matter) is very extreme, enough to have a negative impact of life. When winters are cloudy and dark and have very low temperatures for long periods of time it affects your mental health, and likewise in a city like New Delhi where it's 40°C for most of the time

Other issues, like safety and quality of life, are more important, but there are not any dangerous cities on the top of the list

Old 08-19-2017, 05:23 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,362,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Calgary, Adelaide, Perth & Auckland, really? Four cities I would never want to live in. BS like most of these rankings.
Aside from Auckland, me neither. These cities are all very isolated which i think affects their quality

Old 08-19-2017, 07:55 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,371,110 times
Livable must not equate with affordable. Vancouver, British Columbia?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...ticle33702895/

Oh wait. CNN is the source.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:30 PM

4,640 posts, read 13,948,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
1. Melbourne, Australia
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Vancouver, Canada
4. Toronto, Canada
= 5. Calgary, Canada
= 5. Adelaide, Australia
7. Perth, Australia
8. Auckland, New Zealand
9. Helsinki, Finland
10. Hamburg, Germany

Source:World's 10 most livable cities in 2017 - CNN | CNN Travel
Thoughts"

I agre with Melbourne and Vienna. I would replace Adelaide with Sydney, Munich or Zurich. Calgary seems odd too. I would replace Perth with Stockholm and Helsinki with Amsterdam. Also Hamburg with Geneva
Wondering what the behind the scenes motives are to have Vienna Austria go below Melbourne Australia that quickly. Way too much dominance surrounding controversies of how top notch Canadian, Australian cities are ending up. Honestly, excessively suburban for the ultimate urbanite. Or getting precariously close at the wrath of obsolete low density sprawl. Strangely baffling that is the Germany city of reference when Munich, Dresden, Leipzig, Berlin are clearly superior on the aesthetics consistently. Other posters are able to name possibly 20 other German major communities way before Hamburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
San Diego has been called the city with the best climate in the world. That should have put it somewhere on this list. I'm dubious of the list too.
Ew, San Diego climate is utterly disgusting. Bore me to tears. Give me a vibrant enough exciting annual experience while simultaneously staying “pleasant” enough. Whatever that means. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lankaran Preferring even colder December-January, yet perfect. San Diego is the worst climate on this Planet. Case closed.

I am not a weather troll. Always focusing on other specific measures for habitability scale. Architecture, Independent Business Stores, Neighborhoods, Proximity To Other Destination Zones Not Too Far Away, Stable Enough, Cosmopolitan Welcoming To Foreigners.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:14 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,555,498 times
The discussions surrounding these lists goes to show everyone has their different wants and needs and its pretty difficult to rank how "livable" a city is.

Infrastructure, crime and economy are the only universal subjects most people can agree on they need in their life.

No one wants high crime, no jobs and poor city services.

Crap like culture can not be measured and its so subjective, just sounds snobby as sh-t judging a city by its art museums and crap.

A medium sized city in Canada would probably be the best of all worlds, of course there is weather that is a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World