Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:18 AM

692 posts, read 1,356,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Cereal is primarily an American thing. Most other countries shy away from a processed breakfast and really processed foods as a whole.
We eat Breakfast Cereal in the UK, and most supermarkets stock a wide selection.

As for traditinal cereals, Porridge was is one of the oldest breakfast cereals and is very European, as is Muesli, which originated in Switzerland.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ..._sws-1_cereals

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estor...questid=175736
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,256,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think you're probably right... I haven't done any research into this, but it seems cereal - like breakfast cereals that you serve with milk and fruit - were introduced by the Quaker and Mormon communities that settled in America.

Interesting. I just read a bit on the origins of processed cereals. America, late 1800's, vegetarianism or bowel problems, and convenience...the Americam way!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Interesting. The stereotype of Europeans is that they know a lot about America, but the notion that 'fast food' = typical American food defeats that notion.

Sure those are American, but beef, ham, potatoes, pasta, seafood, and veg are real American food. Hamburgers and hot dogs are treats except for the most vulgar tastes (to which I myself am victim ;-).
Ham and potatoes are German, pasta Italian.

Quote:
Cereal is primarily an American thing. Most other countries shy away from a processed breakfast and really processed foods as a whole.
Muesli and breakfast grains are European.
The processed stuff is from the US.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM

202 posts, read 568,595 times
The only American thing I never found in Spain is root beer, everything else is here.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:26 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,488,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
We eat Breakfast Cereal in the UK, and most supermarkets stock a wide selection.

As for traditinal cereals, Porridge was is one of the oldest breakfast cereals and is very European, as is Muesli, which originated in Switzerland.

Search (cereals) - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Cookies Detecting!

That is why I used the word most. U.S. closely reflects its ways from England. Yes there are large differences but many similarities from the rule 200+ yrs ago.

Also when Americans talk cereal it is usually the variety that is served cold, usually crunchy and with milk. Oatmeal and Porridge while cereal is usually not referred to as such.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,395,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I’m sure they are, but they are used in lots of different cuisines through the world, I don’t really associate them directly to the USA.

BTW I have being taking an interest in Soutern US foods of late, and have cooked up a ham hock lentil soup and a Jambalaya in the last couple of weeks - Both delicious, but you don’t have to go to the ethnic section of the supermarket to get any of the ingredients, its just a different combination of ingrediants i use all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ham and potatoes are German, pasta Italian.

Muesli and breakfast grains are European.
The processed stuff is from the US.
All this just serves my point that the reason you don't see an 'American Food Aisle' is because American food simply reflects the foods of the origins of the population which is primarily European.

I mean, people bring up Hot Dogs and Hamburgers. German food, really. I think Norwegians eat more Hot Dogs (polser) than Americans and minced meat formed into a patty, the hamburger, existed long before any Europeans set foot in the New World.

One of the 'real' American foods that is not common elsewhere is peanut butter.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:25 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,062,091 times
Quote:
Also when Americans talk cereal it is usually the variety that is served cold, usually crunchy and with milk. ...
and LOTS of sugar!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,292,881 times
I see Pringles over here (UK), sometimes hotdogs in brine in a jar, and there's a line of stuff at Lidl called "American style" (McKenney?) but having tried some of their products (e.g. Thousand Island and Ceasar salad dressing) - not impressed. I have heard rumours of people finding Kraft Dinner (macaroni and cheese) - also I regularly see "French's mustard" (which I think is American)(?) - which is one thing I DO buy!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:41 PM

692 posts, read 1,356,478 times
Quote:
That is why I used the word most. U.S. closely reflects its ways from England. Yes there are large differences but many similarities from the rule 200+ yrs ago.

Also when Americans talk cereal it is usually the variety that is served cold, usually crunchy and with milk. Oatmeal and Porridge while cereal is usually not referred to as such.
Americans have a big agricultural industry and cereals produced by companies such as Kelloggs became leading international brands along with brands such as Shredded Wheat and Quaker, however other countries such as Australia also produced major global cereal companies such as Weetabix (who also now own other brands such as Alpen) and companies such as Scott's Porage Oats are also amongst the brand leaders in parts of Europe.

The cereal market has grown massively over the last century with major international food compoanies such as Swiss company Nestlé moving on to the market to become one of the largest producers of cereals in Europe, producing American cereals under licence.

http://www.nestle.co.uk/brands/Pages...stCereals.aspx

In Britain we have had cereals such as Kellogs Cornflakes, Shredded Wheat, Rice Krispies, Cocoa Pops and numerous others for a very long time long , and there have been factories here producing such products in places like Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire since the 1920's, whilst US Companies such as Heinz and companies such as Procter and Gamble also have massive plants in Britain stemming from the same period.

Last edited by Mulhall; 04-12-2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 02:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,062,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
One of the 'real' American foods that is not common elsewhere is peanut butter.
And that is an interesting history, too... though the peanut is said to be originally from South America, it made it's way to Africa via early South American explorers and trade with Spain, before it became a steady crop in America. I think it was the African slaves or the Spanish explorers that brought the peanut to America. And it was the Italians who were the first ones to roast and salt the peanuts... yum.

Though, I think it was some American dude who "invented" peanut butter... he was looking for an easily digestible high protein food for poor people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World