Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 11:10 AM

24 posts, read 6,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
It's not illegal. Employers could pay an administrative assistant an engineers salary and an actual engineer could be paid less than said administrative assistant. I have seen it many places. It depends on the politics of the office and how they view you. You can make a stink about it and back it up with your experience, accomplishments, etc. or you could leave, do better, get paid your commensurate salary.
A reliable and competent administrative assistant is pure gold for an organisation, the best I’ve worked with practically runs their department yet they get paid pittance. I don’t see the problem with them getting paid more than junior engineers, since their real term value is probably genuinely greater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 12:30 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,361,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimijel View Post
A reliable and competent administrative assistant is pure gold for an organisation, the best I’ve worked with practically runs their department yet they get paid pittance. I don’t see the problem with them getting paid more than junior engineers, since their real term value is probably genuinely greater.
No doubt. However, I've seen some admins make more than experienced licensed engineers and architects. That's a WTF moment. OTOH, if the admin works for the partner, principal, CEO, etc. than those are outliers where, as you mentioned, they are vital to the organization and are paid commensurate to their contribution to the firm.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:01 PM

9,525 posts, read 4,350,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
I am part of a small team of 4 that they want to perform the duties of the "Lead" as it called. The other three are already trained on the new work but since I was out of the office due to medical issues (Cancer diagnosis followed by surgery/treatment), I have yet to have the training.

The others apparently raised no ire at this but I don't see how my work can train us and expect us to perform the same duties as the better paid Lead without raising our/my pay to match. If I'm going to take on more responsibilities, I personally expect to be paid for that. While the others on my team are the "Keep your head down, do whatever is asked of you like a good soldier," I am not that. It seems like my employer is trying to get away with something illegal/against contract.
Your being given an opportunity to demonstrate your leaderships skills. It's a good thing. This is how people move up the corporate ladder.

Old Today, 02:36 PM

20,147 posts, read 9,036,439 times
if you have health problems and get your health insurance through work I'd keep my mouth shut until I at least attended the training. I'd probably look for an opportunity to fire you if this was trivial and your reaction to the word "lead" was overstated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment