Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 07:13 PM

58 posts, read 83,557 times

Advertisements

So I've been at my company for a few months and I honestly had no idea that my title was more junior level within the context of the company. I have 4 yrs of overall experience and while my salary is significantly greater than my last job, I learned that:

A. I left $10-12k within my current role because when they asked my range, it was before I thought to look at Glassdoor and apparently the other sites had dated information. Additionally, I wasn't sure if I'd sound crazy asking for more than 30% higher than my previous role. My team even offered me more than my range, and even that was still 10-12k less than the maximum which I now know I could have more than asked for; especially considering how desperately they needed an Analyst.

B. I should have applied to a manager (perhaps even senior manager) role and based on the backgrounds of current managers/senior managers' qualifications.

The director of my team just took another role elsewhere and my boss (a senior manager) is going to apply for the director role of her boss. She's been on the team the longest, knows the segment the best and is a top performer so she has a great shot. This will leave a gap between analyst and senior manager level for our specialty within the team.

I am thinking to let my boss know I am interested in becoming a manager and essentially taking her place if she does get the director role. She said we'd still work closely and nothing would really change for me, but realistically, she wont be able to dig into the granular details as she will be managing a host of people and focused on more high level things. Most people stay in there roles for 12-18 months bare minimum before promotion. If she brought on someone new to take her place, she'd have to re-teach them which would take months, in addition to her having to learn her new role as director and then if anyone else left the team, she'd have to go through the hiring process, train those people too, etc.

It would be much more seamless to use someone very familiar with the work required/processes/flow since I've been working extremely close with her and in every meeting and CC'd on every email, coordinating everything with external agencies. Moreover, I've been doing exceptionally well, received a lot of awesome feedback about my work (especially when I took over when she went on vacay), and most of my previous experience is directly tied to the role (and on par with that of current managers/senior manager). I'm willing to take on more duties and learn her role fully. Honestly speaking, I am definitely over-qualified for my current position and see this as an opportunity to move up, albeit quickly. What do you guys think/know (if current/former AMEX employee or similar company).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment