Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 07:42 AM

485 posts, read 1,839,733 times

Advertisements

I once had a dream job as a Human Resources Director for one of the most prestigious employers in the area. When I got that job I jumped for joy. It was the highlight of my career. I had arrived!

The pay was great, I had a huge office, lots of responsibility, great coworkers, traveled first class and tons of prestige. But the boss was never happy with my work. He constantly complained and I was always on performance warning. My performance according to him was marginal. Not bad enough to get fired but not good either. I worked so hard to please that difficult man.

Finally he got tired of it all and at my two years anniversary, I was pulled into his office and fired. I had ten minutes to clear out my things and leave. No severance pay or reference.

It took me almost a year to find a new job and I never was able to make as much money or be in a similar type job ever. Because of the location of my old employer, I am forced to drive by it all the time. I am always reminded of my failure in that job as I drive to work and pass by my old office.

Anyone else fail in a previous job and still affected by it?

Last edited by Refugee56; 10-14-2008 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 07:53 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,849 times
May I ask what job it was

Were you doing a lousy job for two straight years?

if so, they gave you plenty of chances so they must have liked you

I have made mistakes, and I relive them all the time

sometimes I think I am depressed, but as i continue to gloat I start to feel better about it for some reason

It is like a strange cycle, I start thinking about bad things, but then it all gets better, and this in in a matter of one hour

Old 10-14-2008, 07:57 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,793 times
Yes, all the time. I say the three of us get into therapy together.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:33 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,849 times
whos gonna pay

Old 10-14-2008, 06:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
Your employers need to pay for your group therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
whos gonna pay

Old 10-14-2008, 06:15 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Everyone gets sucker-punched at a job sometime in their life. It's not a career, it's a job

Just remember that and you'll be fine.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times
Oh yes...

A few years ago I was hired as an admin assistant at a non-profit. Within 2 months I was promoted to a communications coordinator and was given a salary boost. A few months later the executive director (who had been nice to me for months, but who I was warn by others was Dr Jeckle/Hyde personality) called me in his office and said he was going to demote me b/c I was trying to get pregnant and that he could afford to lose me as an admin assistant but not as a communications coordinator down the line. I quit on the spot. Couldn't turn to anyone really. My word against his. Took him to the board of directors but I think all they did was talk to him.
I think about this place all the time. We ended up moving out of state a little less than a year later, but still. I loved the work, the people I helped, most of the other co-workers. I too felt like I was sucker punched. I loved this place despite the fact that I was sexually harassed by a few and a few other weird things. Just sad. I think it gets to me b/c I didn't do anything wrong, HE DID, and yet I had to leave. (I couldn't stay there and let him do that to me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment