Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:49 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,080,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Why do you need the money?
Im going to go out on a limb here and say they have bills to pay, food to put on the table, possible debt they want to get out of, savings to build, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 09:02 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,121,164 times
To the OP, I was in a similar situation.

My company was downsizing and the writing was on the wall (golf course business in Myrtle Beach).

I was able to hang in their long enough, got fired (downsized), got a nice severance, and was able to file for unemployement.

My hubs took me on a week vaycay to South Beach to cheer me up and I came back refreshed and hit the job hunting pavement like a maniac.

Ended up with a better job.

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2017, 09:18 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I need to vent so here it goes:

I am in this situation now. It's a minimum waged job that I have been doing for the last 4 years. I am 46 years old. I took the job because at the time when I was laid off from a job as an assistant to an insurance broker the market was soft and I couldn't get a job. The job I am currently in was great up until a month ago. It's a franchise and one of the stores closed in September due to lack of business. I am at their other location and everyone is young enough to be one of my kids with the exception of the owners daughter who's 10 years younger than me and is the manager. I was manager at their other location but have since been demoted because they already have someone else to open and run the store till I come on shift. I feel as if I am pushed aside and every little thing I do is either wrong or not done properly. it's getting to the point where my co-workers are texting the manager anything I do that they think is incorrect or not to their approval. No one has balls to say things to my face it seems. it's all done in text. I told my the manager who I felt very close too up until recently to stop texting me on my time off and that it's my personal time. If she has issues with me to talk to me face to face. Well she is coming in at 12 to speak to me. I have had it!!!! My husband agrees with me. If I quit I won't receive unemployment but if they fire me at least I have something. I have decided to get back into the insurance business and I had one interview last week and another this Tuesday. I have been sending out my resume on Indeed for the last 2 weeks. I also don't get paid time off or health benefits. I was good at my job, I had a great reputation with my customers at the other location, I was well liked by the community. They loved coming there because of me. The manager has decided she'll write me up from now on, let her!!! I always do my best no matter what job I have had.
I'm sorry that you're going through all of that.You will get a much better job in the end..please hang in there!
Also it seems like this world is so full of cowards nowadays with their stupid texting.I don't text...the hell with that.I am like you..if you have something to say to me...tell me to my face or hey...CALL me and tell me over the phone...at least have the guts enough to let me hear your voice.Technology has really made people a bunch of spineless cowards...it's only getting worse...anyways you will get a better job.When you do...tell the old job where to stick it...NOT over text of course but to their face.You will feel so much better.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:30 AM

370 posts, read 505,216 times
My current job. They took a massive hit this year with revenue..and my BOSS made some awful choices in hiring so now the admin will likely take the hit in losing and that's ME. I'm not upset at all. I don't want to stay in a place that is miserable to come to and too much work as is...

To me, have you ever left a job that was so god awful that when you started your new job you could have kicked yourself for staying? I am not sure if I will let them terminate me (I think they will play dirty and set me up for fire) or start looking...either way, they are doomed and it's not my problem. I wish them good luck as the Titanic has already hit the iceberg and is sinking.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:41 PM

11,147 posts, read 10,720,307 times
I hated one job so much that I actively tried to get fired. Well, in fairness, it was my direct supervisor that I hated. He was a small-minded, evil person who looked at his position as justification to treat his employees like crap.

To explain how hard I was trying to get fired, when I saw him in the mornings I would greet him with a merry, "Good morning, Satan, how did you sleep?" I would also put up a firm resistance when he tried to change my route (I was a regional delivery driver), one time going as far as answering "Well, how is the customer going to get his delivery?" with "You have a pickup truck, it's a beautiful day for a drive" and heading to my work truck to start my normal day. He hated me, I hated him, and the guys in the warehouse would use that to their advantage. I only had two runs that were dedicated to me, both overnight runs. On Wednesday, the only day that I didn't have an assigned route, the warehouse guys would try to arrange it so that I didn't have a route at all and could stay in the warehouse all day. The reason? Because when the boss entered the warehouse and saw me he would turn around, go to his office, and stay there for the day. It meant he wasn't making their lives miserable.

At the time I was still young enough to react stupidly on occasion, and this job was not a shining moment for me. I should have found another job and put in my notice, but I loved the job itself - if he wasn't involved in it - and refused to quit something that I was actually very good at. Similarly, the reason that he wouldn't fire me was that I was the only person capable of running my route effectively. I knew every back road in the areas that I was responsible for, and could finish the route in 3-4 hours less time than others took.

I did finally end up quitting after he refused to let me take a day off for a very good friend's funeral - even though I notified him of the funeral 4 days ahead of time and I had plenty of vacation stacked up to cover the day. I did not give notice, but showed up on my way to the funeral, dropped my suits in his office, and said I quit.

4 months later, he called me and offered my job back with a $4 per hour raise (yes, $4), all benefits restored as if I never left, and the added perk of not having to work Wednesdays at all unless I wanted to. While I was tempted, I turned the offer down because he would still be my boss. His reason for basically begging me to come back was that due to the inability of anyone else to run my routes efficiently my two overnight runs were split in half and with two people out overnight on Monday and Thursday they were still missing stops.

While the job was great, the management was enough to keep me from ever considering going back to it.

Moral of the story? Don't make yourself miserable like I did. I stayed at that job for 6 months longer than I should have because I was trying to make them fire me but at the same time unwilling to let my customers and coworkers down. It sucked, and I would never do it again. If you're unhappy, get the hell out as soon as you can.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:46 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,992,785 times
You dont want to be fired. You're better getting laid off

Old 10-21-2017, 01:51 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,026,021 times
If it's minimum wage then why are you hoping to get fired? Unemployment can't pay much on those earnings plus they would be trying to get you off fast since you're not a high wage earner holding out for a specialized job.
Just get a seasonal job for now for a paycheck and keep looking.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:27 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,534,753 times
Not exactly. I have been in a job i did not like when another opportunity came along. I goofed off and waited for them to fire me.
It worked out fine in the end.
Not sure this helps you but it worked for me.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:16 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,470,655 times
Your whole post was golden,
but this is my absolute fave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
To explain how hard I was trying to get fired, when I saw him in the mornings I would greet him with a merry, "Good morning, Satan, how did you sleep?"
A girl can dream.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:45 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,121,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Im going to go out on a limb here and say they have bills to pay, food to put on the table, possible debt they want to get out of, savings to build, etc....
So do you live your life in fear and make your employer your God or do you put your faith in Jesus. If an employer chooses to deal treacherously with you thats not on you, its also not on you that the society we live in could care less about their neighbors and tolerate things like at-will employment which easily allows for treacherous employers to attempt to wreck peoples lives.

Choose not to live in slavery. Debt is a big deal in our society, I had student loan debt and car debt, I paid it off as fast as possible because then you are a double slave to the debt holder and to your employer for basic living expenses, that is an incredibly dangerous place to be.

You cant control what some slimy evil employer is going to do and you should not live your life in fear of some sociopath, if you get fired you get fired. Build up your professional know how, skill sets etc, build your own brand but dont spend time being paranoid about being fired or let it consume your mind, think your way out of the situation.

Food is really not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, the anchor around peoples necks is student loans, car loans and the big one, mortages based on grossly over priced real estate across the country. If you are in an area where employers and bosses are acting like dietys and land lords dont give a crap about you and only care about the absolute maximum they can squeeze out of you then its time to leave.

If it comes down to it you can bankrupt out of most debts (other than student debt which is the most toxic debt you can possibly have). Student loan terms come straight out of hell, they are pure slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment