Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:23 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,613,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
the customer service America has cannot be compared!!!

America has excellent customer service, professional, ethical, respectful!!! I love it a lot

Europe's customer service is in the dark ages!! rude, impolite, lazy

the only thing America has is some nasty customers who abuse the excellent customer service America has!

That's meaningless statement. Sweden, Britain and Greece are all in "Europe" and all very different culturally and as far as what goes for customer service. For example, need the local authority to fix your streetlight? In Sweden they turn up before you even asked, in Britain they turn up on the day appointed, and in Greece... Well they have good food, vacation destinations and weather.

Europe is a continent, not a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 03:00 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,500,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
The US seems to be very standardized..... meaning every city will have the same exact stores, restaurants, etc..

Sometimes a shopping plaza in Los Angeles will look exactly identical to one in Massachusetts which looks exactly like one in Florida, which looks like one in Texas and Seattle.

You can always find a Starbucks, Chilis, Ruby Tuesday, Chipotle, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Supermarket, Macys, a mall, a PetSmart, an Ulta, Barnes and Noble, Bahama Breeze, random burger chain, random Chinese food, PF Changs, Bonefish Grill..... in every city in America.....

Also, depending on which region u are...u will find variations...ie. California has "In-n-Out Burger" Texas has "WhattaBurger"...the east coast has "5 Guys burgers" etc....

As far as hospitals go... Um, I think they're all generally good, but it's the cost of them that is prohibitive. If one does not have health insurance, you're screwed.

Food selection in the US? While there is a ton of food selection, if you're like me who tries to eat healthy, you'll find most of it to be crap. Pure and utter crap everywhere. Fast food chains everywhere... Chain restaurants everywhere.... Low quality, high in sugar and salt food is so accessible it's no wonder we have an obesity prob here in the US. It's actually difficult to find healthy eating.... like fresh veggies? U either gotta make ur own or go to a decent restaurant for some. Forget just grabbing some on the go at a chain fast food joint or even chain restaurants.... they're nearly impossible to get. However there is a recent trend is a lot of stores opening up a "fast casual" healthy eating salad joints where one can grab a wrap or a salad, but even that stuff....seems so packaged and assembly-line like....it all feels like it lacks a soul...like it's a plastic salad... idk lol.
I make it a point to never step foot into any chains...especially national chains (so I forgive, say In n' out and other regional ones). I don't even visit malls for the same reason. They're just endless chains, and they give me headaches. Having that said, even with me not stepping into any chains, I still have lots of variety, especially when it comes to food...though not so much when it comes to retail (I'm a terrible consumer anyways...as i don't have a need to buy useless $hit.)

I live in Orange County, California...and never have a problem with finding amazing and authentic Mexican, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Taiwanese, Salvadorean, Indian (mostly Punjabi), Persian, Japanese, Argentinean etc etc. Also, as a vegetarian, I've become pretty good at knowing which establishments serve healthy meals. At least in my pocket of California, I don't find it that difficult to eat out and eat healthy and on the go (such as with Green Tomato Grill: http://www.greentomatogrill.com/), as the customer based out here is very health conscious and the restaurants know they have to have options for that sector or risk losing business. Not to mention, just about every city, and neighborhood within cities, has a farmers market (just check out this map: http://www.laweekly.com/squidink/201...ide-google-map)..so fresh produce is abundant, even if you don't go into many of the specialty markets out here (like Mother's Market : MothersMarket.com Home Page - which has a delicious all vegan kitchen buffet.)

Funny enough, Los Angeles, home to both McDonalds and Taco Bell, is also home to the next generation of chains, which are health oriented, such as Tender Greens (http://www.tendergreens.com/#) and the Veggie Grill (http://veggiegrill.com/). Then again, the LA region is a bit special, as trends tend to start here and eventually spread to the rest of the country.

Unfortunately, the U.S. does have a lot of what are known as 'food deserts', meaning that in those areas, it is difficult to come across any healthy food options, even just a supermarket to buy basic produce at. This is especially true in poor urban areas, where you are more likely to find a McDonald's than a grocery store. The upside is that we are starting to a see a grassroots movement towards urban farming, and it is these areas that have the most to gain. (This is one in Long Beach, CA: http://www3.lacdc.org/CDCWebsite/TGE/Home.aspx ; a bit of what the city is doing to promote urban agriculture: http://www.longbeach.gov/citymanager...n_agriculture/ )

Last edited by RudyOD; 11-21-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 03:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,687,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I make it a point to never step foot into any chains...especially national chains (so I forgive, say In n' out and other regional ones). I don't even visit malls for the same reason. They're just endless chains, and they give me headaches. Having that said, even with me not stepping into any chains, I still have lots of variety, especially when it comes to food...though not so much when it comes to retail (I'm a terrible consumer anyways...as i don't have a need to buy useless $hit.)

I live in Orange County, California...and never have a problem with finding amazing and authentic Mexican, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Taiwanese, Salvadorean, Indian (mostly Punjabi), Persian, Japanese, Argentinean etc etc. Also, as a vegetarian, I've become pretty good at knowing which establishments serve healthy meals. At least in my pocket of California, I don't find it that difficult to eat out and eat healthy and on the go (such as with Green Tomato Grill: Green Tomato Grill - Home), as the customer based out here is very health conscious and the restaurants know they have to have options for that sector or risk losing business. Not to mention, just about every city, and neighborhood within cities, has a farmers market (just check out this map: The Ultimate L.A. Farmers Market Guide + Google Map! | Squid Ink | Los Angeles | Los Angeles News and Events | LA Weekly)..so fresh produce is abundant, even if you don't go into many of the specialty markets out here (like Mother's Market : MothersMarket.com Home Page - which has a delicious all vegan kitchen buffet.)

Funny enough, Los Angeles, home to both McDonalds and Taco Bell, is also home to the next generation of chains, which are health oriented, such as Tender Greens (Tender Greens) and the Veggie Grill (VeggieGrill). Then again, the LA region is a bit special, as trends tend to start here and eventually spread to the rest of the country.

Unfortunately, the U.S. does have a lot of what are known as 'food deserts', meaning that in those areas, it is difficult to come across any healthy food options, even just a supermarket to buy basic produce at. This is especially true in poor urban areas, where you are more likely to find a McDonald's than a grocery store. The upside is that we are starting to a see a grassroots movement towards urban farming, and it is these areas that have the most to gain. (This is one in Long Beach, CA: The Growing Experience - An Urban Farm ; a bit of what the city is doing to promote urban agriculture: City of Long Beach, CA - Urban Agriculture )
" food deserts ". I'll remember that one.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:35 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,767,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
4. Selection: The selection of almost anything in the US is astonishing. I suppose that's because we are a large country. The two things that this is most apparent in is breakfast cereal and pop. Between the "healthy" cereals, the "normal" cereals, and the "bag" (cheaper) cereals, I can choose from about 50 cold cereals at any grocery store.
Not a corner grocery store, but I counted 65 different sorts of cereals at to the local smallish supermarket. I'll try and do the same in a bigger one to see if the count is higher. Saw "bag" cereals there that weren't on sale in the small one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Paris also has thousands and thousands of public bathrooms. They often start with [i]Rue de (...)
Reading the first sentence I was like "wtf". Then I noticed the second one.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:09 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,616,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I remember British supermarkets as being rather large. Haven't seen ones elsewhere in Europe.
Not in France? It is France that first introduced large supermarket in Europe, the first opened more than 40 years ago with Carrefour.
Some of those big supermarket (hypermarché en French) are over 200,000 sq ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World