Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,583,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

Is that the "DEY TOOK ER JOBS!!!" episode?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 01:58 PM

7,506 posts, read 6,319,994 times
I'm not a worldly traveler, but I have done a few cruises and I always try to have a conversation with whoever I am around. When the other party says "You Americans bla, bla, bla, etc", I always look for an exit.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:02 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,031,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I'm not a worldly traveler, but I have done a few cruises and I always try to have a conversation with whoever I am around. When the other party says "You Americans bla, bla, bla, etc", I always look for an exit.
lol! yeah, then you walk away and they get on the message boards and say how rude Americans are because they won't listen to us whine about something we have no clue about

Old 02-13-2014, 05:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,119,826 times
Many of my southern, Republican relatives (who have never been abroad) believe in "American Exceptionalism." They think America's status quo is perfect, including
1) 30,000 or so murders a year (40% of America's guns are bought at gun shows, with no background checks),
2) hospitals that charge $75 for an aspirin, sometimes several thousand dollars for an E.R. outpatient observation and EKG (as reported in "Consumer Reports" magazine),
3) overall health costs three times that of European nations, with no better results
4) a very inadequate and skimpy passenger Train system that's a national embarassment (whose rail cars, for no reason, weigh twice that of Europe's rail cars, and use more fuel),
5) a defense budget larger than the entire rest of the world combined (something like 11 times that of the nation in second place),
6) many, many times the ratio of lawyers as in Europe and Japan
7) corporate CEO's who earn an average of 100 or 200 times the salary of other workers (compared with a ratio of only 20 or 30 in Europe and Canada).
8) billions of dollars in taxpayers' money to build pro sports stadiums, in cities nationwide, for owners who themselves are billionaires.

They think USA was ordained by God to be the leader and policeman for the world, and anyone who constructively suggests just maybe comparing ideas from other countries is a "Traitor" and "why don't you go live somewhere else if you don't like it."

Last edited by slowlane3; 02-13-2014 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 02:06 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,396,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
People here are very open to solutions derived from other countries. We admire Germany's economy, Finland's education system etc.
Do you live in the UK?

Old 02-14-2014, 02:07 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,691,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Do you live in the UK?
Yes.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,031,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
People here are very open to solutions derived from other countries. We admire Germany's economy, Finland's education system etc.
At least you were smart enough to stay away from the Euro

Old 02-14-2014, 02:09 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,396,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post

They think USA was ordained by God to be the leader and policeman for the world, and anyone who constructively suggests just maybe comparing ideas from other countries is a "Traitor" and "why don't you go live somewhere else if you don't like it."
Yes, it's exactly the feeling I got while telling Americans about some good practices from other countries (not even mine). There is no even possibility for a discussion.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:59 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,024,920 times
I think the biggest and best change we could make in the US is to adopt Canadian campaign finance processes.

US campaign financing is so corrupt. You need over ONE BILLION dolars to run for US President. Nobody thinks that is a travesty? Nobody thinks that billionaires are just buying elections?

Seriously, I think these other issues are dwarfed by this problem.

By I do get annoyed by the snarky tone of some people when they look down on us Muricans. It's a country with 50 states and 300 million people. You can't pretend that it's the same as a country with only 10 million.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,583,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I think the biggest and best change we could make in the US is to adopt Canadian campaign finance processes.

US campaign financing is so corrupt. You need over ONE BILLION dolars to run for US President. Nobody thinks that is a travesty? Nobody thinks that billionaires are just buying elections?

Seriously, I think these other issues are dwarfed by this problem.

By I do get annoyed by the snarky tone of some people when they look down on us Muricans. It's a country with 50 states and 300 million people. You can't pretend that it's the same as a country with only 10 million.
I would be worried if a non billionaire was running the country lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World