Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,139,164 times

Advertisements

I left a prestigious high paying job to be a SAHM. I got tired of working 80 hour weeks for a soulless company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 09:49 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,804,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP, perhaps you can add some details of your situation, considerations, and thought process.

Without that, I don't know why it matters whether a person was "a world class research, scientist or technologist" or an attorney, or engineer, or whatever......giving up a high-fly job is giving up a high-flying job.
Basically there are 2 different cases, they can overlap but, one where the high income is given up, the other is where world class achievements are given up. Money versus intellectual stimulus. It is something exciting when you create something that never existed before, by using your intellect, something that indirectly affects the lives of millions. First time touching some technology that will years later be in textbooks. Either of these 2 can be a reason for taking an exhausting job in an unbearable place. But for how long...
I design hardware that is as high end as it can get, borderline physics science in silicon valley.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:51 AM

10,645 posts, read 12,243,990 times
OK and....so...a person could end up in text books...unless MONEY comes with it....
Notoriety is great but some are into it for the selfish need to be fawned over.

Quote:
the other is where world class achievements are given up. Money versus intellectual stimulus. It is something exciting when you create something that never existed before, by using your intellect, something that indirectly affects the lives of millions. First time touching some technology that will years later be in textbooks. Either of these 2 can be a reason for taking an exhausting job in an unbearable place.
^^
Of course, I'd have to talk with the person in question and have varied discussions. Because you could be a person who is caught up in his own ego. Personally, I'm not into fame and "posterity." IF, in the course of my normal work I'd do something of world greatness, great. But it sounds like the person you describe would be chasing greatest, just for the fame of it. Not because that's what they really wanted to do as an occupation.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:20 PM

5,346 posts, read 6,197,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Berkeley EE PhD program $30k/semester. Times 8 = $240k.
But please, it's off topic.
You have to pay to get a PhD from UC Berkeley? That sucks.

One quote that stuck with me when I was applying for PhD programs was from a mentor:

"If you have to pay for your PhD the school either doesn't want you that bad or it's not a school you want a PhD from".

On the main topic. I was a hi-po in the tech arm of a fortune 20 company and was about 12 months from being a director of data science and I gave it up to work for a smaller consulting firm. I didn't take a pay cut, it was about a 5-10% bump, but my old pay structure was ~20% bonus, ~15% stock and 65% salary. My new role is 94% salary and 6% bonus, so more guaranteed every year. I also get to work from home, and just recently got offered stock options vesting over a 7 year period for the company as well.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:42 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,804,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OK and....so...a person could end up in text books...unless MONEY comes with it....
Notoriety is great but some are into it for the selfish need to be fawned over.

^^
Of course, I'd have to talk with the person in question and have varied discussions. Because you could be a person who is caught up in his own ego. Personally, I'm not into fame and "posterity." IF, in the course of my normal work I'd do something of world greatness, great. But it sounds like the person you describe would be chasing greatest, just for the fame of it. Not because that's what they really wanted to do as an occupation.
so, every person who works in research or science are ego maniacs?
Fame does not always come with it, at least outside of the research field. The end users will have no idea who developed some technology. So it's not (just) fame, rather the knowledge of creating something great that is useful for a lot of people. Some are consumer goods providing comfort or entertainment, others save or improve lives (like bio-med research). Have you ever made anything? Also people working on big movies, or athletes playing in national league teams. Leaving a (small) mark in the world while you are alive is something that many people want to do. But is it worth it in on a long term?

Last edited by buenos; 04-30-2019 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-30-2019, 01:31 PM

5,345 posts, read 14,191,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I would imagine most people below age 45 today never even had the option of a "high flying career" these days to give up on, so you probably won't get a huge amount of responses except from retirees?
ANOTHER ridiculous statement from one cent.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:36 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,060,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Student debt is 100% optional. Many people have successful lives without debt.
Looking at your posts, guess you are an immigrant with an "all education and living expense" paid by parents abroad.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:05 PM

10,645 posts, read 12,243,990 times
Quote:
so, every person who works in research or science are ego maniacs?
Not at all. I didn't say, nor did I imply, that.
As you say, most of the considerations a person weighs when thinking about leaving any kind of "high-flying" job are common to all. (Even among those who don't have 'high-flying' jobs.)

Quote:
So it's not (just) fame, rather the knowledge of creating something great that is useful for a lot of people. Some are consumer goods providing comfort or entertainment, others save or improve lives (like bio-med research).
All I meant to convey was that those could be ego driven factors.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:06 PM

119 posts, read 68,759 times
I never had a high flying career but I figured I'd respond anyways. I have an MBA and I am choosing (trying to get into the field, actually) a career as a high/middle school teacher over a business career. Basically I was looking for a job that paid at least a middle-class salary, and that, at least to me, did not feel like "work" and therefore I would enjoy it (although teachers of course work hard). I like teaching, and I like the time off teachers get during the year. I did not want to reflect on my life as an old man and have memories largely composed of being in some cubical or office for so long.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:20 AM

1,547 posts, read 1,556,550 times
I did years ago. The Business Administration degree is a joke. I wanted to move to Atlanta or DC back in the early '90's and get a high profile job. Was willing to work my way up the ladder, but most companies wanted to put me in the mail room, or even in their receiving departments. Got so upset. I knew I didn't need a degree to work in the mail room or a shipping/receiving department. I stopped reaching for the stars, and decided to reach for the paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment