Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 03:23 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That's what I said.
Not really.
You said "For those that do go to the sex tourism areas, chances of having problems are higher".

Many so-called sex-tourists i know don't drink alcohol at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 10:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
If you can't resist alcohol or drugs, you are greatly increasing your travel risk even if you go to the Vatican. If you want to travel, leave your bar-hopping at home, and you are extremely unlikely to have any problems.

Do your sightseeing in the daytime, sleep at night, don't go over a limit of one drink a day, in the daytime.

Common sense would indicate that drinking and sex tourism occur in pretty much the same neighborhood, and it is the neighborhood that is dangerous, whether or not your are drinking or buying sex. But engaging in either will erode your protective judgment while you are there.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:49 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,111 times
I don't get the feeling that the OP is really looking for a different opinion but obviously just a confirmation that her style of travel is rational and correct. I personally wouldn't travel with a tour company and don't see much value in it unless you're that nervous about places outside of your comfort zone. I won't rail against anxieties of people, though, as I know a few people who are definitely affected by their anxiety and only wish them the best.

I personally prefer to travel like Jtur. I want to go without much fanfare and definitely few plans, get off the airplane, take a random bus, and get to places I enjoy walking around in and talking to people and ordering local fare. Only then do I really feel like I saw or experienced things that I couldn't simply google about or read from a DK Travel Guide at Barnes and Noble and I especially don't want to pay to have other white people hold my hand.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:21 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,385 times
Very bargain tour can be found in very expensive country, i.e. Japan.

The trick is go with the locals. A few years back I did research online and found that there are some chain onsen (hot spring) hotels catered only to locals and advertised in Japanese only.

So I joined a tour online (Japan uses honor system that you don't need to place your credit card number for reservation; but lately some require because the honor system is abused by foreign tourists). It cost me 5,000 Yen pp only (about $47) which includes:

-- round trip coach bus from Tokyo to Kusatsu, Nagano (one of the best three water quality onsen in Japan) which is 3 hours one way;

-- dinner and breakfast buffet;

-- one tatami room for overnight sleep;

-- onsen bath as many times as you desire.

Afterwards I wrote my experience on Tripadvisor and generated over 7,000 views albeit I just gave it just one star. Now the Japanese customers complain that there are so many foreigners who don't know about the etiquette of onsen, i.e. Pakistani and Chinese, flooding the onsen hotel.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:35 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
One hears and reads so often from people who travel about

this country being "too expensive" or that country being way more "affordable/bargain" when discussing travel destinations,

but do some of these people not even factor in the general correlation that "expensive" countries are expensive because standard of living, level of infrastructure, health and safety, education/literacy which translates to better linguistic communication are all at a higher level than countries that are seen as cheap and affordable.

[...some content snipped...]

What are you thoughts? Do people NOT factor this in? Are other people just way more worldy than I and know how to handle themselves better than I would? Am I just a classist American afraid of poor people??
I get what you're saying... you just prefer your "creature comforts" when you travel, so yes, travelling in style in a developing country will set you back a pretty penny in many cases. The more remote a region, the more challenging it can be to arrange comfortable transportation. Or to find a state-of-the-art, modern hotel.

But, heck, you can travel rough even in the U.S. You could travel cross-country by Greyhound bus if you were up to it. You could stay in your car, or camp out, or rent rooms by the hour in dodgy neighbourhoods. I guess in theory, you could jump freight trains and do the old fashioned "hobo" routes. You are limited only by your imagination and your capacity for thrift.

If you put a premium on safety, cleanliness, amenities, etc., then you will probably pay quite a bit more for your vacation.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:34 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 11 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,924,923 times
Woah, Switzerland is really at another level of categorization with the travel journey excursions. Especially compared to neighboring France, Italy, Austria, Germany ending up infinitely more affordable. Intentionally avoiding Switzerland to reach more travel deals in the Austrian Alps and into the Northern regions of Italy: Liguria, Piedmont, Liguria.

Qatar is incredibly affordable with representing how high annual income wealth isn’t correlating to more expensive prices for every bought item.

Inflated currencies are always funny. With Czech Republic Koruna or Vietnamese Dong people may think they are spending thousands to billions on a dinner meal, yet only $50 at the highest amount when converting to another currency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World